Swamp Rat Proudly Introduces The Bog Runner ........ Coming Sunday February 5, 2023 At 9PM Eastern

Black canvas only... Probably what I'd go with anyway. I'll have to pick one up to try out the new (to me and Busse) blade steel.

ETA I say new to me but I think I have an old Camillus in this steel.

View attachment 2071129View attachment 2071130
In my limited experience edge holding goes to SR-101

Edit: limited experience with the new steel
I’d like to understand the staining/patina you guys are speaking of. I returned my SR101 blade because I thought it was starting to rust. I was wanting to buy something for steak nights. I have never seen infi do this before, buy 4-5 info blades for steak nights is not practical for my wallet.

I’d like to understand the staining/patina you guys are speaking of. I returned my SR101 blade because I thought it was starting to rust. I was wanting to buy something for steak nights. I have never seen infi do this before, buy 4-5 info blades for steak nights is not practical for my wallet.
Patina is a form of controlled rust to help protect against corrosion. Greys instead of orange/red. Unless neglected, it shouldn't cause any damage to the knife, and can be applied evenly using something like mustard.

They will also develop it overtime from use, but wont look as nice until the entire surface is covered.

And I dig this blade shape and the handle that is fairly neutral

Patina is a form of controlled rust to help protect against corrosion. Greys instead of orange/red. Unless neglected, it shouldn't cause any damage to the knife, and can be applied evenly using something like mustard.

They will also develop it overtime from use, but wont look as nice until the entire surface is covered.

And I dig this blade shape and the handle that is fairly neutral
Well... not quite rust...

Rust is... rust... it's oxidation of the iron in the mix.

Patina is a controlled (sometimes) exposure to other elements than just oxygen to tarnish/form a surface layer of steel that has been reacting to, in most cases, acidic substances that bind with the iron and limit the access of oxygen that will create rust.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who can explain it much better, but simplified that is the explanation of what patina is.

Citrus fruits, onion, garlic, mustard, vinegars, still bloody steak will be the fastest facilitators that will form patina. Most other vegetables and fruit, fresh meats will do the trick over a longer period of time too.
You will get different colours from different stuff too! The blueish tinge is from steak, onion & garlick will leave kinda black marks. Different mustards & hot sauces will give you varying shades of grey and might go towards brownish.

Back