The 121 Old and New

Flatlander1963

Gold Member
The first fixed blade Buck knife I ever owned was this 1975 3 line 4 spacer 440c 121 Fisherman that my father gave me (probably because he owned one and liked it). I've alway loved this pattern. I finially was able to get a NIB 121 Guide which was of course the last version before Buck finially canceled the 121.

I noticed in this year's catalog Buck is down to just four of the classic 100 series patterns. That's great that some are still available but a shame others are not.

Maybe with luck the BCCI will commision a Heritage Sister Set of 5 of the 100 series knives in green canvas and S30V.

So, here is my original 121 (bottom) that is now 35 years old and my new Guide which is only 11 years. Interesting differences in the blade grind and shape as well as the guard.
DSC_1733.jpg

I was just looking had the differences in the height and depth of the hollow grind between the two knives. So any of you guys got experiance with both knives? If so, do you find the Guide a better slicer (which is my guess)?

Yes, I have had both. I can't remember who I sent the top one to.Was it Goose,J.B. or Craig. I don't know. I like both of them . I still have one
but it's out in the reloading shop in one of Jacks sheaths.I think the one I have is like the bottom one and it works great. Been driving all day .Will check it out tomorrow for you.But you know I love them for the game cutting I do.
Maybe ratty will chime in and shead some lite.
Hawkeye

Flat, I only have the Fisherman (1972-79) and it bones and slices very well . In that comparison you may have to factor in a different blade steel as well . When doing comparisons, all things being just close to equal, the thinner blade will cut better . I've seen this in 440C vs 425M . DM

Heres two photos that apply to your discussion. I have two in the kitchen. Hawkeye sent one to me. Thanks Hawk. again. 300Bucks

121blades.jpg

121.jpg

I just bought one off ebay and it is kinda inbetween both of yours the blade guard anr like the bottom one. the pommel is more like the top one. It is new, with new sheath, but no box. It has the small Buck --121--USA. with the blade up and 4 Mircata spacers. There is no pommel pin showing, like the top one. I can't remember what the year the seller said it was---like that makes a difference most of the time. LOL. Hope this helps some.

This post made me go look at the 121 that I have. It is a 2-liner just says BUCK U.S.A. read with the tip down. It is VERY light weight and has a lot of flex in the blade.

I could see where it would be a great fillet knife.

Peter

O.K. Gordon , The 121, I have right now is like the middle one that Craig
has in his pic. If I remember right the Guide sweeps up a little more at the tip.
If it has not been broken off anyway. Yes I agree with you that the Guide
may be a little better cutter.
The type of grind could very well make the difference too.I find them (the more hollow grind easier to sharpen. I know that one of then I had was a lot sharper and held it longer than some.But that could be due to the steel type.I think it was the one I bought from Scott here on the forum.

The bottom line for me is I like and can use all the 121's they are light,and they reach in there and cut where I want them to.
I would love to see a new one in s30v also .:thumbup:

Thanks Craig, you are welcome.:thumbup:

300, Your first one is from early 1972, second 1972-79 and third 1980 . All could be 440C blade steel . There sure is a difference in the grind lines on those knives . Good photos .
You mention using them, do you notice any difference during a cutting chore ?
Bucksforus, look w/ a magnifer, there should be a pin in the pommel . DM

Thanks, I will go do that now. The old eyes aren,t what they used to be, wvwn with reading glasses. I also need someone to assist me as to how to post pictures on here when they have time.. Sure is a beautiful day here in East Texas, thought I was going to have to deal with some rain today. Also went to 1st Monday yesterday and did not find any good knife buys.bummer.

I did not see a pin in the pommel. It is shaped more like the top one in Flatlanders photo, with the sharp I call it a birds beak pommel. It also has the guard looks like the center one on 300,s picture and the blade shapr of the 3rd one on his picture , witha lot of upsweep.

Last edited:
Whats the stamp on it ? Nothing at Canton's First Monday Trades Day ? What a shame ! DM

Tang stamp is identical to 300 center one. Oh there were lots of knives there, most were too high,or not up to my expectations. My knife/mad money is a little low as honeymoon, anual vacation is coming up in a couple of weeks so having to watch the knife buying disease. I took some pictures of some of my Buck fixed blades awhile ago, just need how to figure out how to post on here. I'm still a little--no make that a lot computer illeterate. My wife is the helper and she is in the middle of her tax season and some accounting work. So she is not a lot of help right now. Sorry to be so long winded.

For comparison and showing the grind changes in the 121s through time, here are the following from top to bottom:

IMG_1279a.jpg

BUCK spine stamp (with scaler)
BUCK (with scaler)
BUCK* (with scaler)
BUCK USA
Buck 121 USA(tip down)
Buck 121 USA (Tip up)

After the BUCK USA, with the introduction of the tip down (1972) the thin blade disappeared.

My own opinion is that the thin blade was a fisherman's knife and the thick blade morphed into a hunting knife. Sure can fillet much easier with the thin blade.

Telechronos:):):)

Tele, Thats a great set of 121's you have . I had not seen a spine stamped 121 before .
Good photo work as well . Thanks for posting for our enjoyment . DM

Great knives! There is actually one other. After BUCK went to the BUCK USA stamp, they made a scaler for a short period of time.

Last edited:
For comparison and showing the grind changes in the 121s through time, here are the following from top to bottom:

IMG_1279a.jpg

BUCK spine stamp (with scaler)
BUCK (with scaler)
BUCK* (with scaler)
BUCK USA
Buck 121 USA(tip down)
Buck 121 USA (Tip up)

After the BUCK USA, with the introduction of the tip down (1972) the thin blade disappeared.

My own opinion is that the thin blade was a fisherman's knife and the thick blade morphed into a hunting knife. Sure can fillet much easier with the thin blade.

Telechronos:):):)
Mine is like the bottom one read with the tip up. It just looks like it has more upsweap blade though. But you knows when you are dealing with a rookie.Lol. I really appreciate all the courtesy help you guys give me. I read every post and most of the time learn something. I think that the thicker blade will make a fantastic boning knife. And here it is at Easter time, that ham don't stand a chance this year. LOL

WOW :eek::eek: Awesome collection of 121's Tele.

Thanks for posting them. Those early ones are REALLY cool.

Peter

HK, I didn't know that ! A three liner with scaler .
Tele, I checked and mine are like your bottom one . I didn't know those had thicker steel . Mine has some flex and are 1/16" thick not like a filleting knife but it works great for boning . Interesting . Thanks for the info.. DM

Now this is a heck of a good thread esp. if you like the 121.
Thanks for all the input guys particularily those who posted pictures. That is always a plus. gw

Back