Tactical, Traditional, or Multi...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Fool4Blades, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Fool4Blades

Fool4Blades

Sep 3, 2004
    If you could only carry one, and I mean ONE, as your EDC, which would it be?

You can be as specific as you like, but I am mainly generally speaking.

Say you had a Sebenza, a Queen Stockman , a Leatherman Wave, and a Victorinox Swisschamp for example, if you could only carry one each day which would you choose?

This may sound like a nutty question I know, but I seem to flip back and forth between all these categories, and wonder how I got so darned confused....:confused:

If you think my question makes any sense please feel free to respond! :)

2. stevekt

stevekt

Dec 10, 2003
    I would carry a traditional multi-tool tactical gentleman folder.

3. s0rce

s0rce

Nov 16, 2004
    Sebenza, my usual EDC is a ZDP Caly, most of the time I dont find the need for a multi-tool and when I do need it I usually bring my Leatherman Mini-Tool or big giant SOG thingy.

4. Chett

Chett

Apr 28, 2005
    I would most likely pick the sebenza, I usually dont have that much need for a multi-tool, and when I do need one I usually have the tool I need closeby.

5. Fool4Blades

Fool4Blades

Sep 3, 2004
    Thanks for the replies so far. I used the Sebenza strictly as an example of a Tactical folder, it can be ANY you choose ( Strider, Benchmade, Emerson, Spyderco, etc...)

Just mainly wondering which STYLE of cutting tool you would choose. :D

6. Fool4Blades

Fool4Blades

Sep 3, 2004
    Thanks Steve! And who makes such a fine knife may I ask? ;)

7. destroythealter

destroythealter

Oct 2, 2005
    I would pick the sebenza (or strider in my preference) unless it was a multitool with a really good locking blade.

8. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    I'd most likely keep carrying what my edc is now. Most of the time my Victorinox pioneer is in my pocket. If I carry a sak and put a second knife in another pocket it is a traditional stockman.

But I always edc a sak.

9. Easyrider

Easyrider Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2000
    This is a difficult question.

If I had to choose one then probably a Queen Copperhead. Each catagory has is own charm which makes my decision difficult.

Of course if you ask me tomorrow my answer might be different.

10. glockman99

glockman99 Super Moderator Super Mod

Jun 12, 2000
    ONLY one????...Dang, that is a cruel question.:D.

I GUESS I'd choose a SOG PowerLock.

11. Blackwatch

Blackwatch

Dec 19, 2000
    If small fixed blades are included somewhere in that list (tactical or whatnot) then I would pick a Bark River.

If not, then I'd have to say I'd pick something in the tactical line. Not sure as to what, though.

12. Gryffin

Gryffin

Dec 27, 2004
    Easy answer, since I did so for several years, until a couple years ago*...

I'd carry a multitool, specifically my Leatherman Charge. Two good knife blades (one in 154CM, the other serrated 420), plus the various implements, plus a sheath that packs a dozen driver bits, and a small flashlight. Hard to argue it's not enough knife OR tool for EDC!

(*Back then, it was an original Wave. The argument still stands, I never felt I was under-equipped for anything less then camping; but time marches on, and the Charge is even better.)

13. Keith Montgomery

Keith Montgomery

May 9, 2000
    I carry either a Buck 110, or a Spyderco Police.

14. VampyreWolf

VampyreWolf

Feb 12, 2001
    3-4" fixed :p

given those choices though, I'd go with the vnox.

given a pair, vnox and fixed would cover 95% of my daily use.

15. Copper Crayon

Copper Crayon Banned by Moderators Banned

Nov 21, 2005
    I would probably go with either a Victorinox Swisstool or a Victorinox Ranger.

Either of those would suit all my needs just fine.

16. m_calingo

m_calingo

Oct 13, 2003
    I usually do only carry one knife at a time. It's either a Benchmade folder (Ares, 690, or 940) or a Spyderco (Navigator or Meerkat) or a stockman.

But if I had to choose only one... :confused:

...it would be the Ares.

17. Don Luis

Don Luis

Dec 26, 2002
    I have EDC knives for 45 years and only rarely do I carry just one, before Leatherman came out with his multitool it was a SAK and a stockman, now it is a SAK, a stockman and a Leatherman tool.

Whenever I have had to carry only one knife it has usually been a SAK, sometimes a stockman and rarely a plier multitool.

I do have other knives including modern one hand openers with clips but I never carry one as the only knife on me.

Luis

18. Psychopomp

Psychopomp

Feb 21, 2005
    Same here.

Just one knife... Vic Soldier.

19. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    I always EDC a one-hander-pocket-clip-folder (tactical if you like).

I have'nt found anything that a traditional slip-joint (not including SAKs) can do that a nice tactical cannot.
    And I discovered long ago that I don't need a multi-tool very often in my daily routine.

The tactical folder just rides better in my pocket than a traditional, and it's so much easier to deploy.

Good luck,
    Allen.

20. tim8557

tim8557

Nov 13, 2004
    My Leatherman Wave.