Testing standards for knives

Im tired.
I dont feel that stock removal or heat treating is an issue. ALL should be welcome.
How you do business is not the intent here.

If you dont make biguns (hooter mag al bundy)
no sweat. The testing should be simple and for all types of knives.
I dont know at this point about meetings
and get togethers. That could develope.
The point is to build a database with information for each type of knife. Grinds can be taken into account ect. as posted above a hollow ground hunter that chipped on bone. Well we know that if its thin there could be a problem with that function on a knife like that. The box for boning should say NO
:]
This way it is covered when you send the knife.

Some makers may say yes for a thicker hollow grind.
This is your choice. Test it. this stops the BS.

Our group The american armchair ninja or whatever we call it just uses these sheets for knife delivery. It tells the client what to expect . The outline for these requirements should be made by elected folks and outside sources that we trust as experts.
I feel we should at his time
1. decide if we will have layers.. steps like the abs? ect with our own flavor of coarse.
2. determine by vote who makes the requirements for each style of knife. I dont feel one person can do this except a very few.
3. Contact respected canidates that we come up with and send them with a professional request for there services.
4. Make an update schedule for these tests as the years pass. Things change as far as steel ect.requirements and modifications
5.If you want extreme abuse added to the list for your knives ask these folks for what they consider extreme circumstances. That can be a check box with comments.
6. Decide if we will honor a knife if abused.
Im tired .. just some thoughs

Comments?

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com

Sounds good to me, even though I'm tired too.
biggrin.gif

Nick

Just some rambling thoughts as this has been on my mind since I read it.
Are you wanting something so defined as say a category the blade falls under, for example
Style of blade Hunter
steel type ats-34
blade length 4"
hardness 60 rc
type of grind hollow

and once the testing benchmark is defined for this particular blade all makers who participate will know what the standard for a custom blade of this configuration should be.

This sounds like it will require a large database and time.

Then each time a blade is submitted the steps will be to find the category the knife falls under and run it thru the test defined for that blade.
1. blade shape purpose
2. blade length
3.Steel type
4.hardness RC
5.type of grind
and then a list of requirements a blade should be capable of meeting.

Is this the road your on or am I lost, because I think this would be a valuable asset to makers and buyers alike as a point of reference and education.

It is a big commitment

Jonesy

As a user, I like what I am seeing on this thread. A win-win situation for everyone. Make it happen.

Harry

Jonesy You have the right idea.. Thats what Im saying!!!!!!!
This way we have record of what we say a knife will do and not do. We need to define the styles now and the purpose of each style.
Then move on to materials and different edge tyep ect.

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com

Good solid standards have worked well for the ABS for quite a while, the Guild even longer. No doubt about it, they would be good for the maker,(unless all he/she turns out is a POS) and the buyer alike. There will no doubt be some in both camps that would cry foul. For instance those who don't want to upgrade to the standard or those who want to peddle sub-standard knives as top quality. In either event they are in a very small minority and for the most part the knife community can well do without them.

Charge on Darrel, I'm in your camp on this one.

biggrin.gif

------------------
old pete

Pete
I enjoy both the Abs and Guild.
I feel the same way there is always contraversy in everything new.
I feel both organizations do a good job.
And as you can see in recent posts I am not perfect either . But I back my product 110 percent. A set of standards delivered with each knife would explaine this to the client and give thne an idea of what can be expected and what the preformance of the knife style is.
I am just trying to eliminate the crazy things that knife folks have seen that dont make since and passes the real purpose of the knife off as just maker hype.
I just want to set standards for knife types and styles. This can be a broad range of standards. But it will explaine to the client what they have when they purchase the knife. Thats all.

There is to many splits in the ABS and Guild politics wise. Hell I dont get that part?
Were all knife makers .. cant we just get along?

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 07-04-2000).]

Back