Tarzan's Knife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda out there, but on a long drive today, I wondered what a historically accurate knife would have fit into the Tarzan stories.

If you are not familiar with the literature behind the popular icon and related movies, Edgar Rice Burrows wrote a series of novels starting in 1912. (I read all the novels when I was in junior high school.) After the death of his parents in the African jungle, Tarzan was able to compete for survival using his intellect and his father's hunting knife to compensate for his lack of physical strength.

What sort of belt knife would one expect in the early 1900's, as owned by an English Lord with military experience and big game hunting experience? Any pics?

Last edited:
Well, we know that Lord Greystoke and his wife set sale from Dover for West Africa in 1888. At this time, Sheffield England was producing a number of bowie knives as they were in vogue at the time. Burroughs only ever describes it as a "Hunting knife." By that discription we can only really rule out things like daggers and folding knives. I don't think it would have been skinning knife, or anything else so small. Soon after Tarzan finds it, he is confronted by the huge gorilla, Bolgani. In the ensuing struggle, the knife "sank deep into its body the gorilla shrieked in pain and rage." Burroughs describes the knife in the same fight as having a "long, sharp blade." And yeah, Tarzan stabs to death the great bull gorilla. So I'm gonna guess this hunting knife is BIG.

Actually, Edgar Rice Burroughs was as American as apple pie. And I always pictured Tarzan's knife as a big Hudson Bay type with at least a 10 inch blade.

This is the closest thing I have to a Tarzan blade. According to the maker, Larry Walker, it's based on a French trade knife.
IMG_5410.jpg

IMG_5407.jpg

IMG_5403.jpg

(I read all the novels when I was in junior high school.)

I grew up on Edgar Rice Burroughs as well in the early 60's. Not just his Tarzan series, but his Pellucidar (Center of the Earth), Mars and Venus series of books. It's hard to say what knife Burroughs pictured in his mind for Tarzan, but the blade had to be large enough to penetrate the hearts of large carnivores and hominoids. Most of his early first editions did not have illustrations, but some of his later ones did. Here's one from a first edition of Tarzan and the Foriegn Legion copywrite 1947. The knife in the illustration may have come from the mind of the iillustrator, but it had to have been approved by Burroughs:

orig.jpg

As an aside, there was a story-telling contest on a Randall forum back in 2004 and this was my entry. I got a kick writing it:

It was one of countless incidences of violence that played out in nature's game of survival in the African jungle every day. The great ape mother had been momentarily been distracted by a large beetle and set down and turned away from her infant son. The leopard had been waiting patiently at the edge of the clearing for just such an opportunity and sprang the few yards necessary to seize her pray and then vanish into the dense foliage.

My father had always been an avid hunter from the time it was a necessity to put food on the table to later in his life when money was not an object and the act became a challenging sport. It had been almost two years before I was born that he had taken a safari into Africa and he felt that both my mother and myself were now able to safely accompany him. Armed with his 300 Weatherby magnum and a knife made by a man named Randall reputed to be the finest ever made, he set off with Mother and I in tow on a sequence of flights that terminated in Capetown. There he chartered a small boat and we headed up the West African coast. I heard Mother nervously whisper to Father that the crewman looked nefarious which meant nothing to me at the time, but whatever he said seemed to reassure her and we ventured on. Several nights later, we were wakened by the three crewman clutching wicked looking machetes and showing rotten teeth in hideous grimaces. It was over before either Mother and I could even fully comprehend our peril. Father had been a blur and the three villains were dispatched and laying askew on the cabin floor. The sighs of relief had barely passed our lips when there was a deafening sound and simultaneous jolt. Father grabbed us both and took us on deck. We've hit a submerged rock, he said calmly. Get into the lifeboat and I'll be along as soon as I gather some things.
The tree house my father built at the edge of the jungle with the aid of that wonderful knife wasn't big, but it was high enough to escape the menacing glares of large carnivores that would smell our scent and hungrily stare up at us every night. During the day, my father would forage for food and water and be ever ready to light the signal fire should another boat steam by. One day Mother grew ill with a high fever and Father could do nothing but bathe her forehead with cool water. A look of despair came over his face that I had never seen before. Mother grew worse, soon becoming incoherent and finally as her chest stopped rising and falling I heard loud grunts and screeches in the trees near us. My Father snapped out of his daze just in time to greet the onslaught of the first of a number of large bull apes. My father was a strong man, but these creatures weighed near 200 kilos and he was no match. Several of them were gravely wounded by the wielding of his Randall, but in the end he went down. As the largest bull turned and started to approach me snarling, a female ape stepped in between us and seemed to go berserk. The next thing I knew I was dizzily swinging through the upper reaches of the forest with my face pressed against the female apes pungent hair. My surrogate mother continued to obsessively protect and teach me the ways of the jungle until the band of great apes finally accepted me.
I must have been about twelve when we happened to run across the tree house during a day of foraging. I was always the most curious of the lot and soon found myself inside the cool shaded interior. There were many objects I had vague memories of including father's diary, but the Randall knife captured my attention to the exclusion of everything else. Just before I cut myself and in the process began to understand the true potential of the weapon, I noticed the sheath stone pocket was still firmly attached to the otherwise rotting leather of the sheath itself identified by the word Heiser on the back.
Despite my youth and inferior strength, my higher intellect and that Randall knife made me an equal to any of the other bulls and they soon learned that to antagonize me would result in days of their suffering. As I grew older, stronger and more adept in the ways of the jungle, my Randall afforded both the means of filling my belly and defense from the larger predators. It became routine to drop from a tree limb on to the back of a boar or deer wandering along a game trail, encircling their neck with my right hand and driving the Randall blade into their vitals. Many a lion and tiger were disposed of the same way, but this was always somewhat less of a routine.
One day as I wandered far from the band as I was want to do when I was older, I heard noises in the distance. Moving downwind, I approached from the advantage of the forest heights and what I saw piqued my curiosity: The noise was some type of speech emanating from two beings that resembled myself! It turns out that they were Aussie and Canadian friends out on Safari together. I won't bore you with what transpired after this, but suffice to say I was reunited with my father's inheritance, found a lovely bride and had Clarence Moore make me a new sheath for my beloved Randall.

Best,

Read the books and he describes it fairly well.

It must be a VERY sturdy blade and it had to be long enough to reach the inner cavity of LARGE animals.

I also grew up on Tarzan and once had the ENTIRE collection of Tarzan, and the John Carter series.
In 1959 my best friend and i both bought Solingen Original Bowies and felt well armed. :cool:

I am a HUGE Burroughs fan (currently making my girlfriend read "The Mucker" right now.) This post just gave me a great excuse to grab my old copy and start reading again.

Whatever Edgar Rice Burroughs or Johnny Weismuller wanted him to carry ;).

I'm betting a Sheffield bowie.

It seems that a lot of artists who drew Tarzan used bowie style clip points and a few Arkansas "toothpick" styles. Check out this page:
http://www.erbzine.com/mag23/2399.html
(I grew up on 70s Tarzan TV series, too, the one with Ron Ely who was bad ass. I know most people think Johnny Weismuller was the best because he did everything - run, swim, all the stunts)

Joe Musso in blade 2012 shows how he obtained the wooden and rubber ones Weismueller used in the early movies, it got it from a when the studios merged. My thought on his knife would be a wicked hunting knife with a sharp clip point or a Searles type knife with black handle.

English nobility going on a safari during the height of the Victorian Era? I can't see them equipping themselves with anything less than "Made in Britain". They were the worlds greatest industrial power back then. France or Germany/Austria weren't even close and the USA was a backwards farmtown.

BTW, ERB lived in Southern California on his ranch named Tarzana,. It is now a high-end city with many famous residents such as Slash, Michael J. Fox, Jamie Foxx, Steve Martin and Chris Tucker -although I think Chris' home may have been foreclosed.

A couple of points. Though Weismuller did many of the stunts, his stunt double was in point of fact Ray "Crash" Corrigan for the first few films. As for the period correct knife the one carried by Weismuller for the first movies (at least up to Tarzan Finds a Son) is actually quite appropriate. The British Empire exposed their citizenry to the styles, weapons, traditions, beliefs, and people of other countries. That first knife is something one would have expected to find in a cutlers shop in India, the middle east, or northern Africa and could have easily been found for sale in England as well.
A knife of that design appears to be extremely practical for one who is heading off into regions unknown/unexplored for dressing out large game, fish, as well as for protection. I have thought about having several knives made like it for myselg and some good friends, perhaps from D2 steel. There are several good close ups of this knife in Tarzan Escapes and Tarzan Finds a Son.
A bowie of course would not have been out of place either.

a bit off topic, but could you message me, i've come to find that my dad has a faber bowie from solingen, was curious if you had any other information, i tried doing a couple searches, but couldn't find any
I also grew up on Tarzan and once had the ENTIRE collection of Tarzan, and the John Carter series.
In 1959 my best friend and i both bought Solingen Original Bowies and felt well armed. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back