The “Can’t leave anything alone” Thread

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Sharp & Fiery, May 10, 2019.

1. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Interesting that most all the modded knives I own are Benchmades. I'm not sure if that's because they're easy to mod or need to be modded. Regardless, here's another, my 581 Barrage in M390 steel.

This one I de-assisted, removed the backspacer and safety, added stand-offs, and changed the bolster screws and thumbstuds to black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ourgon

ourgon

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah, I have few modified BM too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Elite_KG

Elite_KG Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 7, 2012
    ^^^Looks like you have the acid-etch & stone-wash down pat^^^^

The barrage is looking real nice.

ChazzyP likes this.
  4. DrHenley

DrHenley

May 31, 2019
    This knife started life as a Chicago Cutlery chef's knife. My wife got it at Goodwill. Nobody ever used it because it had saw-tooth serrations and a broken plastic handle. But the steel seems to be pretty good.

I decided to make a damned KNIFE out of it, and gave it to my daughter. I reshaped the handle and the blade somewhat, and thinned the blade and ground off the serrations. That's red oak from the back yard on the handle. No need to stabilize, the wood had been sitting out in the rain for ten years and is well seasoned and hard as a rock. Light coat of clear epoxy wood finish just to preserve the color.

I liked the knife so much, I am making similar knives (just longer) for my sisters out of AEB-L. And one for myself too :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  5. Rival1314

Rival1314 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 17, 2012
  6. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Something Obscene J-Cape V3. Anodized 92V green with flecks of 25V blue, along with a 61V copper-colored clip and backspacer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I wasn't thrilled with this one at first, but it's sure grown on me since I improved it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  7. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    92572669-D516-4374-A04D-8E1623FD7E8E.jpeg

8. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Another couple I couldn't leave alone, A.G. Russell Titanium Funny Folder engraved and anodized by me:)

[​IMG]

Emerson Gentleman Jim, full flat regrind w/acid stonewash and "Curly" Carbon Fiber scales, by me.
    [​IMG]

9. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    @WValtakis

I love what you did to that funny folder. Just amazing!

WValtakis likes this.
  10. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    @WValtakis

It looks just phenominal now...i saw your post when it was just engraved, and i was already a little jealous. Now im totally jealous. In a good way. ;) An AG Russel funny folder was on my list too for bladeshow...and then i forgot to look for one because i was all caught up in the bladeshow “WOW!”

WValtakis likes this.
  11. Rose and Thistle Custom

Rose and Thistle Custom Josh Mead Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 9, 2018
    3 DOAT did for wife and I
    black2.jpg
    Some I did
    both.jpg DFLY2.jpg
    20190620_132741-734x852.jpg 20190620_132802-734x850.jpg 20190620_132817-734x1017.jpg

12. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    I had forgotten about this excellent thread until I got a couple likes here today from @Rose and Thistle Custom . It's nice to see some new posts and I'll add this one I mentioned a few pages back. I bought this XM 24 a couple years back on the Exchange. It came as a Spanto grind with an aftermarket ME Frag Coyote brown scale installed but included the original orange G10 as well. The short story is I installed the orange and sold the aftermarket scale, then sent the knife to Josh for a 600 grit, large radius re-grind. It went away a sharpened prybar and came back a light saber with one of Josh's scary-sharp WE edges to boot. I keep all my knives pretty damn sharp, but this one I'm kinda afraid of. I think it could cut a hole in space/time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Josh left the flats with the original stonewash as that's my favorite RHK finish and this is the first knife with his re-designed logo on the the blade. Really love this one. :D

[​IMG]

3L3M3NT, JerseyFresh85, Gravy and 6 others like this.
  13. jacksterp

jacksterp Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 3, 2011
    A simple R2D2 with scales by mhagmx.

[​IMG]

14. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    Decided to re-scale my old CRKT Crawford Falcon this past weekend...much nicer and more comfortable...now its begging to be used!

57262311-E7B4-4AA9-BB60-66193F19A227.jpeg 577B8048-922F-4A4E-A7CF-0C1260BD80BA.jpeg 3D488A8A-31D5-4823-BDBD-540755C32691.jpeg 61B3399A-47DB-4851-83F3-64CCBE216C64.jpeg

Attached Files:

15. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  16. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    Thanks!! I tappered the butt because i find that more comfortable in hand, and slight taper on forward portion of handle. Unfortunately, the “stabilized” blank i got had some inconsistencies...so it made working it challenging. Also, first time to match up jimping and creating jimping in the scales to match. Was a lot of fun!

WValtakis likes this.
  17. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Here's how an assortment of my Southards look currently:

[​IMG]

18. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    Those look slick!!

19. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I still love that guy last on the right. Just something about that combo that's perfect.

20. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    I am in 100% agreement with that statement.