The 2020 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by annr, Jan 19, 2020.

1. LEGION 12

LEGION 12 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2009
    [​IMG]

annr likes this.
  2. taldesta

taldesta Retired :-) Time is the Gold Platinum Member

Jan 24, 2013
  3. LEGION 12

Jan 8, 2009
    Growing corn has been interesting , ears are starting to show . [​IMG]

JB in SC, taldesta and 22-rimfire like this.
  4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Those styles (silks) on the ears are kind of pretty and might make an pleasing closeup picture. I honestly had to look up the correct terminology for those silky hairs on the ears.

5. LEGION 12

Jan 8, 2009
    The one's in the raised bed are doing even better get a pic up later .

6. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I have to chuckle about this. My sister also really enjoys Cades Cove, but they are 500 miles away. Anyway, she and her husband saw my bear pics with black berries and she texted me last night that they made the trip.... I don't think they planned this and it was a spur of the moment decision. The timing is all about the black berries ripening. I'll probably spend a day with them puttering around there later this week. It is always fun, but the covid-19 thing has made me ride in a different vehicle than them for safety's sake. Cases are increasing in a lot of southern states now.

My older brother took some beautiful Pink Lady's Slipper pictures earlier in PA and I was VERY tempted to make the drive to hit that spot. He said there were about 100 plants in bloom at the time. So, I understand the urge to do things like this.

Added 7/8/20: As it turns out, my Sister made the trip instead of a Rocky Mountain NP visit (and a visit with her oldest) because of recent covid-19 infections there. So, it may have seemed spur of the moment to me, but they were headed West (first by air, and then when all that got canceled, then by car.... with recent news of covid infections changing that).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    taldesta likes this.
  7. LEGION 12

Jan 8, 2009
    Corn in the raised bed planted 2 week after the one's in the ground growing much faster . [​IMG]

8. taldesta

Jan 24, 2013
    All this corn reminds me of "Field of Dreams" - if you build it, they will come :)

DSCF9916 NASTURTIUMS BENCH  BEE BALM GLADS 650 MED.jpg

DSCF9881 HUMMINGBIRD MALE BEE BALM 650 MED.jpg

That sense you get in your garden that you are never alone can be very true. I was trying for a picture of these delicate pansies, backlit by the morning sun. What surprised me, stretched out on the planter and hidden in the shade, was one of the ever present squirrels. They all lay about like this, dangling their feet, just relaxing it seems ...

DSCF9936 PANSIES BIRDBATH OASIS SQUIRREL LOLLS 650 MED.jpg

DSCF9938 SQUIRREL LOLLS PANSIES 650 MED.jpg

The gravity drip attracts the critters and especially the birds to the rock birdbath, but it was originally set to fall from too high and made too much of a splash. I dug out one of my salamander drip waterers ... nice, calm ripples

DSCF9869 SALAMANDER BIRDBATH RIPPLE 650 MED.jpg

Attached Files:

annr and LEGION 12 like this.
  9. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I pretty much believed that with hummingbirds and feeders.... until this year. It's July and I still have not seen a hummer in my yard this year. I gave up placing out fresh nectar about a month ago.

10. JB in SC

JB in SC Basic Member Basic Member

May 19, 2001
    I haven’t seen any in the neighborhood this year, must be a migrational thing.

11. annr

annr

Nov 15, 2006
    Read online (must be true) that these critters do not like the smell of ground coffee. I'm experimenting with this, and so far, no thievery.
    And you bring me back to my time in GA: those pecan trees outside my school. Yum.:)

JB in SC likes this.
  12. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
    @annr

I’m a native Georgian. I spent several years in the Southwest part of the state...pecans were a way of life there. I’m sure it’s not like it was fifty years ago.

annr likes this.
  13. annr

annr

Nov 15, 2006
    Then you would know the Columbus, GA area and reason people went there. ;) I'm referring to the mid '60's.:D And finding edible nuts on the ground was like a gift from heaven to a young child.

I've only been back to Atlanta a dozen or more years ago to visit family affiliated with "the Harvard of the South." (Emory for those who don't know the joke.) Seems everything is quite different!

taldesta and JB in SC like this.
  14. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
    I lived forty miles from Albany, pecans were everywhere.

From Ellaville to Albany the roads were lined with groves in the 60’s.

We lived in Columbus in the mid seventies (work not Army). We enjoyed it for the most part no school age children though.

Atlanta....I do not miss it.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  15. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Atlanta has really changed since the 70's. I hate just driving through now and I am almost always going straight through on I-75.

16. taldesta

Jan 24, 2013
    Lately I've spotted a few female hummers sampling the bee balm but I won't expect them to hang around at leisure until they can bring the kids along. Up until now, they've been just too busy.

The sunflower feeders have been inundated with goldfinches and purple finches, rose breasted grosbeaks, nuthatches - for a long time. The seeds are a staple on my grocery list :). Chickadees are either busy like the hummers or they headed North because I am just not hearing or seeing them but rarely.

Now the grackles - I love these big black birds with their purple iridescence and golden eyes, the way they strut and cackle. But, when they bring the kids and all the relatives they are so persistent, bold and ravenous that I shoo them away. Not easy, they are very crow like, smart and they watch for opportunities. They start on the ground but do try to perch on the feeders although they don't like the footing afforded on the feeders at all. They just try to knock seeds out for the rest waiting on the ground, including the young ones. The whole fam damily :D

17. taldesta

Jan 24, 2013
    Hummingbird candy - many shades of nasturtiums now blooming

DSCF0020 NASTURTIUM THREE SHADES 650 MED.jpg

Pansies & nasturtiums (both thriving now that maple shields them from the afternoon uv), bee balm

DSCF9993 PANSY NASTURTIUM BEE BALM 650 MED.jpg

annr likes this.
  18. taldesta

Jan 24, 2013
    Yarrow - between bee balm and petunia rows. The blooms turn lackluster when done and have been deadheaded. Without the weight, the remaining stocks stand more upright and will put up a lot more blooms (I've learned). Interesting perennial. I weed to keep the wild ones out of the gardens! What you see here is 1/2 my actual crescent shaped lawn. I am using my old electric mower now but am eyeing a battery powered for future. The rest of the flat areas are done with the riding mower. When I keep the wild from seeding into the gardens by using the battery trimmer, that's success :thumbsup:

DSCF0056 MAPLE BEE BALM YARD 650 MED.jpg

Dwarf bee balm is a perennial I am considering for this area behind the petunia row as well - compact, mounding shape - maybe 18" high, fair colour, lots of blooms.

DSCF9970 DWARF BEE BALM 650 MED.jpg

Jester's hat bloom of dwarf emerging, compared with Jacob Cline (tall variety)

DSCF0042 DWARF BEE BALM FLOWER 650 MED.jpg

Tall

DSCF9983 BEE BALM FLOWER 650 MED.jpg

Pumpkins from seed - don't know what possessed me :eek:. Sweet Pea on trellises in background.

DSCF0048 PUMPKIN SWEET PEA 650 MED.jpg

annr and JB in SC like this.
  19. annr

annr

Nov 15, 2006
    @JB in SC
    Good thing you didn't have school age kids. Public schools there stunk! IMO. Rode a bus 1 hour each way to different school after refusing to go to local school--in spite of the pecans!

Back to gardening: Fuqua Orchid Center in Atlanta is amazing! (part of Atlanta Botanical Garden) Ever visit?

20. JB in SC

May 19, 2001
    It’s been five or six years ago at least. I'm not going back anytime soon, traffic is worse than awful now.

We go to Biltmore Estate a few times a year. The traffic isn't as bad and the food is fantastic. It's a beautiful place at Christmas.