TENNIS ELBOW!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!

Rick, I don't remember where I read this (maybe here) but it makes sense. The article I read explained the problem as a lopsided forearm muscle condition. If you think about it, most all of the work we do as knifemakers is gripping. I can't think of a single thing where we flex our fingers as if trying to open them all the way with pressure. So, the problem as stated in the article was a lack of strenght in the 'flexor' or extension muscles and an overabundance of strength in the 'grip' or hand closing mucsles. Makes sense, huh?

Ok, the excercise recommended makes alot of sense. Get one of those big, fat rubber bands like the blue ones on broccoli from the supermarket. You know the ones I mean. Put your fingertips together including your thumb. Place the rubber band over each finger/thumb nail and slowly open your hand to place tension on the rubber band. Then, continue opening your hand until you reach a point that it begins to give you a little pain. Stop and repeat those steps always quitting when it starts to hurt or become uncomfortable. This is supposed to increase the ratio of strength in your forearm for both opening and closing your hand. Once you reach equilibrium, the problem should go away. Theoretically.

Don't expect immediate results. I believe the article said it would take at least two weeks of regular excercise with the rubber band to notice any real difference and that the pain should subside. Also, some earlier advice was very good. Work until you start to feel the pain, then stop. Rest until the pain goes away ( usually for the rest of the day) then get back to work. I hope this helps. I've never had tennis elbow, but I suffer quite badly with shoulder pain associated with forging. It's really been difficult dealing with it. Common sense helps, but isn't a cure all. Good luck.

Bout all I've found is you just gotta learn to live with it. Heat helps some but not for long.

------------------
Take care!! Michael

Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!
http://www.nebsnow.com/L6steel
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms!!!

Rick, around here the chain pharmacies carry Tiger Balm. I went to http://www.sav-ondrugs.com/default.asp and did a search for Tiger Balm and they have all the varieties. What I've used is "Red." There's one that is less intense and one stronger. This stuff is great for sore muscles, and for me gives temporary relief for that occasional tendonitis (fingers).

I think the best advice I've seen here is probably the least welcome, and that is rest it out. That really seems to be the only way to get tendonitis to heal. Meanwhile, if you'd like for me to keep your steel and belts company, send em along.
smile.gif

There are abviously just a whole bunch of guys hoping you get better. Please add me to the list. Two elbow and back surgeries later, I feel your pain
frown.gif
Terry

Hey Rick...

Zostrix is by Rx Only..
go to your doc and tell him you want to try a couple different strengths... .25,,.50,,.75% Respectively...

It's hot stuff,,so take it easy...
smile.gif

It's a Cayenne pepper extract.. Same stuff in pepper spray...

As far as grinding differently...Try your machines at different heights, elbow rests, or even try grinding like they do in Europe..Sitting,,low to the ground...

I'm not a knifemaker,,so I may not know if any of this stuff can be done,, but it's worth a shot...

A slight change in table height,,even a couple of inches might make a world of difference...

Take Care my friend..

ttyle

Eric...

------------------
On/Scene Tactical
Leading The Way In Quality Synthetic Sheathing

The forearm brace and the rubber bands worked for me. I also take alfalfa and black cherry juice. 8 affalfa tablets and a 1/2 cup of black cherry juice daily for a month, and then cut back some.

I'm allergic to Ibuprofin!

Back