The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Picked off two large tomato horn worms from my tomatoes in the last two days. These are the big green caterpillars that eat the hell out of your tomato plants. They eat the vines, everything for the most part, and will also eat the fruit. I read that they will eat pepper plants too. Need to check them carefully. I still think there is one more of these critters on my tomato plants. They can be rather hard to see.

22-rimfire 22-rimfire

OK - don't know how these smallfiles will show the property- so pls let me know. Most of my pics are of the veg garden, the porch garden or the front lawn.

Here goes :D

PROPERTY LAYOUT DRAFT 1 LEGEND.JPG

PROPERTY LAYOUT DRAFT 1.JPG

Nasturtium seedlings in planters should soon be blooming - a hummer favourite. Portulaca is planted in several pots this year. Neither of these require much care or fertilizing - thrive on neglect - but nasturtiums do like more water.

DSCF5715 PLANTER NASTURTIUM HOLLYHOCK BEE BALM 650 MED.jpg

L in pic is a glimpse of the gladiolas planted in the 'new dig' that separates the lawn from the wild hill. The grass area under the planters will be replaced with 'something' that requires no cutting :thumbsup: ... perhaps like the landscape fabric and mulch work under the maple.

DSCF5709 PLANTERS NASTURTIUMS BEE BALM HOLLYHOCK LAWN 650 MED.jpg
DSCF5702 UNDER MAPLE LAWN OASIS 650 MED.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF5703 FRONT LAWN HOLLYHOCK MAPLE PLANTERS NASTURTIUM 650 MED.jpg
    DSCF5703 FRONT LAWN HOLLYHOCK MAPLE PLANTERS NASTURTIUM 650 MED.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 0
Begonias are loving the covered porch, sheltered from over-watering and harsh uv - same with ruby slipper coleus ...

DSCF5697 BEGONIA PORCH 650 MED.jpg

DSCF5700 BEGONIA COLEUS 650 MED.jpg

Garden along front of house has gaillardia and liatris, perennials planted last year ... plus lilies and daisies. Lots of zinnias are coming up from seed for later in the season.

DSCF5668 GAILLARDIA ARIZONA SUN 650 MED.jpg

DSCF5694 LIATRIS 650 MED.jpg

22-rimfire 22-rimfire

OK - don't know how these smallfiles will show the property- so pls let me know. Most of my pics are of the veg garden, the porch garden or the front lawn.

Here goes :D

View attachment 1155967

View attachment 1155968
That's pretty dang good!! I congratulate you on your effort. It was the positioning of the different features you mention that I couldn't picture in my mind relative to the whole. So, where is the tree with boxes? I assume it is next to your house.

Looked at the drawing again. The Maple Tree is in the front or the below the house relative to the drawing. I had envisioned it in the back yard....

Last edited:
Are these the same as yours ?
I think they are the same. I saw them in one of your posts last summer as well - purple spikes make a great statement along your fence line. Liatris is the name on the package I planted as bulbs last summer. I am very pleased with them.

That's pretty dang good!! I congratulate you on your effort. It was the positioning of the different features you mention that I couldn't picture in my mind relative to the whole. So, where is the tree with boxes? I assume it is next to your house.

Looked at the drawing again. The Maple Tree is in the front or the below the house relative to the drawing. I had envisioned it in the back yard....

Thanks ... quite hot here (for here :D) and a little screen time seemed like a cool idea - screen snip of a Word doc.

I've never seen bee balm nod over with the dry and heat before today ... it's generally so resistant. It enjoyed a good drink and is now upright and happy. I've had to keep all the seedlings watered or lose them too. Some relief from the heat is due tomorrow. Annual seeds are so much easier to start over the perennial seeds I find.

Added: pic of house may help to orient as well ... life outside revolves around the shade of the maple in summer. Red of plain old petunias in the boulder garden will be echoed by the bee balm in about a week or so.

DSCF5704 HOUSE FRONT LAWN BEE BALM HOLLYHOCK BOULDER  650 MED.jpg

Last edited:
The area has been getting scattered thunder showers, but all are missing us except for a few rain drops (so far). We could use a 1 inch rain about now. (Normal here is about an inch of rain per week on average.) It is hot here too (94 d F today). Been watering the garden and various flower beds. I resist watering the yard. Stuff is showing wilting here too with the heat.

Had more fried zucchini yesterday. For me it is a wonderful break from the routine meals and fresh from the garden as well. Tomatoes continue to produce although the Patio variety are just about at the end of their productive cycle. They are on the deck in containers and not liking the full sun and heat.

My first red pepper is just about ready to pick. Red not a green bell pepper.

Showed my next door neighbor the self watering container that Legion uses. Her grand daughter has been trying to grow stuff and she liked the idea of these shallow containers for smaller veggies. She is going to buy one as a present for her.

Last edited:
Flags out for the 4th of July weekend.

medium800.jpg

Lots of flash, dazzle and drama in the birdbaths under the maple tree this afternoon ... zoom through kitchen window and cropped

DSCF5818 PURPLE FINCH BIRD BATH 650 MED.jpg

DSCF5807 GOLDFINCH JUVENILE IN BIRD BATH 650 MED.jpg

I'm out of here ...

DSCF5808 GOLDFINCH JUVENILE BIRD BATH 650 MED.jpg

OK by me ... :D

DSCF5812 BIRD BATHING 650 MED.jpg

I can't say that the porch, with its worn canopy, looks classy from the outside, but I sure love to walk into that greenhouse atmosphere with the sound of falling water from the fountain and the diffuse sunlight. The 'white' canopy extension is actually a clear polyethylene tarp with grid reinforcing that can be lowered for more sunlight or raised to protect from uv and rain. The scarlet runner green beans are just starting to climb the jute lines on the outside of the extension - shade through August with luck.

DSCF5739 PORCH COLEUS BEGONIAS GREENHOUSE TARP 650 MED.jpg

View through the kitchen window towards the road in the distance. I have gaillardia (described as a compact plant!) and shasta daisies from seeding last year that may prove to be too tall for the under window gardens by the house. Bench sits on the mowed 'lawn' - to be contrasted with the wild hill on the East, lit up by the morning sun.

DSCF5756 BENCH WILD HILL BEE BALM GAILLARDIA 650 MED.jpg

DSCF5772 GAILLARDIA SINGLE 650 MED.jpg

Wild hill is actually chocked full of beautiful flowers too ...

DSCF5786 WILDFLOWERS TWO 650 MED.jpg

Last evening I got my rain wish.... we had a thunderstorm that last about 1.5 hrs and it dumped about 2 inches of rain. Today, I can see the lawn sprouting new growth all over the place. The rain was sorely needed. So, we're good for another couple of weeks if necessary.

These thunder showers are very localized. You might move a half mile and there is no rain. So, my yard finally got hit with one of these showers. Here I thought I wouldn't have to mow for another week or so....;)

Back