Tanto 7 users, what are your experiences?

To you guys who EDC the original CHISEL GROUND TANTO 7 to actually use, and don't drink the Internet parrot Kool-aid, please share your personal experiences, and utility uses with this unique blade.

Food prep, woodcraft, cheese cutting, and other things that the "lore" says they are useless for.

Please do not share the the "defensive" capabilities, "piercing attributes," or other such "knowledge." Please.
Plz.

What I'm after here is real world stories from real users regarding real tasks a real knife is really used for!

Please do not share if you do not use this knife.

I'm looking to hear from long time users how the knife ACTUALLY performs tasks.

I only want to know about the cqc7 chisel ground original here.

Not the A or V.

Thanks once again, peeps!

(Why do I have a feeling I'm going to hear from Rolf lol?!)

Last edited:
My small offering would be using mine to cut various vines and such around the property here. I use it as a knife not as a pry tool or anything stupid. I picked it up because I wanted a classic Emerson besides my Commanders. It preforms like all sharp knives from Emerson, it cuts!

I traded into my 7, its previous owner used it pretty hard and it shows battle scars. It needed a sharpening which actually was quite easy with the Emerson sharpener I have.

Cool. Been wondering about that sharpener. I'm assuming you mean the oval rod?
Thx.

Any one else?

I carry my 7 to work often; it has been employed to cut plastic, cardboard, trim rough spots on plywood cuts, open bags of concrete, cut rope, strip wires... it's as versatile as any sharp blade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

All this talk has me wanting a Jungle 7....

and I ordered one plain stone wash blade.

Last edited:
459163f803589d198a68ec9212dcdd4a.jpg

Still going strong

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hmmm, cut summer sausage, cheese, steaks, bread, buttered bread, made pb & j's, cut fruit and vegetables, sliced bacon, cut pizza, pretty much everything you do with a knife.

I use mine for general knife tasks like cardboard, etc. I decided to see how it was at whittling and found that for right handed use the chisel grind hindered it's performance at woodcraft. Now for a lefty, I think the chisel grind tanto would be great for whittling.

Love the tanto as a scraper . You'd he surprised at how many benefits a Tanto has until you really carry and use it. I use the tip edge for 95% of task from scraping to opening mail or a package .

As far as the SD penetration thing IMHO tantra sick at stabbing .

I work in a weld shop and my wife had this thing about dirt under my fingernails , I've found the tanto is the ideal nail cleaner, not too manly but you asked uses .

At my job we ship and receive tons of baskets hourly , some the label won't come off by hand and that's where the tanto is great stubborn labels come off very easily .

I've carried a tanto daily for awhile now and I've really been surprised by it . IMHO folks need to stop with the trying to sell the tanto as a weapon , show just how capable it is during edc . I actually prefer it now .

In use I can't really tell the difference in a chisel grind vs any other type . Some folks have trouble with them and say tilt the knife xxx degrees for a straight cut etc. I've never modified a technique one with a chisel grind and it cuts just fine , hell it cuts better than most v grinds or edges . Super easy to touch up too and even if you aren't so good at sharpening you can get an edge on a chisel grind . Sharpen feel a burr knock it off your done .

I will say if you want the best edge possible the zero ground chisel edge is a monster , like comes on a cqc6 . I took one of 7s to the belt sander and ground it to zero and it's one mean little knife now .

Love the tanto as a scraper . You'd he surprised at how many benefits a Tanto has until you really carry and use it. I use the tip edge for 95% of task from scraping to opening mail or a package .

As far as the SD penetration thing IMHO tantra sick at stabbing .

I work in a weld shop and my wife had this thing about dirt under my fingernails , I've found the tanto is the ideal nail cleaner, not too manly but you asked uses .

At my job we ship and receive tons of baskets hourly , some the label won't come off by hand and that's where the tanto is great stubborn labels come off very easily .

I've carried a tanto daily for awhile now and I've really been surprised by it . IMHO folks need to stop with the trying to sell the tanto as a weapon , show just how capable it is during edc . I actually prefer it now .

In use I can't really tell the difference in a chisel grind vs any other type . Some folks have trouble with them and say tilt the knife xxx degrees for a straight cut etc. I've never modified a technique one with a chisel grind and it cuts just fine , hell it cuts better than most v grinds or edges . Super easy to touch up too and even if you aren't so good at sharpening you can get an edge on a chisel grind . Sharpen feel a burr knock it off your done .

I will say if you want the best edge possible the zero ground chisel edge is a monster , like comes on a cqc6 . I took one of 7s to the belt sander and ground it to zero and it's one mean little knife now .

Sweet. I appreciate you taking the time to detail this!

Out of curiosity, are you right or left handed?

Also, just to make sure we're on the same page, you are referring to the full chisel ground 7B, correct? Not the 7V.

Thx.

That whole grind is on the opposite side from Japanese chefs knives...Don't put much into that , I've used chisel grinds on both sides of the blade as long as the edge is sharp they cut just fine

Hello Mr. Bond,

I edc a super 7--I like the larger blade and handle. It does what needs doing--opening packages/ breaking down cardboard boxes... of course. With as many kids as I have, there's always a large delivery of diapers or wipes, or something from amazon coming my way... and the boxes are big. Cuts like a champs, stays very sharp, even after thing cardboard. Sometimes I'll stab through the thicker empty boxes, and twist the blade... stays solid, great ergos, no complaints.

I read the "sucks at slicing/ food prep" stuff too... don't believe it. Slices tomatoes like they are not there. Great on meats. Peeling fruit is less good, but it can be done. In all these instances, I just know which way the blade wishes to go due to the chisel grind and make a very, very moderate adjustment in cutting pressure, and voila, just great. I touch it up on a ceramic stone from time to time... so easy to hone, such great results every time.

Making shavings, whittling, feather sticks even--no problem what so ever. Just understand the grind with a regular use, and you find how to make it work.

Now, I did try to pierce a metal potter (for drainage holes) and did chip the cutting edge on the tip and front edge--not huge, but not tiny either. It took me 15-20 min with DMT diamond stones and I restored the cutting edge. Looks like it never happened. Lock-up has been 40/45% since I got it 6/7 months ago, and it has not budged...

And I carry and use it as my primary edc everyday since I got it. For the record, it is a Super 7 with a coated blade, plain edge.

Hope this helps. And sorry to hear about your troubles getting in touch with EKI (from the other thread)--I've had luck with email, but not always. Calling seems like the best option with them. The folks there are pretty friendly and always resolved whatever problem I had... so far, satisfaction.

Back