1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 50 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

The 2019 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by eisman, Jan 13, 2019.

1. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I still look at seed catalogs, but don't buy as often from them like I did as a kid.

I see at least one possum every night in my back yard and one or two raccoons every few nights. The raccoons used to climb the one hickory tree and pull up my sunflower feeder to them (on a chain), spill, and eat to their hearts delight. I moved that feeder to one of those rod iron posts (84" tall) that you can buy. The new feeder is also hanging from one of those and just a bit too high for the cats to swat birds off it jumping up. They're still interested and lay in wait for birds to visit the feeder, but they can't reach them unless the birds get on the ground beneath the feeder. Squirrels also can't climb these posts. We have lots of grey squirrels. If I knew a blacksmith locally, I would have them make me a couple of those posts that are taller than 84 inches.

When I had dial up internet service, I never visited the forums and truly only discovered them or the variety of forums available after getting faster internet speeds. With dial up, loading pictures was such a slow affair and with many internet sites having motion now, it really uses up the band width. The only thing I used the internet for before DSL service was email. It won't long before the hard-wired in cable internet will be a thing of the past with the 5G technology that has been developed and starting to spread. It will be a couple years before it's common place. I read that 5G requires closer tower spacing....?

I am very comfortable with the resultant size on the downsized images. I don't think the downsized images are compressed here except for the ones that you see the "click to enlarge". With downsizing pictures, I don't think it's compression so much as a thinning of the pixel density. Not an expert on this particularly. The other good thing about reduced size is that it lessens the "fear" of people "stealing" your photos, calling them their own, and potentially using them for re-sale. Photography is a hobby for me, but I do not like people pirating images off the web for profit.

taldesta likes this.
  2. annr

annr Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 15, 2006
    You are very kind. I can't brag about much, but I have been told by world travelers that the bread is second to none.;)

You are right about the hummus texture; it wants to be hard and lumpy. As I mentioned, I do not cook with oil (which can make things creamier), so we tried a few things to get the hummus smooth.
    Adding tahini (oily, fatty) helps, as do: vegetable broth, and starting with softer beans. Softer beans are a function of soaking/cooking time, etc., and depending, sometimes the canned beans are the softest.

The other thing that matters--and may matter most-- is using a food processor.

I'll get you that recipe.:)

taldesta likes this.
  3. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Is that a Japanese Maple that you planted in your new area? (left side of picture) The landscaping is quite neat looking.

4. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Camera topic: I received the used camera body via UPS. Basic functions seem to work except for retaining the year and date in memory. (This is all I am aware of to this point.) The internal battery which saves such things seems to be exhausted but is supposed to be rechargeable. The charging aspect has not happened yet... It appears to have about 2-3x the images taken versus my old camera, but still under 10K shutter clicks. I guess I should have expected some functions that I depend on not to work with this camera..... I tend to take most of my pictures on either "auto" when just walking around, and Aperture priority settings (semi-auto) for most things. Haven't decided if I am going to keep it or send it back, but I am leaning toward keeping it and just dealing with the date thing. I technically could set things for the day but I would have to leave my camera "On" all the time to retain the settings. My normal approach has always been to save battery by turning the camera off when not being used. I have extra batteries, so I could do this if I want to.

It seems to take okay pictures based on some shots around the house. There are more settings on this camera than I am used to. Haven't headed to the woods yet. I simply have not gone through my basic function checks to this point. Hopefully I will make it this week. The whitetail deer rut period is typically a very high picture taking period. The early rut is probably going on and the later rut is in late November/December.
    We had our first hard freeze (29*F) on Saturday morning (November 9th) at the house. Had ice on the bird baths. The mountain areas probably froze about a week ago. The freeze pretty much took out all the more sensitive flowers and plants such as tomatoes that were not protected as is normal. Tis okay. I'm ready to move on. I have been bringing my celery indoors at night for the last week when temps get down below 35*F. I have a lot of stuff indoors right now and it is all a disorganized mess of plants. I have lots of amaryllis in pots; they stay outside during the warmer season to grow. Now they are inside and there are a lot of them. Only bought one new variety for this winter. There are just too many. I have gifted a few. Stuff on the front porch (mostly geraniums) are still blooming and alive.

Making these minimal additions since nobody else has posted in the thread since me.

Added 11/13/19: We had a low of 24*F and everything froze on my front porch. Things are protected enough for maybe 28*F, but not a chilly 24*F. I've saved the celery, but that's it. If it doesn't warm up a bit in a few days, I'll harvest whatever celery stalks are there and stick the rest outdoors to live or die with the temperatures. Pansies are all planted and we'll see how the newer plants do. The red beets, broccoli, and cauliflower plants are still growing as far as I know in the garden for now. So, we move into the winter phase of the garden and not much is likely to happen. The leaves are dropping fast since the big freeze.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    taldesta likes this.
  5. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Tried out the new camera body Friday (yesterday) in Cades Cove, Smoky Mountains NP. Seems to do okay. Here are a couple pictures. (No photo shopping, just resized.) I believe this is the same mama bear as I took a picture of two weeks ago. She got pretty close to me. She crossed the road and then the two cubs came charging out and all three took off running across a field to a different part of the woods.
    DSC08932ed.jpg
    This other picture below, I just like.... sort of a winter scape with no snow. Once most of the green is gone in the woods, a little green pulls the eye and I guess the camera. It is sort of a still photo... woods garden versus home garden.
    DSC08954ed.jpg
    There was some snow in the upper elevations. It has been there for a couple days.

My sister has a saying.... "Any day in Cades Cove is a better than a day anywhere else." We both really love that area.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    annr likes this.
  6. taldesta

taldesta Retired :-) Time is the Gold Platinum Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Now, that black bear mom is padded to overwinter - do they hibernate in TN? Alert. Ears listen in all directions. When folks feed these carnivores in stupidity, they have never looked in their eyes (as you have captured so well here) to see that mercy is not a thought in the brain pan.

I love bears and respect their animal power, I've camped across 23 states and across Canada twice, never seen the hunger of a bear close to me and can only credit understanding and avoidance. Mostly avoidance.

They do ask 'What is a tent to a bear?' Gift wrap! Well, in truth, they are survivors and we need to know this. We are the problem.

Wow! The look in that bear's eyes tells much. Don't threaten my cubs, don't get in my way. The eyes are the telling part of this pic to me.

So glad the camera is working out. The illuminated greens like mosses and hard weather foliage in fall are so worthy. Of notice and of pics.

annr likes this.
  7. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    @taldesta Black bears do hibernate in Tennessee. But there are reports of sightings pretty much every month in Smoky Mt NP. So, I suspect they might get out of their cave or tree hidey spot and forage for food occasionally if the weather warms up. It is still a little early for them to go into hibernation here. I have never seen a black bear there between December > February.

This used camera is a little different and seems to be more sensitive to light. Going to have to get used to it. I think when I take a picture and I immediately see bright light on the image that flashes up (over exposure), I need to take another shot and try harder. I almost never look at images on my camera until I download them to a computer. So, in a sense, it's like shooting with film and making mistakes. I got so used to 35mm film that I really seldom made many true mistakes unless I'm trying some less common technique. I need to spend more time taking less common images with digital cameras as I know it's possible, but I seldom do it.

8. taldesta

Jan 24, 2013
    I know I should dig up the manual for the camera I am using now (so many choices on it compared to my last one :eek:), but I am lulled with the auto features and just let my 'fingers do the walking' With the exposure thing, I find that if I depress the button part way to let the camera take its light and focus readings from a lighter portion of the subject matter then, maintaining the settings (keeping button part depressed), adjust the composition to what I want, the camera solves the overexposure issue for me. This winter I'll find time to learn more about this camera - an old one and heavy, but does the job and can apparently survive being dropped to the bottom of the canoe without causing me much guilt.

Sorry I am unable to post pics of snow that's definitely here to stay. Membership lapsed. No advance notice or I would have taken care of it earlier. Since I'm not using Paypal on dialup, I must use a bank draft. One trip to town to find that bank won't do a bank draft for the US without a mailing address, plus I would need to mail it anyway. Neither I nor the bank could locate a mailing address online so I will have to bug Spark again. Hate to bug such a busy guy. Oops - maybe this post should go into the 'What Bugs You' thread :p Or perhaps someone could point me to a mailing address on this site that I've been too blind to find? That's certainly possible.

9. annr

Nov 15, 2006
    @taldesta this sounds like a good query for the tech support section. We do need (medically need:p) to see this snow of which you speak.

I don’t know what kind of calendar(s) you use, but I mark mine with a reminder starting about a month out so I have time to execute. (Brought to you by “tricks of the feeble minded.”)

10. LEGION 12

LEGION 12 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Address is under ground rules . https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...m-20th-anniversary-year-of-giveaways.1695823/

11. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I read in the Becker Forum that a Gold membership is not necessary to post pictures directly any more. Haven't tried it yet, but you can give it a try.

I resist using Pay Pal also.

One of these days I need to create an avatar.

12. taldesta

Jan 24, 2013
    Retiree's special - flip phone :D calendar.
    ... and multi-year membership if I have the dough and am confident in the moment I won't expire before the membership does. Actually, I find it not only suits my technology lapse but encourages me to put one foot in front of the other, day after day, year after year ... in the snow! :p

13. taldesta

Jan 24, 2013
  14. annr

Nov 15, 2006
    I won’t knock the flip phone as I am also a user—sorta—I turn it on about once a week to check the battery. (I don’t know the number without looking!)

I use the double entry system: paper on wall, electronic through computer app.

Hey, if your programme keeps you out of trouble and upright, I’d say you’ve got something.

15. taldesta

Jan 24, 2013
    There's no option showing to upload file under my present status, not even under 'more options' - and ads may just put me on hold for a while.

Re: Avatar - for sure. Try that bear face. Square crop, May need to snap the contrast or lighten it a bit to go small. BF sizes at 90 x 90 pixels but mine are 120 x 120 and the forum re-sizes them I think. Right click other avatars and check properties for sizes if in doubt and also I am sure the avatar requirements are posted when you explore adding one.

Yeah - good luck with it.

16. taldesta

Jan 24, 2013

Upright is the goal - out of trouble, not as likely :eek:

annr likes this.
  17. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I will play around with it and consider other possibles too. I can always change it if I decide I don't care for it.

Added: What do you think of the avatar? :D I hope I didn't violate any copyright laws as it is a piece of a cartoon I found.

I down loaded the manufacturer's user manual for this camera. So, I have it on my pooter if I need to refer to it and I will. I am a big fan of the books done by David Busch on specific camera models. There is a great deal of similarity between them, but they are still camera specific. I may have to order one for this particular camera model. I have one for each of my previous DSLR cameras.

The fact that your gold membership lapsed answered a question of mine on old postings.... your photos are still there. That's good.

18. LEGION 12

LEGION 12 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    You can use a photo hosting site Photobucket or Imgur than just copy and paste your pics .

19. taldesta

Jan 24, 2013
    @22-rimfire Ha! Avatar - good stuff - smiling, colourful, fun. Glad you went for it.

Copyright - no lawyer here but you're not making $ off it, that is it is personal use ... and there are forum members who seem to do this without difficulty.

So, my slate hasn't been wiped clean; that's :cool:

20. taldesta

Jan 24, 2013
    Suggestion appreciated ... I'm recalling my Photobucket posts over dialup and, if I have an image that truly needs to see the light of day here, I'll do it.