Tell me about the Case 06247

kamagong

Gold Member
I think I finally found a Case knife I want. Unfortunately it is a pattern that is long out of production. The 06247 is a large pen at 3 7/8". I normally prefer single blade knives, but the 06247 reminds me of my nacre covered Christians knife, so I think I'll like it.

The 06247 was last made in 1983 from what I could gather. Was this before Case started cutting corners? Are the shields on this model all pinned or were some glued?

Also, were these knives made with CV blades or were they also offered with Tru-Sharp? I am only interested in a CV knife.

Anything else I should know about? I previously owned a large grand daddy barlow in Delrin, but this will be my first user Case knife.

Thanks for the help.

You're not alone in looking at them. I've had my eye on a 1 dot (1979 - my birth year) model in appaloosa bone, and am still debating it. If it's still hanging around in May, I might just have to get it for myself for my birthday this year ;)

They are very nice carries for a Premium Stockman frame (3-7/8”) laying flat in the pocket. I’ve only seen them in carbon steel, never seen one in stainless. Mine was made in 1975 (Five Dot) and has bone handles and a pinned shield. Case began glueing shields in the 1970’s with the Delrin handled knives, then added the bone handled knives (cannot recall a date but believe it was a phased in transition). I think if you stay mid-1970’s and earlier you will have a pinned shield but I will also say I haven’t lost a glued shield in a bone handled Case made from the mid 1970’s to the mid 1980’s. OH
Case-06247-PEN-1975.jpg

One of my favorite Case patterns. The 47 frame also comes in the stockman and muskrat configurations. The 06247PEN is a very slim pocketable knife. OH is correct about the stainless not being available in the PEN models. The pinned shields stopped I believe around 1977 on these models. They also changed from premium nickel silver to cheaper brass pins and scales in the late 70’s. This is a 1974 model. :)

32605123241_d04e800ecd_o_d.jpg

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.

Nice! Pictures like these two are why I want this pattern. Simply drool inducing.

When I found out how close in size and shape the 06247 is to my Go-To-Meetin' knife, I figured I can't lose. Looks a smidge bigger, but given how trim and svelte the 06247 seems I doubt it'll be a problem.

Here's a picture of the knife I'm talking about. I put in the WCLF to give a sense of scale.

49460596796_5e65e2efe5_b.jpg

Now to go a huntin' for a red bone.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Real mother of pearl would have the number 08247!!
Interesting and rare!!:eek:

LOL...the one is plenty enough for me Charlie. As beautiful as nacre is, it's a bit too fussy for my tastes. I only showed it in the hopes that one of you can confirm the 06247 isn't too far off in size.

No, it's red bone for me.

LOL...the one is plenty enough for me Charlie. As beautiful as nacre is, it's a bit too fussy for my tastes. I only showed it in the hopes that one of you can confirm the 06247 isn't too far off in size.

No, it's red bone for me.
there is a nice looking one on fleabay right now, but I can't tell for certain what color the bone handles are. I don't know what these sell for, but the price asked does not seem unreasonable to me....

I think I finally found a Case knife I want. Unfortunately it is a pattern that is long out of production. The 06247 is a large pen at 3 7/8". I normally prefer single blade knives, but the 06247 reminds me of my nacre covered Christians knife, so I think I'll like it.
Thanks for starting this thread, Christian! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
I noticed a couple of 06247PENs posted in the Totin' Today thread in the past week, and I was quite "smitten" by this pattern I hadn't been aware of until recently. I told the posters that they had inspired me to add another knife to my "someday list". ;) (I'm a fan of the '347 stockman pattern, but had no idea that a 2-blade version existed.)

Charlie waynorth waynorth that 05247SP is a sensational variation on the theme! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

05247 XX in Red Stag!! I think I still have this knife, but I will have to ask SWFK* to help me locate it!!:(:rolleyes:View attachment 1274484 View attachment 1274485 View attachment 1274486

* She Who Finds Knives!!

Nice!!! :thumbsup: Why is the pile side better looking? ;)

Thanks for starting this thread, Christian! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
I noticed a couple of 06247PENs posted in the Totin' Today thread in the past week, and I was quite "smitten" by this pattern I hadn't been aware of until recently. I told the posters that they had inspired me to add another knife to my "someday list". ;) (I'm a fan of the '347 stockman pattern, but had no idea that a 2-blade version existed.)

Charlie waynorth waynorth that 05247SP is a sensational variation on the theme! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

I'm joining 5K Qs 5K Qs (GT) and adding this to my "someday" list.
You guys are horrible to my wallet, you should be ashamed of the way you treat it. :D

Might have to as well.

The "Totin'" thread is dangerous. They should make you sign a Waiver of Liability and Assumption of Risk Agreement before you are allowed to view it. That very same thread is what made me aware of the 06247.

I should have made sure to pick up a 06247 before I started this thread. Now that it's been brought to our collective attention, I foresee a bit of a competition in the hunt for them.

Well now I want a Case knife lol. Dont worry, I wont fight ya for one. If it had a straight edged secondary I would probably already have one. Nothing a file couldnt take care of ;)

Great pictures gentlemen!

I should have made sure to pick up a 06247 before I started this thread. Now that it's been brought to our collective attention, I foresee a bit of a competition in the hunt for them.
When I saw the current prices being asked for the 06247 ( not that bad really ) I looked into the 05427 to see if they could possibly be a good similarly priced alternative , and wow people want an exuberant amount for those on eBay :eek:
They really want big bucks for them 05427 large pens.

Back