Thailand troubles...

Hello friends,

With nearly all my maternal family living in Bangkok, and having lived there a while myself, I can assure the doomsayers that this is anything but a "Muslim takeover" of Thailand. Despite a long and fractious relationship with the Muslim Malay sultanates that border it to the south, Thai Buddhists have a pretty good historical relationship with Muslims overall. The troubles in the south (Pattani) derive from legitimate political grievances that have a basis in the Anglo-Siamese treaty of 1910 in which the British recognized Thai claims over Pattani in exchange for Thai recognition of British control of certain other Malay states formerly tributary to Siam.

As some others have said on this thread, the real problem is endemic corruption in the Thai political system itself, which has had a magnified effect on Thailand's minorities such as the Patani Malays. Orderly transitions of power are difficult because of the fiscal-military patronage relationships that are so entrenched. A large part of this problem was caused by American Cold War policy which empowered the Thai military and propped up politicians with an ostensible anti-communist posture. It'll take some time yet for true democratic institutions to take hold, and one of the determinants will be some redistribution of wealth and political power away from Bangkok to the provinces.

And it really should be emphasized again: The problem isn't "Islam;" like any other religion it only becomes a beacon for radicalism when social conditions in its places of practice are in upheaval. History proves this. If our goal is to combat extremists (of any sort), we must look past the rhetoric and address the underlying causes which drive people toward violence as their option -- poverty, lack of education, and lack of basic human rights.

Thailand is over 90% Bhuddist. Most of the Muslims are in the south. I don't believe this has anything to do with Islam or religion. I liked Thailand when I visited and hope go back again and visit Phuket which is in the south and was devasted by the tsunami a few years back.

When I was there, there was a crackdown on drug dealers and our tour bus passed a scene where a suspect received a bullet to the head. True, not very democratic, and I don't know if he was armed or threatening at the time but when they say "war on drugs", they really mean it.

The Thais are one of the few in the the less developed world that still welcomes Americans. I have a feeling they will come out of this OK. Thailand translates to "land of the free" from what I was told, and I hope this will be true in the future. They are in much better shape politically than Nepal.

Prayers from Reno and Nepal

Hello friends,

With nearly all my maternal family living in Bangkok, and having lived there a while myself, I can assure the doomsayers that this is anything but a "Muslim takeover" of Thailand. Despite a long and fractious relationship with the Muslim Malay sultanates that border it to the south, Thai Buddhists have a pretty good historical relationship with Muslims overall. The troubles in the south (Pattani) derive from legitimate political grievances that have a basis in the Anglo-Siamese treaty of 1910 in which the British recognized Thai claims over Pattani in exchange for Thai recognition of British control of certain other Malay states formerly tributary to Siam.

As some others have said on this thread, the real problem is endemic corruption in the Thai political system itself, which has had a magnified effect on Thailand's minorities such as the Patani Malays. Orderly transitions of power are difficult because of the fiscal-military patronage relationships that are so entrenched. A large part of this problem was caused by American Cold War policy which empowered the Thai military and propped up politicians with an ostensible anti-communist posture. It'll take some time yet for true democratic institutions to take hold, and one of the determinants will be some redistribution of wealth and political power away from Bangkok to the provinces.

And it really should be emphasized again: The problem isn't "Islam;" like any other religion it only becomes a beacon for radicalism when social conditions in its places of practice are in upheaval. History proves this. If our goal is to combat extremists (of any sort), we must look past the rhetoric and address the underlying causes which drive people toward violence as their option -- poverty, lack of education, and lack of basic human rights.

Great post, ruel. Especially that last part. My thoughts exactly.

I should add that I'm not really "worried" about this. The Thais are some of the most level-headed, cool people I've ever known, and peaceful juntas are nothing new to them. They'll come out of this smiling, and I'll go back as soon as I can.

Chris

Great post, ruel. Especially that last part. My thoughts exactly.

I should add that I'm not really "worried" about this. The Thais are some of the most level-headed, cool people I've ever known, and peaceful juntas are nothing new to them. They'll come out of this smiling, and I'll go back as soon as I can.

Chris

Thanks Chris. But if your experience with Thais is as level-headed and cool people, you mustn't have met my family yet...! :D

Back