Sword build: forged titanium gladius

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your eyes, for the sword has conquered the quench. It's battered and bruised, and bears the marks of its mighty trials. Yet it has persevered, and earned the right to a finish grinding. It will become a gladius!

NkP1fuy.jpg

eAI2yD5.jpg

extreme insecurity is caused in me by this endeavor my friend. This could in fact be the greatest Gladius ever made.... but it could shatter under the weight of the awesomeness with which it has been imbued... i fret greatly at its fate

Before being pointed and polished, we will measure and weigh the gladial candidate. Our bar has grown lean with toil: currently 13.6 ounces, yet the sword hums with might!

It has also grown in size: 22 1/2" long, just shy of 1 1/2" in width, with a thickness at the diamond-section ridge measuring a bit more than 1/4" running the length of the blade, with a slight taper near the tip.

This is really coming along and is so cool.. it needs a cool Roman name, too. Maybe etch it on? What are you going to call it, Mecha?
Veritas et Honos?

Though no archivist's image seems to fully capture the look of this newborn sword, still it will be known by name: Bombus Gladius, the buzzing sword! A bit more refinement and it will be ready for a fitting hilt.

4ESP1qr.jpg

pzjSYX4.jpg

upZ06M3.jpg

holy CRAP!! The tragic fact that I'll never be able to afford this is making me sad.

Please make this at least a hand and a half handle length...

Not to pry (more just my element curiosity) but mecha said that this was a very rare alloy, and people seem to be saying how expensive this alloy is. Just what is the approximate value of Niobium Titanium alloy (per pound, kg, etc)? And is it really that much rarer than 6Al4V Titanium? And mecha you mentioned that the Niobium made the alloy harder? Do you mean better edge retention when used as a blade?

Again, not trying to pry or anything. I just want to learn more about this alloy I've never heard of, and can't seem to find much info on.

oXObsidianXo inquires as to the rarity and strength of our champion gladius!

As for the cost: Beta titanium alloys in general are expensive and hard to get, but so are many fantastic steel alloys. It's the working of beta Ti that can be most costly, human or otherwise. It resists everything you try to do to it, and will break your bits, mortify your motors, burn your belts, and crap on your cutters. It will then try to ignite your workshop and short out your equipment. It stays resilient well up into forging heat and even then keeps a dastardly springyness about it (yet has a narrow window of opportunity in which to forge before it gets fried). If the chips ignite it burns so brightly that it can cause "arc burns" to your eyes like a welder, and the dust can't be allowed to build up anywhere. I love it.

Regarding hardenability: This titanium, alloyed with niobium, can be hardened quite a bit, and will reach my goal of Rc53 without becoming brittle. This is because the niobium is alloyed in enough quantity to allow the beta crystal phase (body-centered cubic) to be stabilized at room temperature without decaying back into alpha phase (close-packed hexagonal). This makes it a "beta Ti" and opens up possibilities for real heat-treatment including capturing hard martensite grain structures (alpha prime). This TiNb is fine-grained, smooth and strikingly lustrous. It has great qualities for use as a sword, and seems to hold an edge well.

As for rarity: I recently had the pleasure of a long conversation with a top metallurgist/engineer who specializes in TiNB exotic alloys. The metallurgist confirmed and greatly elaborated on much of what I know from research and experimentation, as well as explained what to do (and NOT to do) when working this alloy, and why. He furthermore states that this metal is extremely rare and difficult to make; there's only a small handful of foundries that can make a TiNb alloy.

When TiNB alloys are made, it's for extreme and expensive situations: space vehicle parts, fighter jet engine nozzles, rocket booster nozzles, combat helicopter parts, and other things that must stay strong and resilient under very high heat, cold, and intense forces in general. It's also used for human joint replacements (titanium and niobium are non-toxic and, when alloyed, have high wear resistance).

This alloy possibly contains up to 0.5% iron, because three fancy laser spectrograph readings said so. However, the TiNb metallurgist and I both suspect that it could have been surface contamination. Rather than theory-and-conjecture it away, the laser's readings will stand until further analysis. Iron, when alloyed in titanium, disperses into very fine grains and causes something of a deep-hardening effect. It's also a potent beta-stabilizing element. Iron in small amounts can be found in Ti beta alloys used by the U.S. defense department.

I hope everyone finds this information interesting!

Last edited:
Subscribed. This is amazing.

Can't wait to see what kind of handle you come up with the complement this.

BTW, care to share how expensive "rare and expensive" really is?

Nonmagnetic diving sword!!!

I bet the Romans would have loved one.
Even though it's titanium I bet it's better than the best Roan steel back then. Better edge holding, less brittle, no corrosion, less heavy.

How is less heavy in a fight? Best for fencing against unarmoured foes, not much different when stabbing, but does it still develop enough momentum to chop against shields and through pre medieval body armor?

I sometimes wondered about the simple shape of the gladius, and how it would feel as a sword. It's NASTY, much more dangerous and intimidating than expected. Bombus Gladius has already both stabbed and cut me. I must keep a wary eye trained on it, and it will not be sharpened until fitted with hilt parts. In the meantime, here is a closer look at the colors left over from the quench.

mwIrXCY.jpg

vo7W8dX.jpg

Mmdyh6b.jpg

Mecha, if you were a woman, i'd so be hitting on you right now. That thing you just said in answer to Obsidian's question may be the sexiest thing anyone has ever said about steel... like EVER

I sometimes wondered about the simple shape of the gladius, and how it would feel as a sword. It's NASTY, much more dangerous and intimidating than expected. Bombus Gladius has already both stabbed and cut me. I must keep a wary eye trained on it, and it will not be sharpened until fitted with hilt parts. In the meantime, here is a closer look at the colors left over from the quench.

mwIrXCY.jpg

vo7W8dX.jpg

Mmdyh6b.jpg
You sir, are a winner.

Since it's already biting and scratching at you, I'll be happy to help out and just take it off your hands now for proper training before it really hurts you! ;)

Back