Talonite

Any opinions/reports/news/anything about Talonite back yet?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Hows it grind...is it really all they want us to belive it is...is it worth the price...

any feedback?

I talk to Rob frequently and he is going to have info on his webpage as the work progresses.

As to whether or not its worth it...don't forget that these are preliminary experiments and all parties involved know this and entered into the projects with that knowledge. So let's not sucker for hype like good Democrats. And, there shouldn't be any hype until there is a knife to play with and test, right?

Recall that Talonite is a specialty metal with specialty applications and Bob & Walt were curious enough to find some willing like-minded makers to try it in knife applications.

Stellite is similar and if Kit Carson has been willing to play with it for these few years, I'd figure that a maker of his prestige and reputation must know something.

Hi SD and Dona, My web page will be frequently updated on the subject of Talonite, I wont go into a lot of detail here, but it is too early yet to tell you much, I can say that you can cut it well with an abrasive cold saw, grinds easier that I thought it would, and I havet drilled it yet. Look in the "in progress" section frequently for updates. I hope to be doing some simple cutting tests with it this weekend. Dona is right on all accounts except for one, there is no such thing as a good Democrat!
smile.gif

http://www.simonichknives.com

I was mainly wanting to know if anyone had started playing with it, and what thier thoughts were.

Biggest thing that we're seeing, per Rob's reports so far, is that the talonite, which is chemically the same as stellite 6Bh except it is hot rolled and age hardened, does not seem to "eat" grinding belts like stellite does. Speculation as to why the talonite isn't "gummy" under a belt centers on the only difference which is the rolling and hardening done by the manufacturer, Carbide Processors, Inc.

If the manufacturer's claims also prove out that the processing adds about a 35% improvement to the cobalt-chromium alloy's wear characteristics and therefore edge retention, it'll be a boon to cobalt knifemakers....easier to grind and a better edge.

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

Well, the talonite projects have hit a "snag". Trace is on hold not having started any grinding yet. Rob put an 18.5 degree edge bevel on each side with a belt and was able to cut cigarette paper effortlessly, but after a few cuts it dulled quickly leading to the conclusion that a burr may have been what cut. Attempts with diamond and ceramic hones have not brought up a decent sharp edge since. It continues to slide instead of biting into rope. But the experiment continues trying to coax a doable edge out of the the talonite...

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited 11-08-98).]

For the record, Rod Wright is a Calif. Assemblyman from Compton, and a staunch gun-rights defender.

And a Democrat. Go figure.

Jim March

...the tides have turned once again! Rob Simonich reprofiled the blade getting the edge bevel down to 0.014". Examinations under a 1000X microscope and additional judicious hand stoning with diamond and ceramic hones produced an edge that cuts. Rob sent a picture of a pile of wood and cardboard shavings. He's concluded that this stuff may not take quite the edge as ferrous metals, but it's quite doable with wear resistance better than ATS-34 or BG-42. If he had another like blade in CPM 440 or 420, it'd make an interesting test to see which cuts longest. Bottom line is that instead of the grinding being the "bear" in this project, edge geometry and edge creation have been. Go figure
smile.gif
! More to come....

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

I have a 12"x3/16"x.5" that I'm going to start grinding today. It's longer than I want the knife, so I think I'll grind a chisel first and see how it does.
Aaron

I ground the end of the talonite into a chisel and ran some tests. First, grinding was very strange, I am using a 4" disk grinder, and unless I looked very closely, there were no sparks. The talonite was harder to grind than steel, but not prohibitivly so. I got the edge very close to where I wanted it, and then honed it down with a norton 2 sided stone. The stuff, though hard to grind, seems to sharpen more easily than many of the alloy steels.
As a chisel, it worked rather well, reducing a 1x4, ~6" ,long to nothing w/o resharpening.
I also ran a destructive test, hammered it straight down into an anvil w/ a 5lb sledge. The very edge actually cracked off as a tiny wire, but there was no other damage. i'll scan some pix when I get a chance.
Aaron

C H E C K T H I S O U T !!!!!

The stretched tactical Cetan by Rob Simonich is now completed and has been dubbed the WAMBLI.

The whole story of the project and some neat jpegs (thanks to DC) are available on:

http://www.simonichknives.com/talonite.htm

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

I've really enjoyed working with Rob on this project. If you've never commissioned a custom blade or treaded into unknown waters, consider it!

Rob beat me to the skinning test
smile.gif
. I've encouraged him all along to wring out the talonite to his satisfaction. Well after all that wood and cardboard was chopped and cut up, the untouched up blade easily field dressed two fat does including cutting up the brisket in Montana this morning and to quote Rob "...and the dang knife is still sharp!"

I think talonite unquestionably has a place in the world of cutlery. It is non-corroding and non-magnetic. It grinds much much easier than it's sister cobalt alloy stellite and may very well prove out the manufacturer's claims of a 35% improvement in wear characteristics such as edge holding over stellite in the long run!!!

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited 11-12-98).]

This sounds like it would make an incredible folder.

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.

Ill let you know . Im gonna make a 4 in blades folder with it.. Ti handles . um sounds yummie,,

------------------
Darrel Ralph / Bladesmith
Web www.infinet.com/~browzer
Take a look!!!!

I have been carrying a knives made of this cobalt base alloy for over two years and find it to be one of the best blade materials around. Whether you call it 6K, 6BH, or Talonite its all basically the same in makeup just different manufacturing processes. Even though you will find it is not as hard as most blade materials, it cuts extremely well and sharpens even easier. Kit Carson made my folder and he has made numerous knives with this material. The really nice property is you don't have to worry about corrosion!!!!

------------------
Blue Skies

Rob,
I noted elsewhere you cited the lab measurements for stellite and that the claims of non-magnetic properties are not true. Appreciated the input as the web site for the talonite manufacturer says different. I would guess that those measurements mean that it's got a much reduced "signature" but one still easily detected.
Kit has mentioned that his customers who acquire a cobalt blade rarely go back to tool or stainless steels... the stuff is that good.
I imagine you enjoyed working with Kit on the U-2 design. He seems like quite a guy from interacting with him in chats. You still on active or retired from the navy now? I'm a retired mustang "pork chop" myself.

Fair winds and following seas!

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

Although not much, Talonite does have Fe in it's composition(I think about 5%). This would account for the magnetic signature.
Aaron
ps I'm going to regrind the chisel into a skew for lathe work, see how much punishment this stuff can take.

Back