Tanked

Hey gang,

A small Tanked was my grailest for a long time and I finally tracked one down last month. My plan is to carry it and use it but had a little remorse today when I banged the clip against a table today in a meeting.

That got me thinking, but how does the presentation side of the CCG knives typically hold up under light use age?

Is there any reason to lock it away or should I just use it like I planned to?

I have a regular small Sebenza that has has honest wear and looks great, but I'm not sure how that would translate on the Tanked.

So what do you guys think, use it gently or store it?

A stored knife is a sad knife. There were many thousand "tanked" sebenzas made I'm guessing, so yours will never be the equivalent of a "Superman #1 - mint" comicbook. I would watch this video:

Then enjoy your awesome, fancy and functional, knife.

Good video. Funny, I wear my Omega almost daily and haven't lost any sleep, but sweated that Tanked today.

Great post Cody.

The polished parts of a CRK actually show less wear at a glance than the beadblast. Closer inspection reveals many fine scratches, but they don't detract from the design.

In my opinion, a knife never really feels like yours, and never really develops its "personality" (if that makes any sense), until you carry and use it for a least a few weeks. That's when the attachment that makes the knife special starts to grow. In my mind, that adds a kind of intangible value.

Hope I've helped you decide. I'd love to see pics of that knife after some honest use and carry.

First, pics or it never happened!

Second, use it. Enjoy it. Make it your own. You've earned it.

Third, once its personality has blossomed through pocket polishing and loving use, post before and after pics so we can all be jealous and admire your awesomeness!

Ahh, there. That was cathartic. You see, there is a small spalted beech in my safe, not technically mine until my B-day. I think I finally just talked myself into doing what I described....

Last edited:
Hey gang,

A small Tanked was my grailest for a long time and I finally tracked one down last month. My plan is to carry it and use it but had a little remorse today when I banged the clip against a table today in a meeting.

That got me thinking, but how does the presentation side of the CCG knives typically hold up under light use age?

Is there any reason to lock it away or should I just use it like I planned to?

I have a regular small Sebenza that has has honest wear and looks great, but I'm not sure how that would translate on the Tanked.

So what do you guys think, use it gently or store it?

It's up to you but the way I see it is, who are you saving your favourite knives for? Will they sit in a drawer until you die so your kids can find them and sell them to a pawn shop for 20$ a piece?

I admit I am more gentle with some knives than others but I enjoy using them.

There is a guy in the "Just Folders" thread that takes his native american sebenza with him on all sorts of hikes. He's tossing it in the water to photo, cutting up mushrooms, or cleaning game. It's scratched to hell and back, and looks amazing. The coolest part is he's getting good use out of a knife that was built to take good use.

I say use it and enjoy it. You'll have a sense of giddiness each time you take it out of your pocket.....which is what you pay a premium for when purchasing a knife like this.

They're all meant to be used, however, if it's a grail knife and you want it in pristine condition, and want to keep it that way, you better put it up and take it out occasionally for a Sunday carrying. Or, use it like CRK intended and have a smile on your face when you whip that beauty out. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have users and safe queens.
You'd be surprised what a trip back to CRK will do to your grail. Remember, they'll look to see what they can do on a case by case basis. They made my Stars and Stripes new again :D
So, use it, don't worry about scratches, snail trails or anything else. As it develops personality, you'll still see your grail CRK as a virgin.

It's up to you but the way I see it is, who are you saving your favourite knives for? Will they sit in a drawer until you die so your kids can find them and sell them to a pawn shop for 20$ a piece?

This is a great way of thinking! Time to carry an annual to work:)

I have CRK hard users (13 currently), CRK light users (4 currently) and CRK lookers (74 currently). None of them are in a safe or in the original box. All are stored when not in use in large cases and I can survey them all within a minute or two of deciding to do so. I have no need to make all 91 CRK's into hard users. I am on the lookout for CRK's in all three categories. A well used Neil Roberts Warrior was purchased recently intentionally to go in the hard user category. I have collected "things" all my life and I never worry about what my heirs will do with any of these "things" when I die. I have complete documentation of purchase prices and helpful hints about how to turn these "things" into cash. I presume you would see a number of my CRK's on the exchange. My guitars, basses, amplifiers etc would appear elsewhere as would my drones and other RC goodies. You may have free of charge my collection of ex wives, and you do not even have to wait for my funeral.

I will try and remember to get a pic but i have been carrying and using my large tanked for over 2 years and nothing has faded or really even worn.

I cut my knives no slack and they are carried in a pocket with flashlights ,keys ,change, etc. (my wife makes fun of me for carrying a flashlight a small 6 inch crescent and a small pair of channel locks a sak farmer with phillips mod along with a dedicated knife at all times) Imo they look great.

I would have many more cgg and unique graphics as users if i could afford it. The thing that shows wear more so than anything will be the polished blade but you can always send it in to the spa.

So use it and enjoy it. The tanked was the very first sebenza i got and it is still in my top 2 favorites. I love it and it is a knife that gets alot of compliments ,a ton more than my wilson combat starbenza.

The polished parts of a CRK actually show less wear at a glance than the beadblast. Closer inspection reveals many fine scratches, but they don't detract from the design.

In my opinion, a knife never really feels like yours, and never really develops its "personality" (if that makes any sense), until you carry and use it for a least a few weeks. That's when the attachment that makes the knife special starts to grow. In my mind, that adds a kind of intangible value.

Hope I've helped you decide. I'd love to see pics of that knife after some honest use and carry.
Also it is never truly yours until it bites you :p

The polished parts of a CRK actually show less wear at a glance than the beadblast. Closer inspection reveals many fine scratches, but they don't detract from the design...

That's been my experience. I have been carrying an anodized computer graphic small sebenza for at least 5 years now. There are more visible marks on the lock side than the presentation side. The anodizing does fade a little, but still looks great. You can find scratches, but you need to look. I don't baby mine and it is carried with clip (no pouch) but nothing in the pocket but the knife.

Back