The 2018 Fremont Jack has WEAK pull & is lazy from half stop to close

I may not be a perfectionist but my fremonts came in nearly perfect - call me lucky

I've only owned two northwoods but both were noticeably not as well finished as GEC knives.

Is the lazy snap due to the bolster being overtightened? this seems the issue with the whalers.

Mine had the lazy closing when I first got it. I flushed it with mineral oil and it didn't improve very much (and I didn't notice any metal coming out of it like I do on some GECs). I worked it a little more - 10 times maybe, and voila - it improved immensely, to the point that I really like where it is at now.

Now the closing snap is and opening pull is great.

I've worked on a few Northwoods, and they all have a softer action than most of the other GEC's. Usually a fatter spring, so maybe they soften the "spring" of the spring so it's a more smooth action?

Gee GEC having systematic quality problems, I must be in an alternative universe :)

Too bad there's no competition from Queen anymore, but then as we've been told many times by a few GEC fans, there has never been "true" competition.

If you have weak action and need to flush and work a new slipjoint, it shouldn't have cost ya more than $25.

Gee GEC having systematic quality problems, I must be in an alternative universe :)

Too bad there's no competition from Queen anymore, but then as we've been told many times by a few GEC fans, there has never been "true" competition.

If you have weak action and need to flush and work a new slipjoint, it shouldn't have cost ya more than $25.
I'm looking forward to someone, like yourself, purchasing Queen out of bankruptcy and starting production again.

I doubt Bill Howard is afraid of the competition.

I'm looking forward to someone, like yourself, purchasing Queen out of bankruptcy and starting production again.

I doubt Bill Howard is afraid of the competition.

What's that have to do with the weak action on the latest batch of Fremonts?

When I buy an old knife, the first thing I do is thoroughly flush it out with Brakleen. (Be sure to hold it at arm’s length - it’s highly pressured and when you spray the well, it shoots all over)
That gets rid of all the dried oil and grime. If there’s rust in the well, I use folded abrasive cloth and get it clean and shiny. I have also resorted to putting just enough penetrating oil to cover the joint in a cup, and standing the knife in it for a few days. Follow with another spray out, a thorough wipe out, and finally Nortons. If it’s at all sharp, wrap a rag around the blade and work it a lot.

I won’t comment on whether you should have to do that with a new knife, but I’ve never seen it not vastly improve the snap and W ‘n T, unless either the spring is simply worn out, or the contact area where the blade rides on the spring is shot.

What's that have to do with the weak action on the latest batch of Fremonts?
Action on latest batch of Fremonts is the same as previous runs of Fremonts, so there is no evidence of it being a quality issue, rather than it being a design decision by Derrick .

Although, my response was related specifically to his comment about competition from Queen.

As long as consumers are willing to accept "little nuances" in a product that occur regularly what incentive will the producer of said merchandise
have to stop sending out products like that?
These knives are hand built so obviously the people assembling them are aware of too tight pinning causing too stiff opening, weak springs too easy to open
& more importantly too easy to close, uneven grinds, dull blades, pins driven too deeply into cover material that there is barely any material supporting the
connection.
These are issues that posters here have repeatedly mentioned & yet still continue to purchase them.
Personally I have purchased about 20 GEC knives over the last 5 years, I still own 6. The rest I could not justify keeping with issues aforementioned
at that price point. Ditto Northwoods, bought 5 kept 1.
If these knives were mass produced by CNC machinery & issues In QC occurred because they only pull every 10th one or every 100th one for human
inspection it would be easier to understand defects being missed.
These knives are totally assembled & finished ,inspected & packaged by people,not machines. Why are they leaving the factory like this?

As long as consumers are willing to accept "little nuances" in a product that occur regularly what incentive will the producer of said merchandise
have to stop sending out products like that?
These knives are hand built so obviously the people assembling them are aware of too tight pinning causing too stiff opening, weak springs too easy to open
& more importantly too easy to close, uneven grinds, dull blades, pins driven too deeply into cover material that there is barely any material supporting the
connection.
These are issues that posters here have repeatedly mentioned & yet still continue to purchase them.
Personally I have purchased about 20 GEC knives over the last 5 years, I still own 6. The rest I could not justify keeping with issues aforementioned
at that price point. Ditto Northwoods, bought 5 kept 1.
If these knives were mass produced by CNC machinery & issues In QC occurred because they only pull every 10th one or every 100th one for human
inspection it would be easier to understand defects being missed.
These knives are totally assembled & finished ,inspected & packaged by people,not machines. Why are they leaving the factory like this?
Did you disclose those issues when you sold those GEC?

Did you disclose those issues when you sold those GEC?
About half of the ones I did not keep were returned to the dealer. The ones that were sold were truthfully described in the post with
photos from all sides. They were all NIT as received from the dealers, maybe I'm just too critical or just expect better when I pay for something.
You purchased one of them from Me, was it mis-represented or not what you expected?

About half of the ones I did not keep were returned to the dealer. The ones that were sold were truthfully described in the post with
photos from all sides. They were all NIT as received from the dealers, maybe I'm just too critical or just expect better when I pay for something.
You purchased one of them from Me, was it mis-represented or not what you expected?
I'm sure it met my expectations .

Last edited:
positive.png
Pleasure to do business with. Great communicator. A+++

I closed the thread so people don"t waste their time looking at something that is no longer available. Everything in that post was sold.Not trying to hide anything.
I see you edited your original statement.

Back