Cr
28 – 32
Mo
1.50 max
W
3.5 - 5.5
C
.9 - 1.4

So the iron content is less than 3% which accounts for some magnetic signature.

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

PS Just got an e-mail from Rob Cude which clarifies this issue (don't think he'd mind my sharing here):

" As far as
talonite goes, I have done the LO-MU testing perscribed for the MIL-SPEC for
non-mag requirements and you can't hardly get the stuff in the same room with
the test equipment and it starts ringing off. The cobalt is what causes the
problems since it is pheromagnetic. Some people think that stuff is non-mag
because a magnet won't stick to it, but that is not the case it also has to do
with field disruption of the eddy currents."

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited 22 November 1998).]

I received my Wambli earlier today and was struck by Rob's impecable craftsmanship. I'd had his bead blast the micarta scales which is the only difference from the picture of my knife on his web page.

It has already seen duty in the kitchen but over the next few months I expect to give it a real workout. I'm struck by its feeling in my hand...substantive, purposeful. I've checked back with Rob to confirm...this metal is DENSE and heavier than the stainless and tool steels he's worked.

Dr. Ron Hood has a page on his web site about the custom Noordah he had Rob make. His comment is that this is a maker you can work with and that you ought to get in the queue before he becomes too famous. I certainly can vouch for being able to work with him....it's been a pleasure as well as fun. And if he keeps producing stuff like this blade, I've no doubt that Hood is right...Rob will garner acclaim and become famous.

I am extremely pleased with how the this talonite blade has turned out! I'm beginning to understand Kit Carson's comment about his customers who have bought his cobalt alloy blades rarely going back to steel.....

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

I think Kits craftsmanship has something to do with that also :] He makes a great knife and really gives a damn about quality.

------------------
Darrel Ralph / Bladesmith
Web www.infinet.com/~browzer
Take a look!!!!

Back