1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sword build: forged titanium gladius

Discussion in 'Sword Discussion' started by Mecha, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    The sword side of the forum is too sleepy. Must be time for a public spectacle.

Presented for your viewing entertainment, the making of a beta titanium gladius, Mad Science Forge style!

Grab a goblet of wine, take a seat in the colosseum, ready your cheers and jeers, and let the games begin!

Entering the arena, 18 inches of very rare 89.5Ti 10Nb 0.5Fe titanium alloy, made in the U.S.A. Will it survive its first brutal challenge by fire and hydraulic forging press?

[​IMG]

-mecha

2. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Beautiful start, even if it is just a hunk of (albeit rare and expensive) metal! Can't wait to see the next posts!

Zieg

3. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    The bar has triumphed over the forging press this round! Not bad, but now let's see how this scrappy contender can hold out when faced with an onslaught of hammer and anvil!

[​IMG]

4. D-R0CK

D-R0CK

Sep 22, 2012
    Subscribed! Can't wait to see where this goes...

Mad Kudos! :thumbup:

5. D-R0CK

D-R0CK

Sep 22, 2012
    duplicate post

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  6. Chris Larrikin

Chris Larrikin

Jul 19, 2012
    Okay this is the funnest beginning to a WIP I've seen :) I am very interested to see how it goes. Subscribed.

7. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    Under duress of hammer and anvil, the bar has earned itself the title of billet. Yet before it may compete for gladius status, it needs to get a grip! Throw its tang to the forges!

[​IMG]

8. bleedingfinger

bleedingfinger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2010
    This is sweet! This things going to be awesome I have a feeling!

9. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    You are using Ti for a blade?
    Are you nutz???
    :D

10. MrFixIt

MrFixIt

Jul 28, 2014
    Sitting on the edge of my seat...

11. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Beta Ti gladius is going to be sweet. Will be a very fast blade.

12. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    The bar has triumphed in the tang trials, proving its true desire to be a sword! We shall test this metal's mettle yet. RELEASE THE GRINDER!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jmclfrsh

jmclfrsh

Dec 1, 2012
    Awesome thread, like reading a good book. What happened next?

14. oXObsidianXo

oXObsidianXo

Dec 30, 2013
    Subscribed. Just what's so special about the Niobium in this Titanium??

15. cf1969

cf1969 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Amazing work! Subscribed.

16. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    This. ^

17. kaotikross

kaotikross Banned BANNED

Nov 20, 2013
    Just awesome. Too bad the bar can't air it's side of the story..

"I was just sitting around, sure, I've been called square but that's never barred me from anything. How was I to know the day would come when I'd be hard-pressed to make such a life-altering transformation? Of course, I resisted..I can roll with the punches, I can take a pounding..." ;)

18. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    While our hopeful billet struggles with the fierce grinder, we shall hear of what makes it a worthy contender in this arena.

The bar is formed with the element of the Titans, well-known for their God-like strength, eternal as the mountains. When infused with the powers of Niobe, daughter of Tantalus, this Titanic strength changes form and becomes as firm as were her convictions, and hard like the stone skin she now wears.* It's no wonder this gladiator of a bar wishes to be a gladius!

*Niobium is a beta-stabilizing element. It makes the bar readily hardenable and heat-treatable. Niobium is also heavy, giving the the alloy a bit of extra weight. The element also "shields" the alloy from atmospheric contamination and pitting during forging, by limiting most of it to the depth of thermal expansion. This is important because titanium is very reactive when it's at high temperatures.

19. Nobody

Nobody Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2000
    All in on this thread. Been waiting for you to make a gladius... and a long spear blade......

20. Mecha

Dec 27, 2013
    The billet has survived Death by Grinder! Still, all of its efforts could be in vain, for the metal's greatest single challenge looms before it. Hades may yet come in a flash to take it to the sword underworld, for now it must survive... THE QUENCH. Bring forth THE FIRE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014