Talk to me about pocket sheaths / organizers

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I'd like to see what you use, here how you use it, and here it's pros and cons.

I keep coming back to this idea for various reasons but never stick with it for long because while a majority of my traditional folders fall into a 2.5"-3" bracket there's still lots of variation.
There's variables in the pockets and pants / shorts themselves as well which determines how I carry things, but I'd like something I can use at least most of the time.
I have yet to come up with something relatively universal enough, not that every knife is something that warrants pocket sheath / organizer carry.

My ideal pocket organizer would fit the majority of my knives in the 3"-3.5" range relatively well, but would easily stay in my pocket while I pull my tools out of it.
I think it's probably just a matter of the right size and the right thickness / stiffness of leather.

I see your dilemma. Have a look around at some leather glass cases. I have one which i can use for what you described. It slides neatly into my pocket and is big enough to carry my knife of the day and several other odds and ends.

I see your dilemma. Have a look around at some leather glass cases. I have one which i can use for what you described. It slides neatly into my pocket and is big enough to carry my knife of the day and several other odds and ends.

I dabble in leather work and make what I need if I can, so I'm going to make something for sure.
The last one I came up with is okay and I've been using it this week, but it's not perfect and I'm trying to come up with something better.

It's the black one on the right.

I made it wide enough to fit tightly in my pocket so it stays put, but it can be a bit difficult to get into a few of my pockets.
I think I need the thick stiff leather back with a thinner more supple leather front, then I could make it a little less of a tight fit in pocket.

Those two aspects i do know, but everything else I'm not sure on.
Hopefully I'll get some ideas / insights from this thread.

That is roughly the design that i meant. Why don't you make 2 or 3, for different size pockets, then you can make them to whatever size you need depending on the jobs you are doing.

I enjoy doing leather work, and love to carry some basic stuff (edc) with me, when I couldnt find any sheats or organizers that are small enough and compact I decide to do my own organizer it is unique and costomize for my set, but you my get some inspiration from it.

I enjoy doing leather work, and love to carry some basic stuff (edc) with me, when I couldnt find any sheats or organizers that are small enough and compact I decide to do my own organizer it is unique and costomize for my set, but you my get some inspiration from it.
I like it.

Here's my latest attempt, it's been working out fairly well.

That's really great work. Take a peek at the Hitch & Timber website they got some nice stuff (but over priced in my opinion) but you could get some ideas maybe.

Thanks, not my best work but functional.

And I'll take a look on their website.

Wow, their prices are just the motivation I need to make my own!

Go ahead, buy whatever you need to make your own, plus your personal time invested and then see if their price is still sufficient motivation to do it a second time. My opinion is that they are moderately priced and probably a good value for the money.

Paul

Go ahead, buy whatever you need to make your own, plus your personal time invested and then see if their price is still sufficient motivation to do it a second time. My opinion is that they are moderately priced and probably a good value for the money.

Paul

I say my total cost to make such a thing would be much less than they charge, but well made goods that also look good don't usually come cheap.
I could essentially make it, but if there was something from them I wanted I'd buy it because my work doesn't come close.
Every once In a while I make something that also happens to look as decent as it works, but not often :confused:

I say my total cost to make such a thing would be much less than they charge, but well made goods that also look good don't usually come cheap.
I could essentially make it, but if there was something from them I wanted I'd buy it because my work doesn't come close.
Every once In a while I make something that also happens to look as decent as it works, but not often :confused:

That depends on how you figure the cost of building one. If you already have leather working tools, thread, needles, leather,and glue, and are only figuring the cost of the materials used. Then that sheath would be inexpensive. But if you have to buy leather $? , needles $7 pack, thread $3 for small spool, two prong diamond punch $9 (for a whole set $40), stitching groover $15, sharp knife $?, edge beveler $12, edge slicker $4-8, glue $8. It adds up pretty fast. If one only wants one sheath, it will be cheaper to buy from a pro. If one wants a new hobby, go for it.

O.B.

That depends on how you figure the cost of building one. If you already have leather working tools, thread, needles, leather,and glue, and are only figuring the cost of the materials used. Then that sheath would be inexpensive. But if you have to buy leather $? , needles $7 pack, thread $3 for small spool, two prong diamond punch $9 (for a whole set $40), stitching groover $15, sharp knife $?, edge beveler $12, edge slicker $4-8, glue $8. It adds up pretty fast. If one only wants one sheath, it will be cheaper to buy from a pro. If one wants a new hobby, go for it.

O.B.
You can either improvise with things you've already got laying around orbuy a starter leather working tool kit for $30 off eBay, but regardless the skill involved in making it is as valuable as the item itself.

I just posted it as a place to get ideas. I've handled their stuff and it is well made but you can get things made just as good but at a better price by members on the forum or do it yourself.

O.B.
You don't need all those tools.
If you want to do a single project you can make do with tools most people have at home. Also aliexpress is a good source for cheap but well functioning tools

good one
Thinking about it you need needles, a pliers, a ruler , a knive and a awl like something. A sharp nail could do

O.B.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 12
1.jpg

Buying some basic tools is not a bad idea. Once you build one, you may end up building more.

Last edited:
Back