TGLB flex....

Chopped and battoned (or however you spell that word) a cord of wood yesterday with the TGLB just to see how well it would do.

Couldn't be more pleased.

One log in particular was extremely punky and full of knots. I got about 1/3 of the way through when the TGLB was plain stuck dead in its tracks.

I was wailing on the spine with everything I had. Before it made it through, it was flexing big time! I tried to get it on camera best I could but pics don't do it no where near as well as it looked in person.......

empty.png

nOfpxv.jpg

empty.png

20180627_202607.jpg
Snakebreaker
LINK
DIRECT
FORUM
ALT
HTML

Damn. That is awesome. Ive moved from mostly collecting to mostly using, and seeing this just makes me love Busse even more. Thanks for posting!

If you were to get technical, it even flexed holding that slice of wedding cake :D
That's some serious torque though! And reading this reminded me of a video, I believe it was one of Robs chopping and battoning vids where he flexed the hell out of a Gemini P I want to say? could be wrong, but for some reason that's in my brain? I'm pretty sure it was a TG though. And one last thing, I'm pretty sure I've seen flex tests from Busse and it's supposed to be one of the magical properties of Infi. I've read tails here of Jerry demonstrating this at knife shows in the past....Those kind of things stuck with me because I was always under the impression that hardened steel knives flex very little to the point they break like a piece of glass - but consider, until this joint, all I've ever owned was cheap ass crap besides that old K-Bar my Uncle gave me. and I think I even managed breaking that one unknown decades ago using it like a pry bar.

i need to test that with the hogb8 :D

nice flex, i had something like this with my 1311 a while ago, forgot to take pics

Awesome. When I was testing out my BG AK47 awhile ago , pictures in an older thread I made, the thing was bending considerably after a hard chop it sprang back to straight and true immediately.

When properly heat treated and tempered steel should remain tough for cutting and chopping yet still have elasticity to spring back to the original shape....Jerry's 72 hour heat treat process brings out the best of INFI's blade steel properties...:)

When properly heat treated and tempered steel should remain tough for cutting and chopping yet still have elasticity to spring back to the original shape....Jerry's 72 hour heat treat process brings out the best of INFI's blade steel properties...:)
Which enforces the basis for my prior knowledge of knives and their capabilities- They didn't sell that fancy shit at K-Mart or Western Auto<-man those were a great store back in the day

The answer is right here in the Busse owners manual

Flexibility

In one of our performance tests, we bend a Battle Mistress 35 degrees in a vise and it springs back to true. Why would we do this? What does it prove? What is the benefit to the customer? Not only does this test demonstrate the enormous toughness and lateral strength of an INFI blade but, because our hardness is homogenous and not differential, it demonstrates the amount of lateral strength and "spring" of INFI all the way to the edge. That means that edge of the blade will possess this same toughness. INFI is the only knife steel ever tested that has achieved such high levels of lateral strength with a homogenous hardness of 58 - 60 Rc. No other steel has even neared this performance level.

Yep - this is all badass - I remember watching that Scrappy video - and that is SR101, isnt it?

Thanks for posting pics of the TGLB in action!

Yep - this is all badass - I remember watching that Scrappy video - and that is SR101, isnt it?

Thanks for posting pics of the TGLB in action!

That's SR77 Scrapyards original steel! It's tough stuff. I was excited the MountainManDu was released with it.

That's SR77 Scrapyards original steel! It's tough stuff. I was excited the MountainManDu was released with it.

Thanks for the clarification, Sethro, I knew it was not INFI...

I still think you have one of the best handles on here!

I was listening to Minstrel in the Gallery the other morning while exercising.

And, I digress...

Back