1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

3. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  4. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Ten 3" EDC, Delta 3V

Discussion in 'For Sale: Fixed Blades' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    The 3" EDC2 was designed as a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is a well made, no frills, high performance, small utility knife. The steel is Crucible CPM 3V at HRC 61-62 with a fully optimized heat treat with very good edge retention and edge stability. You'll be surprised how sharp this gets and how well it holds an edge. If you have never used 3V this hard and thin, it is gonna blow your mind.

This steel with this heat treat will support a fine edge, so this was taken down to .015" before sharpening (though I'm leaving some additional meat in the tip) and it was sharpened 18 degrees per side. This is relatively acute and it cuts very well, but is durable. They're also lightly hand ground after machining to give it a shallow S grind that is slightly hollow in the center and convex at the shoulders.

It's a light weight hard working cutting tool, a tradesman's knife and small woods knife.

The handle is ergonomically designed for a standard forward, reverse, saber and pinch grips for an average to relatively large hand. Despite its compact size it fills the hand and allows extended hard work without hand fatigue. The tang is internally skeletonized. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. The blade is made of 5/32"” 3V with a heat treat that has been optimized to maximize edge stability in rough use (see video). Despite being relatively thin it is very durable.

A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is nearly so.

Specs:
    Delta 3V, 61-62 HRC, .145” thick at ricasso
    Total length 7.6
    Blade length 3.3
    Weight 4.9 oz
    Edge angle 18 DPS
    .025" BTE
    Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
    Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners
    Hidden lanyard

Choice of vertical or horizontal Kydex sheath made by Dan Crotts of Dozier Knives. You can add an extra sheath for $50.

Be aware the horizontal sheath has very high retention. You can't remove the knife by pulling straight back, you have to tilt it up at the same time. See video. If you want something that's easy to get in and out of you should choose the vertical pouch sheath.

Tell me what scale option you choose and I'll build it. There are ten knives available in this sale. The knives in the picture are not the knives you will receive. We're sharpening now, they'll ship next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rather than just take my word for it I made a video:

[video=youtube;zC_-PIFw-KA]

A video illustrating the sheath options:

[video=youtube;HiG_KqF06KY]

These are all “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed with tool and grind marks.

$255 in canvas micarta, natural or black
    $265 in OD green micarta
    $265 in black, OD green, forest green G10
    $275 in multi color G10
    $275 in maroon micarta

We have a small quantity of multi color G10 available as supplies last in black/blue black/toxic green, black/orange and black/pink.
    I'm discontinuing maroon micarta, there are limited scales remaining, once it's gone it's done.

Shipping in the USA is $12.
    Includes a good kydex sheath, choose vertical or horizontal. An extra sheath is $50

These knives are unusual because they are machined. I do this in my shop on industrial CNC machine tools. A WIP thread documenting my technique can be found here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pre-order-12-behemoth-chopper.1541591/

I take paypal, cash, check or MO.

Jo will contact you via PM or email over the next few days. Emails though BF often get lost in spam filters. If you don't hear from her by mid week please contact Jo on her PM, or send us an email at jocarothers at g mail dought com

Twenty HDFK here in two weeks!

Thanks for looking,
    Nathan

2. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    In for one please.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  3. RobC2

RobC2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 2, 2010
    I'll take one $255 in canvas micarta, natural or black, vertical sheath.

4. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2015

Black micarta with vertical sheath. :)

5. Uspsaguy

Uspsaguy Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 14, 2017
    E

6. wireman12

wireman12 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Just practice, pass it down the line

7. ikari

ikari

Mar 21, 2018
    in for 1

Natural Micarta, Vertical sheath.

8. T.O.

T.O.

Jan 5, 2007
    1 please

9. Phill50

Phill50 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Yes

10. dtmbinb

dtmbinb

Feb 22, 2011
    I'll take one in black. Unbuffed if possible. Vertical sheath. Thanks!

11. sgtunc

sgtunc

Jan 7, 2016
    I'll take one. Maroon micarta and horizontal sheath, please.

12. Bigalmalloy

Bigalmalloy

Apr 10, 2015
    Ill take one

Black micarda
    Vertical sheath

13. Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2018
    I would like one. OD green g10

Email rickyg316 at gmail dot com

14. mainaman

mainaman Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 14, 2009
    I'll take one in black micarta

15. Jo the Machinist

Jo the Machinist KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 17, 2015
    Please send Jo an email at jocarothers (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks! Jo

16. indawire

indawire Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 26, 2011
    I'll take one if available, natural micarta, vertical sheath.

17. inspector-callahan

inspector-callahan Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2011
    I'll take one in black canvas micarta if available ..unbuffed finish if an option. Vertical sheath! Thanks!

18. alex451

alex451 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 23, 2014
    i`ll take one in natural micarta if available

19. dupont

dupont

Mar 10, 2017
    1 please

20. mPisi

mPisi

Oct 12, 2001
    In for 1 if any still available, thanks!

21. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    I'll take one please.
    Well, I doth thinkith, I'm number seventeenith. If sevenith, dudesith, drop outiths, please let me knowith? Okeedokeeith?
    I readith wrongith, I thoughtith, it was for twentieth! Uppsiths!