Tanto Questions

Hello all, this is my first post in this section,
I am giving some thought to a tanto, the knife, not the indian.

I have been researching the Magnum series, and also The O'tanto Dragonfly.

This blade would be primarily for self defense/last resort work. I like the traditional look with Dragonfly especially with the traditional saya.

I recently sold my Swamp Rat Waki, in search of a more traditional piece. So a Waki is in my future as well.

What draws me to the Dragonfly series is the ability to build a matching set, Tanto, Wakizashi, and Katana, eventually.

But the Magnum series has appeal as well. stunningly simple and elegand in a lethal sort of way.

To be fair I have been looking at the CRKT Husshou/Shinbu as well.

I don't own too many CS products, but I have a few, 3 SRKs, 3 Trail Hawks, and an older Outdoorsman inbound at the moment. To date I have not had any problems and absolutely love my Trail Hawks.

Any feedback on these products would be greatly appreciated. I came here because there seems to be a considerable amount of negative feedback on CS products, most seem unsubstantiated. So I thought I would spend some time in a slightly more friendly atmosphere.

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

Take a look at the following video. It illustrates the benefit of the CS american tanto vs the traditional shaped tanto like the crkt hissou, using a snap cut. I have a carbon v Recon Tanto and I love it, I'm also keeping my eye out for a master magnum tanto in San Mai lll...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i_AtApX3468" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i_AtApX3468" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you want traditional katana/wakizashi/tanto, Cold Steel's are overpriced for what they are and there are much better swords for the money by other manufacturers. I can name off a few that are the same price or cheaper yet still better overall.

I can name off many makers as well, Hanwei, Bugei, Ronin, Dynasty, Paul Chen, for starters.

However I came here to the Cold Steel forum to avoid posts like yours. And hear from actual owners of the Cold Steel products I mentioned about their experiences with those products.

You may very well be extremely knowledgable about these products. But what I took away from your post is that you have been here less than a month, posted 7 times, and you are bashing a manufacturers product without any specific explanation as to why. In their forum no less. I find that to be in extremely bad taste. I also noticed this is the only post you have made in this Forum.

To be fair, I have done a lot of research on these products? And like any expensive piece the folks who have laid down there money almost universally seem to think that the sword they purchased is the best. Not surprising really, no one wants to admit thtat they just pissed away $500.00 or more. I am also familiar with James Williams, designer of the CRK&T products I mentioned.

So when I read a post about a Paul Chen Waki from the new owner's perspective, it is the best. The same goes for Ronin. And so on.

What I have read is that the Cold Steel Waki and Katana are slightly heavier with a different balance point than a traditional Japanese Katana. But that they are rugged and battle ready. What has been your experience? Do you actually own any? Have you practiced cutting with one? Where was it sub standard in your opinion? What is your level of experience with Katana, Wakizashi, and Tanto?

If you have an informed opinion. I would love to hear it. With specifics as to how you formed that opinion. As I am sure the folks from Cold Steel would as well. I am sure they are always seeking ways to improve their products and welcome fact based feedback.

If this post comes across as harsh, it is not meant to. But as I stated in my original post. I was aware of the bashing and came here seeking to avoid it

Welcome to the Forums and I hope you enjoy your time here.

Last edited:
Not bashing, critiquing. My good friend owns the entire set and I like them personally, just one thing that keeps me from buying them myself. They are too expensive for what they are. The cheapest I could find the katana is about $500 and that's just too much to pay for a katana made out of basic 1055 steel and isn't even differentially hardended. I know where you can get a semi-custom differentially hardended T-10 (W-1) tool steel katana for the same price. Why would these things cost so much? Maybe the quality of the fittings? No. Ronin katanas uses fittings similar to the ones Cold Steel uses with their blades in 1060 steel, and their swords cost less than $300. IMO, their katanas are horribly overpriced, but I do think most of their other swords are a great deal (Grosse Messer). This is just my $0.02, I don't want to offend Cold Steel or anyone else, as the swords are good quality and are dedicated cutters. Just quite expensive for what you get. (IMO) Thanks for not biting my head off, I had a feeling someone might try to :D

I can name off many makers as well, Hanwei, Bugei, Ronin, Dynasty, Paul Chen, for starters.

However I came here to the Cold Steel forum to avoid posts like yours. And hear from actual owners of the Cold Steel products I mentioned about their experiences with those products.

You may very well be extremely knowledgable about these products. But what I took away from your post is that you have been here less than a month, posted 7 times, and you are bashing a manufacturers product without any specific explanation as to why. In their forum no less. I find that to be in extremely bad taste. I also noticed this is the only post you have made in this Forum.

To be fair, I have done a lot of research on these products? And like any expensive piece the folks who have laid down there money almost universally seem to think that the sword they purchased is the best. Not surprising really, no one wants to admit thtat they just pissed away $500.00 or more. I am also familiar with James Williams, designer of the CRK&T products I mentioned.

So when I read a post about a Paul Chen Waki from the new owner's perspective, it is the best. The same goes for Ronin. And so on.

What I have read is that the Cold Steel Waki and Katana are slightly heavier with a different balance point than a traditional Japanese Katana. But that they are rugged and battle ready. What has been your experience? Do you actually own any? Have you practiced cutting with one? Where was it sub standard in your opinion? What is your level of experience with Katana, Wakizashi, and Tanto?

If you have an informed opinion. I would love to hear it. With specifics as to how you formed that opinion. As I am sure the folks from Cold Steel would as well. I am sure they are always seeking ways to improve their products and welcome fact based feedback.

If this post comes across as harsh, it is not meant to. But as I stated in my original post. I was aware of the bashing and came here seeking to avoid it

Welcome to the Forums and I hope you enjoy your time here.

Excellent post! BladesB4Firearms, IMO your post sounded very much like the Cookie cutter/ Follower blanket statements made only to downplay Coldsteel. No Offense, just saying it how it is. Also I have seen that the warrior katana can be found for around 300 on some sites. They make no mention to there blades being traditionally constructed and that's not what they are meant to be. They are marketed as beater/combat ready weapons.

Yes, but he is referring to the Dragonfly series, which are much more expensive. It is no generic post, just the honest truth. If you want an overpriced sword that's up to you, but you cannot say I'm wrong for saying there are better swords for the money.

Oh and as far as beaters go, yes they are great, but there are cheaper beaters out there that are just as good or better.

No experience with the swords, but i do have a couple of Magnum Tanto II, Master Tanto, Recon Tanto, Tanto Lite & the Kobun...
Honestly...the only ones that i have really used are the Recon Tanto (SanMai) and the Tanto Lite...the Master / Magnum...every time i take them out, i just end up slicing some paper, giving them a wipe and back in the sheath... i have too many other knives that i end up doing my cutting with...
as you stated in your post, the simplicity and elegance kinda got me i guess...i had always wanted a Master Tanto since i saw one as a kid in the 90s...and here i am...
they are well made, nicely balanced knives...if they appeal to you just go for it :)
nsRLr3l.jpg

I'll chime in.

I have an Original brass furnished tanto I purchased in 1989 at a gun-knife show in NC, and I also have the All Stainless Tanto version about 7in. long.

My Carbon V Recon Tanto will soon be accompanied by the SM3 versions!!

I also own and frequently carry my All Brass Original Mini-Tanto, and its all stainless brother.

All of them are works of "martial art" to me. Ive carried them for 20 yrs, off and on.

Thier only weakness IMHO is the use of "harness grade" leather instead of "saddle grade" in the sheathes, and the weak velcro attachments to retain the knives.
For years, Ive lusted after a Magnum IX, or XII Tanto, but I'm starting to wonder if that will ever be checked off my wish list.

I expect that the tanto you choose will perform flawlessly. I pprefer the Lynn Thompson design American Tanto point/blade versions to Traditional knives, because that "second point" can save your "begonias" in CQB, with a snap cut.

Don't get me wrong, Japanese metallurgy/smithing absolutely fascinates me. Those folks have a connection w/ the blade few "westerners" can achieve.

Anybody who can take black iron sand, charcoal, like "a rock outa dirt" and hammer it out, make a blade that can sever timber grade 4in. bamboo w/ a single stroke....damn....that gets my attention right off the bat!

Basically because you just turned a hunk of steel/iron that could be thrown from the caveman perspective, into a steel "club" w/ the sharpest edge on earth, unless you want to bring up obsidian or tungsten examples.

Last edited:
Basically because you just turned a hunk of steel/iron that could be thrown from the caveman perspective, into a steel "club" w/ the sharpest edge on earth, unless you want to bring up obsidian or tungsten examples.

Not to disparage Japanese smiths, but I'm not sure their blades are sharper than anyone else's...from what I've read that's basically a myth, and people have shown the katana's cutting performance to be matched by a variety of blades. I know the Japanese swords are extremely well made, but I don't think they're necessarily sharper than a lot of others.

the higher ends are nice but
in all honesty,
i find the kobun perfectly weighted and sized for sd carry.

Not to disparage Japanese smiths, but I'm not sure their blades are sharper than anyone else's...from what I've read that's basically a myth, and people have shown the katana's cutting performance to be matched by a variety of blades. I know the Japanese swords are extremely well made, but I don't think they're necessarily sharper than a lot of others.

Yes, VERY good point. I was using the "sharpest blade on earth", meaning ANY blade that is properly forged/ground/ h.t. and tempered, made of a high/premium quality steel, v/s a blade made of some other material.

Sure, ceramic can be razor sharp, and stay that way for long periods of time, but you can't make a large enough blade out of ceramics, i.e. a ceramic tanto, that has the toughness of steel. Not yet, anyways.

the higher ends are nice but
in all honesty,
i find the kobun perfectly weighted and sized for sd carry.

Me too, and I love my "frontline" tantos, but isn't it funny how the kobun is the one most of us usually grab for first?? Theres just something so "comfortable" about that little knife...

Yes, VERY good point. I was using the "sharpest blade on earth", meaning ANY blade that is properly forged/ground/ h.t. and tempered, made of a high/premium quality steel, v/s a blade made of some other material.

Oh okay, in that case, right on. Too often I've known people(often younger people) who really do believe a katana can cut better than ANYTHING, and flat out don't believe me when I say otherwise.

Katanas are like any other weapon, basically its a sword. Thats all...I'll give you the o.k. on the idea thats its most certianly in the top three...but its still a chunk of metal w/ an edge, somehow or other applied.

The Japanese process lends a mystique to its manufacturing, but just because a legend says it will cut up a machine gun doesn't hold water for me.

I prefer a khukuri shaped/style blade for outdoor applications. Im 47 years old, and I don't give a hell who made the thing, show me that the weapon will go thru 9" of properly prepared tatami mats in a single stroke. Then we'll talk money.

All the extra money boils down to fit/finish and blade polishing.

Putting a mirror finish on 20" of razor sharp steel is a time consuming, aggrivating and professional endevour. It costs more money if it is done right, and it should. Brighter finishes reduce blade drag, and there are fewer microscopic "holes" for a corrosive material (like blood) to hide in, and accelerate the rusting process.

Back