Swiss army knife quality

I was given copies of SWISS army knives through the years. Theres is definitely a difference in quality even I can attest to that. Im not a fit and finish and tolerance freak/expert by any stretch of the imagination.

There is no contest. The Victorinox company has been cranking out SAKs for 100+ years - I think they have the recipe down.

Out of all the knives I have ever owned and carried - the only brand that has been with me in pocket consistently every day for many years has been a Vic SAK. The only thing that varies is the model or scale color.

I agree, just because they are inexpensive does not mean they are "cheap"!

BULL SHOOT they are crap I use to sell both of them and the china ones went for a $1.00. now what can you buy new for a $1.00 thay is worth something?? please tell me.

I love this video. The Victorinox steel is an excellent EDC.

[video=youtube_share;peO0akVMNbg]http://youtu.be/peO0akVMNbg[/video]

I have purchased several new Victorinox knives over the years. I have also picked up several used Victorinox pocket knives too. Many of them for well under $10 shipped to my door, all bought on that famous online auction site..

Some of them looked like they were made in the past 10 years, while other date back to the late 1970's. No matter the age, they were all wonderful used values.

Many of them arrived looking like shelf queens. While other showed up looking like they've had rough lives. But they all cleaned and sharpened up nicely. And I plan on getting years of enjoyment out of each one of them.

You just can't go wrong with quality of a Victorinox knife.. :)

Last edited:
I carry an alox farmer with me everywhere, regardless of whether or not I have another folder with me. I consider it a necessity. I have had some cheapie a when I was a kid and they just felt cheap. Nothing like the victorinox. Btw, I just checked and none of the blades/tools have even the tiniest bit of play in any direction. Fit and finish is fantastic for such mass produced tools.

I'd like to answer this way:
A side by side comparison of a Vic next to a flea market knock off would be
kinda like parking a primer gray pinto next to a mint '67 Mustang.

I bought a Victorinox SA Tinker in 1995 for 17 dollars and carried it exclusively for 15 years. Only sign of wear is the handles. I used it in all kinds of situations and environments. Best damn tool I have ever owned.

There is no contest. The real SAKs are already dirt cheap! I was just noticing on my $12 Victorinox Bantam, there is no blade play whatsoever, and the spring snaps closed like a trap. The Swiss have figured out how to make these knives cheap and make them WELL. Consider the mirror polish, full flat grinds, and well designed, functional tools, you get your money's worth and then some.

What he said.

Vics rule!

I carry a Spartan clipped to my pocket most days. Its my favourite SAK. Some tools but not enough width to be noticed or be in the way in the top of the pocket.
To me, part of being a near perfect EDC knife is one that doesnt get noticed or have to be shifted out of the way all the time until needed. Further more, SAKs in most guises are sheeple friendly. A concern to some in certain enviroments.

To echo what has already been said, buy a Victorinox, they're just as good as everyone says they are.

I own several, and my EDC is a 1980s era Champion. Slapped on the sharpener, a quick once over, and I could almost shave with the blades. The thing about owning a Victorinox is you'll never regret it (unless it's that you didn't buy a bigger one with more tools). Even if you leave it on a shelf to look at, it'll still satisfy.

I am a big fan of SAKs in general and Victorinox in particular. I bought a Wenger Ranger in Zermatt during my last climbing trip to the Alps and I ended up somehow dissapointed. Tools wise, the equivalent in the Vic line is the Rucksak and when you compare them... you find that the Ranger is much more bulkier with a bit longer blade but not any longer cutting edge. The Wenger Ranger has a fair portion (say half inch) of blade not ground near the handle. Also it doesn't have the toothpic and tweezers.

So far, Victorinox wins hands down.

Mikel

[video=youtube;rHhn6gNLHxc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHhn6gNLHxc[/video]

1234,,,:)

Victorinox/Wenger SAKs are boringly consistent, well made, and fairly inexpensive for what you are getting. There probably isn't any other knife where you are getting as much value as you are with a SAK.

Thanks for sharing this video! I would have never thought to search for something like that. That was some impressive cutting for a no-named "stainless" steel!

I've seen this video, and it's a prime example of how most knife nuts and steel snobs will under estimate anything that is not the latest and greatest thing since flint. The truth is, most people will not even notice much difference in day to day use of their knife. And Victorinox, b eing the most automated knife factory in the world, turns out a product that is first rate in fit and finish, far over even the so called up scale boutique knife companies. I've long felt that Victorinox should be an industry standard in Q.A.

Victorinox quality really is that good, they churn out something like 30k odd SAKs per day. With a tolerance of less than 0.2mm, which was stated in the mega factories vid.
Victorinox knife blades are quite tough for being stainless, can get very sharp and hold it for a reasonable amount of time and it's very easy to touch up / sharpen.

They even have the 111mm single blade liner lock; the Sentinel line, which have a variety of nail nick, thumb hole, serrated, non-serrated and clip versions, which IMO is a highly underrated line of knives. Most owners say that it have blade play, but think about it, Victorinox are pushing out 30k odd SAKs per day with a tolerance of 0.2mm they surely can eliminate any kind of blade play if they wish so *hint hint*.

BTW, ever notice how small and even the bevels are?

They perfected the slipjoint. Every one I've ever owned is tight as a drum and stays that way. I wish all my slipjoints were made as well.

They perfected the slipjoint. Every one I've ever owned is tight as a drum and stays that way. I wish all my slipjoints were made as well.

^ This +10!

I've always been a traditional pocket knife kind of person, and I've had knives by Case, Buck, Schrade, Camillus, Boker, and Queen. After a few years of use on the job, they all develop blade play. But I've seen many Victorinox's used, and very rare do I see blade play. For years my 'dirty work' knife was an old Vic tinker. I considered the SAK a semi disposable knife becuase they were widely available at a moderate price. So I beat the livin' heck out of that knife to 'save' my good knife. I even used it for prying as it had a screw driver blade on it, and after all, aren't screw drivers a pry bar?:eek: It never failed, never loosened, or broke. In time, I developed more respect for SAK's and Victorinox than I had for most other knife companies.

Back