Tanto Questions

The long CRKT tantos are overbuild and hard to swing fast. The added momentum might be good for chopping trees but its overkill for unarmored targets.
The backward curve makes stabbing harder but looks nice traditional :)
I have the Sakimori and the next bigger one and love their looks, but dislike how they handle. However with enough training I would get used to them I'm sure.
I also have their folders and the best one hand down is the Hissatsu (Folder not fixed).
Its nice heavy in the handle and the light blade just follows very fast. The opening action is super solid and sounds scary. Dinggggggggg. Its also not bend backwards too much and a great stabber. The only thing to get used to is the thumbstud. Don't push at it at 90 degrees to the side. You have to push more of 45 to the top. No big deal since you just have to follow the groove in the handle. It doesn't look fancy but feels solid. Very utilitarian if you ask me.
The smaller Heiho looks more gentleman like (CRKT's online pictures don't do it any justice) and is probably more than sufficient for everything I need and doesn't look threatening which is good if you are actually planning on using it when civilians are around. In a fight I wouldn't feel comfy with it but when do they ever happen?

Last edited:
The BEST knife fight in the entire world, IMHO, is the knife fight that you used your God given intelligence to never be involved in, in the first damned place.

Real hand to hand combat w/ knives is a GORY, bloody, sickening, gurgling and struggling for air to breathe" nasty state of affairs.

In all likely-hood both you and your attacker will need some form of medical care, or a coroner. BAD, BAD spot to find yourself in, but its "better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6!!"

What would you do if your knife broke?? Lost its edge or ability to stab w/ ease? What to do if your initial reaction is to reach for the folder, and you lost it, or it has been stolen??

Is your training and physical ability good enough to at least tip the scales of your survival in a knife fight?

I feel much better if theres a G21 hugging my hip, but thats just me.

Here is the magnum tanto II I've had for ages. I love the knife, But knowing what I know now I would never buy another one. San Mai III is a neat gimmick. But the steel is not hard enough to need to be a laminate. It's more of a hey look what we can do type of thing.

20130412_200758.jpg
[/IMG]

I like the knife enough that I had a left hand Kydex sheath made for it. But it would not be the knife I'd grab if I knew my life would depend on it.

Just being honest.

Katanas are like any other weapon, basically its a sword. Thats all...I'll give you the o.k. on the idea thats its most certianly in the top three...but its still a chunk of metal w/ an edge, somehow or other applied.

The Japanese process lends a mystique to its manufacturing, but just because a legend says it will cut up a machine gun doesn't hold water for me.

I prefer a khukuri shaped/style blade for outdoor applications. Im 47 years old, and I don't give a hell who made the thing, show me that the weapon will go thru 9" of properly prepared tatami mats in a single stroke. Then we'll talk money.

All the extra money boils down to fit/finish and blade polishing.

Putting a mirror finish on 20" of razor sharp steel is a time consuming, aggrivating and professional endevour. It costs more money if it is done right, and it should. Brighter finishes reduce blade drag, and there are fewer microscopic "holes" for a corrosive material (like blood) to hide in, and accelerate the rusting process.

I would venture to say that you agree with me about Khukuris then too, as in "I don't give a hell who made it"...
Some on BF say that "only Khukuris made in Nepal by a kami are "real" Khukuris and other such (IMHO) nonsense. It's a blade, not a magical artifact.
Glad to see someone who's had some steel in their hands for a while agreeing with me. :)

Back