Tanto PM2!!

Correcting a recent comment of mine. Not anti, just have lost interest at this point. Tastes and desires change. Have a fixed and a flipper tanto and enough for me at this time. Hope those who are interested get a chance for theirs soon.

All that said, like the hollow grind and hope to see more of that from this fine manufacturer!

Looks like we finally have an update. Blade HQ has it under their new arrivals, but doesn't say a release date.

S30v steel and looks like only black dlc, no bare steel. Price is also a little higher than I thought it would be, but at least now we know the deal.

Now we wait for the drop and debate if it's worth the cost of admission.

gtDP9iV.png

BHQ exclusive :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Interesting - black only is a surprise. Maybe uncoated later? I wonder if this will be an "unlimited" exclusive.

This has to be an unlimited exclusive right?

With a dealer exclusive, typically that dealer has the option to reorder.

BHQ generally likes to order both the DLC and plain versions, but that's for their M4 exclusive sprints. This is in S30V. Right now we dont know what we dont know.

My assumption is that they'll load the plain non-dlc version on the website and also upload a video on their YouTube channel with some details before the sale date.

Man that is very expensive for an exclusive that is otherwise all the same as the base PM2. The REX45 copper one was only $25 more. The waved one was very similar, just a different blade shape, and that was cheaper, too.

Reactions: AF
Agreed, the tanto pm2 is on the pricier end, especially when compared to those other variants you listed. That grind can't be easy to tool, I imagine.

Especially looking at the copper, I would have expected the cost of production for that one to absolutely dwarf the tanto. Even though the cost is high, I have wanted the tanto PM2 since it was teased in 2019 in bladehq's shot show video I think it was, I'll probably be picking one up: hopefully this isn't a sprint style thing and everyone who wants one can grab it, as unique as it is it looks like it can be put to serious work.

I like the black, but I know a lot don't. Hopefully they do a satin version as well.

Looking at the bright side, a higher price means less chances of the knife being flipped, so it shall be available to people who genuinely want it and use it.

Seems priced a bit high. Not sure how practical, but it looks pretty dope. A sharpening notch would complete it imo.

Actually glad it doesn't have one. I don't like them actually, (see nothing wrong with a sharpening choil, just not my personal preference)

Agreed, the tanto pm2 is on the pricier end, especially when compared to those other variants you listed. That grind can't be easy to tool, I imagine.

Especially looking at the copper, I would have expected the cost of production for that one to absolutely dwarf the tanto. Even though the cost is high, I have wanted the tanto PM2 since it was teased in 2019 in bladehq's shot show video I think it was, I'll probably be picking one up: hopefully this isn't a sprint style thing and everyone who wants one can grab it, as unique as it is it looks like it can be put to serious work.

I like the black, but I know a lot don't. Hopefully they do a satin version as well.

I think it's pricy compared to all other PM2 variants, period. Granted, there's been more price inflation in the last year or two than there generally was in the early days of dealer exclusives, but they have historically tended to be between $140 and $190, and the ones on the high end of that were Bento Box Shop knives (known for high prices) and/or made from more exotic steels. I'll admit we don't have a good benchmark for PM2 variants with different blade shapes, as the Emerson wave PM2 is I think the only other one where the blade shape was modified, but those were identical materials and $30 cheaper... plus they only came out a couple months ago, so we're still comparing 2020 prices.

As mentioned before, I agree that it's got to be the complexity of the grind of the blade leading to the price being higher than expected for the materials involved. Gotta try and get atleast one.

Going to play devil's advocate and throw in some more ideas. I still do think the price is high, but some things to think about:

Price inflation is a factor to look at too. For
The Tanto PM2 at $190, dlc, S30V, golden CO made, it's pretty competitively priced compared to the S30V dlc shaman which comes in a good bit over $200.

Compared to other PM2s the price hike might even be reasonable. You get into the 190 range you can pay for the unusual grind of the tanto, or you can get your hands on s110v, k390, m390, or try for another sprint, all in the standard blade shape.

Outlier of course (IMHO) being the Emerson PM2. Spyderco accomplished a brand new blade shape (granted much simpler) while raising the price marginally. The tanto PM2 is making a pretty large price jump in comparison to that.

Dang but this looks good. I love a nice hollow-ground tanto blade. :)

Maybe down the road they'll make a waved version. The waved PM2 is a great knife, and a waved tanto makes a lot of sense to me.

Going to play devil's advocate and throw in some more ideas. I still do think the price is high, but some things to think about:

Price inflation is a factor to look at too. For
The Tanto PM2 at $190, dlc, S30V, golden CO made, it's pretty competitively priced compared to the S30V dlc shaman which comes in a good bit over $200.

Compared to other PM2s the price hike might even be reasonable. You get into the 190 range you can pay for the unusual grind of the tanto, or you can get your hands on s110v, k390, m390, or try for another sprint, all in the standard blade shape.

Outlier of course (IMHO) being the Emerson PM2. Spyderco accomplished a brand new blade shape (granted much simpler) while raising the price marginally. The tanto PM2 is making a pretty large price jump in comparison to that.

This is true, you have two grinds to do on the tanto. Seems like upgrading the blade steel and putting on a unique G10 color for the handle would have made it a much better deal with a price bump to $200, to me, though.

This is true, you have two grinds to do on the tanto. Seems like upgrading the blade steel and putting on a unique G10 color for the handle would have made it a much better deal with a price bump to $200, to me, though.

Have to say I agree. If I am already spending a high price on the knife, might as well bump up another 10 or 20 dollars to do a unique steel to match the unique grind, as long as it's a toughness oriented steel.

I can say though, that I do like S30V, and for some reason blackout knives do it for me, personally.

Eric shows this at the end of the video linked below. He said it is a prototype, but he would like to make some. It looks really well done to me. I like the fine tip on the PM2, but I would probably get a tanto just for fun:

I'd buy one...a better tactical option

Back