Tactical Folder Under $700

Hello!!!!!!

I am looking to get a custom tactical looking folder. I already own the "big three" along with a curtiss f3 3.5". Who else should I be looking at? Direware looks cool but kind of big and heavy? I prefer a clean look too. Simple looking is good.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!!!

LOTS of options in that range!

Maybe peruse the 'customs for sale by individuals' and see what grabs your interest!

You are spoiled for choice in that range. Browse the for sale custom area or look at the makers on the forum.

I am partial to tactical knives with a gentleman appeal and therefore like our South African knife makers such as Andre Thorburn, Andre van Heerden etc.

This is Andre Thorburn. The first is available at BladeHQ.

andre-e-thornburn-custom-model-16m.jpg

orig.jpg

Collaboration between the two Andres:

orig.jpg

My Andre van Heerden model 16

DSCF3713_zps703ed408.jpg

I like this one for $595 from Andre van Heerden. Still available at Bladegallery.com

91565_1_b.jpg

Last edited:
If you're after a simple looking tactical, you should definitely consider a Terzuola. They're generally a bit more pricey than $700 but you never know what kind of deals you can find. I can't say enough good about my ATCF...it just works and does it well. Fit and finish is superb and it's the smoothest knife I've owned that rides in washers. Bob is considered the father of modern tactical folders. Another good choice would be Kirby Lambert who is another one of my favorite makers. Like Terzuola, he just knows his stuff and consistently puts out fantastic quality especially for the money. The Snap and Incinerator are my personal favorites from him but you can't go wrong with anything from him.

I reaaallly like that carbon fiber andre thorburn. Any idea where to purchase it?

Thank you for tbe othrr suggestions! I have held the eagle, while it does meet the criteria, there is something about it I do not like...keep them coming!

Spartan Blades Akribis with Meteorite Gray (ZrN) blade (S35VN at 58-60 HRC) & handle plus CF on the scales is as good as advertised with fit & finish and overall quality as good as or better than CRK Sebenza.

It's even smoother than my Sebenza and Umnumzaan (actually a Wilson Combat StarTac version as seen in the pictures below). I especially like the Zirconium Nitride coating for the gray look all over and protection but it's also a fingerprint magnet. The S35VN blade is awesome. The extra thickness of the CF actually gives me a better grip since it has a pretty narrow profile.

This is an extremely impressive folder. Fast deployment. Looks good in jeans or dressy pants.

a4993eb8-50ca-488f-8b05-de5324281aea_zpsec3c8844.jpg

cdcbd1ea-76d2-4eba-9955-bdd38a861d84_zps8e4d10f6.jpg

There are also many of the MicroTech folders specially the LE ones.

Also, the Zero Tolerance 0777-M390 or 0777-M390BLK with light & strong CF handle and M390 blade.

I really like that sparton blades very sebenza like and I like it. I emailed them about lead time...how would you say the sparton compares to the scott cook lochsa quality wise? I was thinking of that one as well.

I reaaallly like that carbon fiber andre thorburn. Any idea where to purchase it?

You can contact him directly, just google south african knife makers or SA knifemakers.

I really like that sparton blades very sebenza like and I like it. I emailed them about lead time...how would you say the sparton compares to the scott cook lochsa quality wise? I was thinking of that one as well.

I don't have a Lochsa.

I think both BladeHQ & KnifeCenter have the Spartan Akribis in stock. Perhaps not the one I have (Grey Pain Blade, Grey Titanium/Carbon Fiber Handles) which I think is the nicest looking one. They also come in black blade, G10 instead of CF and FDE instead of Gray titanium.

Spartan%20Blades%20Akribis%20Folding%20Titanium%20S35VN%20knife_LRG.jpg

Ram, how does the grey dlc coating hold up? I found your exact model in stock somewhere, but am leary on coated blades. I appreciate stonewash, which hides marks well.

Ram, how does the grey dlc coating hold up? I found your exact model in stock somewhere, but am leary on coated blades. I appreciate stonewash, which hides marks well.

Honestly, I don't know how it'll hold over time. I know the blade is extremely sharp. I haven't used the folder since for that size I use one of two flippers right now: Eagle & Southard.

Other than aesthetics there was another reason for picking the meteorite gray coating. It's Zirconium Nitride which is super tough (tougher than the Tungsten DLC Flat Black coating). Spartan actually coats all metal surfaces:

All surfaces are coated with the best PVD coatings available to protect the working surfaces of the blade and frame.

Q. - What do you coat your blades with / why?

A. - S35VN does not require a coating, but we beleive a tactical knife should be coated / dulled to minimize shine in the field. While there are many fine coating choices, we decided to put the best available (looking for the best wear resistance, unifority, color, environmentally friendly, etc..), by the process of Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD). PVD coating is applied in a vacuum chamber with charged metal molecules. During the process, the cleaned blades are negatively charged and the plasma vapor of the metals are positively charged, so the vapor of metals deposit themselves evenly on the blade / parts. Our "SpartaCoat" is currently either a Tungsten DLC (Black) or Zirconium Nitride (Flat Dark Earth). The coating is actually fused to the blade and much harder than the blade, making for a superior coating and scratch resistance. It looks great too!

Akribis

– Greek for Sharp and Precise, is a fitting name for this finely crafted folding knife. This titanium and S35VN folder is the fruition of intense development and refinement. Spartan set out to create a knife that embodied all that is right in a modern folding knife. Form, function, and craftsmanship are all words that come to mind when you hold this knife. During the development of Akribis, Spartan reached out to the best and brightest in the industry for guidance and technical insight that is very evident when holding this knife. The Akribis was put through a series of refinements, engineering reviews and changes that culminated in this precision cutting tool. The craftsmanship of this folder is self-evident, from the chamfers on the frame to the intricate machining of the blades jimping.

Thanks for the info. That knife is a contender. Im a little concerned about weight though. How does it compare to a sebenza or your eagle?

I forgot to add that I want something fairly light.

Thanks for the info. That knife is a contender. Im a little concerned about weight though. How does it compare to a sebenza or your eagle?

I forgot to add that I want something fairly light.

I have to weigh the Akribis when I get back since they have only one weight of 5.2 ounces. Perhaps the CF weighs less than the G10.

Here are some published weights:

Spartan Akribis: 5.2 oz.
CRK Sebenza 25: 5.2 oz.
CRK Sebenza 21 Large: 4.7 oz.
Wilson Combat Star-Tac (Umnumzaan): 5.0 oz.
Wilson Combat Eagle: 4.8 oz
Curtiss F3 3.5": 5.1 oz.

Last edited:
Back