The 2020 Garden, Landscape, and Other Stuff Thread...

I am mostly a day hike guy. I suspect I never see the best spots in the Smokies. But to be quite honest about hiking, I need something other than trudging through miles of open woods to keep my interest up and motivate me to hike.

I go for the coffee.

Just read the above and I am going for it. I think ...

The modem of the month club?:p

Love those non-choices. :mad: Can't win with this stuff. I use Adobe Creative Cloud (monthly fee) :(, but I do get some "sexy" documents and layouts. FWIW, it updates way too often for my needs, and I find it very unstable compared to older versions, e.g., CS4. Just wrote them some "constructive criticism" on my latest crash report. I gave up on wireless mouses and keyboards, the ergos stink for me! What a racket.

Good luck!!

Am at Laundromat wifi because library closed (covid 19). Checked out new computer, windows 10 last week - good price and - wow - with dialup internal modem! Went in to look it over and ask more questions today and would have walked out happily with it ... except that it is clear that windows 10 requires constant updating (otherwise it will corrupt) which brings dialup into the question. High speed? This would be a costly undertaking, and likely result in a lot more screen time. Also I am told my MS professional suite won't work on w10, nor will my (new to me ancient monitor) plug into a new one. So 1) I could buy laptop, monitor and software and trip to wifi regularly to update or 2) buy external modems with built-in obsolescence in bulk until they don't exist or I reach my expiration date ... whichever comes first :D

Good news is that (I am told :rolleyes:) my Bluetooth and wireless usb connections for keyboard ad mouse should work in new laptop? Whew ...

Looks like computers are evolving like printers. Priced to ease the sale, hit 'em hard with ink ... aka accessories!

Just read the above and I am going for it. I think ...
Since you move around a bit with the connections, I'd go 15" laptop. Believe you can still buy the student version of MS Office which includes Word, Excel and Powerpoint. I believe it runs around $100-$150. Those three programs are the only MS Office programs I use.

Covid-19: Stay safe.

Last edited:
Picked up some selected herbs at the garden center yesterday. Included in that bunch was one catnip for my cats..... I placed all of these little pots out on my deck as it was warm and my damn cats found that catnip within 30 minutes and destroyed it. Will have to buy a couple more.... Oh well. ;)

I picked up two potted tomato plants for container growing (Patio and Goliath varieties). Not planting them just yet, but I can keep them as easily as the garden center going until I'm ready to plant. My onions (from sets) are growing in a container. They are pretty thick or about 2 inches apart. They will need thinned through use over the next month or so as they get larger.

It is definitely grass mowing time here especially for folks like me that have fescue.

Seeing my first tulips blooming now. There is no doubt, Spring has definitely sprung.

Last edited:
Haha 22-rimfire. I went through the greenhouse the other day looking for edibles that I could pot up that I believe will be bigger sellers at the Farmer's market. There were two trays of Catnip headed to the compost pile. That stuff never sells but I grabbed it and potted into 4" pots. I bet it sells at farmers market to all those social distancing and sitting around watching the cats.

I'm pissed that I can't get any Cholesterol Spinach into pots. They "accidentally" threw away two trays of that. Same with Sweet Potato Beauregard. Geez I bet a baby sweet potato plant would be a hot item at the farmer's market right now. If you are on lockdown gardening and growing some food might be a good activity.

This is an old photograph that I took at Longwood Gardens years ago.

conservatory-1%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

This is an old photograph that I took at Longwood Gardens years ago.

conservatory-1%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg
Good to see you here and posting some of your amazing photographs. This is a pretty friendly thread (and flexible on subject matter to a degree). I pretty much gave up posting stuff over in the photography forum for the most part. Reason > No feed back and I like constructive feedback.

Old photo.... as in film days? If so, how do you convert your film images digitally at a higher pixel level?

Last edited:
Haha 22-rimfire. I went through the greenhouse the other day looking for edibles that I could pot up that I believe will be bigger sellers at the Farmer's market. There were two trays of Catnip headed to the compost pile. That stuff never sells but I grabbed it and potted into 4" pots. I bet it sells at farmers market to all those social distancing and sitting around watching the cats.
Catnip does seem to sit a while before it sells. I hope your stuff sells. I have never visited a Farmers Market looking for garden plants. Saw a herb called "Catmint" which I never heard of yesterday. I may have just ignored it before? I bought two more little pots of catnip and left them inside the bed of my pickup thinking the cats won't find them there. :D Our local Ace Hardware generally has a big garden center spread and product is coming in rapidly now. There are real nurseries locally which I visit, but Ace is real close to where I live and I seem to visit that store a couple times a week regardless. My nursery-man brother in law HATES to see the big name container grown trees and shrubs (like Monrovia) at places like Ace, Lowes and Home Depot.... says it hurts the market. Middle TN is a very big nursery area like CA, WA, and OR.

I was looking for celery plants, but not successful (yet).

My wife mentioned that her 84 year old aunt bought a bunch of bird seed. My wife couldn't picture her lugging the bags. I told her that she probably loves watching the birds in her yard (in NC) and I understand perfectly. I just bought a 50 lb bag of black oil sunflower seeds which will do me a good while. I was just about out.

Last edited:
The modem of the month club?:p

Love those non-choices. :mad: Can't win with this stuff. I use Adobe Creative Cloud (monthly fee) :(, but I do get some "sexy" documents and layouts. FWIW, it updates way too often for my needs, and I find it very unstable compared to older versions, e.g., CS4. Just wrote them some "constructive criticism" on my latest crash report. I gave up on wireless mouses and keyboards, the ergos stink for me! What a racket.

Good luck!!

Dez and I are at Tim's wifi in parking lot working off of inverter (battery died years ago :D) from cig plug in van ... clearly I have checked out other options and decided to stay, for now, with my dependable computer and software I love and am accustomed to. This leaves me with installing wifi at the house! Yes, finally. Now waiting for installer of dish to call to make arrangements - No one is in a hurry for business it seems - likely the pandemic.

At home I would often see the wifi signal from a property on the other side of the river. Their nickname gave me the clue to their lastname so I phoned them and got a good reference for a service provider.

Hope all well. Stay safe.

Since you move around a bit with the connections, I'd go 15" laptop. Believe you can still buy the student version of MS Office which includes Word, Excel and Powerpoint. I believe it runs around $100-$150. Those three programs are the only MS Office programs I use.

Covid-19: Stay safe.

Yes I've priced the software and it is $319 for outright purchase for part of what I want but can be purchased yearly for less. Then the computer, even if 15" - I will consider for when it may be necessary - that is if mine dies outright :eek:. Meanwhile I won't deal with updates and installations AND just think of the joy of 5mbs compared to 'say' 38kbs. You have been right about high speed for sure. I'll have it for current or future system. A good solution for now and onward.

Staying safe - social distancing in van :D. Stay safe there.

Dez and I are at Tim's wifi in parking lot working off of inverter (battery died years ago :D) from cig plug in van ... clearly I have checked out other options and decided to stay, for now, with my dependable computer and software I love and am accustomed to. This leaves me with installing wifi at the house! Yes, finally. Now waiting for installer of dish to call to make arrangements - No one is in a hurry for business it seems - likely the pandemic.

At home I would often see the wifi signal from a property on the other side of the river. Their nickname gave me the clue to their lastname so I phoned them and got a good reference for a service provider.

Hope all well. Stay safe.
This sounds excellent! I keep my old computer aside the new one for same reasons. Definitely worth a shot with the dish. I held out on dialup—but haven’t looked back.

Stay well yourselves.

Seed order arrived and I've planted 6 @ of 4 varieties of tomatoes - so I'll have a number to share with friends. Other seeds on the go include nasturtiums and those capsuled seeds for the hummingbird mix, the bell peppers and even more tomatoes. So many trays, so little space! So many seed packs needing a place in the dirt :)

taldesta taldesta The updates are generally due to software bugs or hacker attacks. Folks that use wifi and leave their computer on a lot of the time leave an open door for hackers as the connection is always there to potentially exploit. I'm still using several computers with Windows 7 on them. I know I should upgrade, but I'm hesitant to do so as everything works.

Space is my general problem with starting annuals from seed. But I know it's fun and more rewarding to grow your own. It has been really warm here.... makes you wonder if the last frost is past (weeks early)?

Added 3/21/20: Retailers are already selling potted tomato plants here as well as early shipments of all the usual annual flowers. I picked up a couple geraniums today for the front porch.

Last edited:
Catnip does seem to sit a while before it sells. I hope your stuff sells. I have never visited a Farmers Market looking for garden plants. Saw a herb called "Catmint" which I never heard of yesterday. I may have just ignored it before? I bought two more little pots of catnip and left them inside the bed of my pickup thinking the cats won't find them there. :D Our local Ace Hardware generally has a big garden center spread and product is coming in rapidly now. There are real nurseries locally which I visit, but Ace is real close to where I live and I seem to visit that store a couple times a week regardless. My nursery-man brother in law HATES to see the big name container grown trees and shrubs (like Monrovia) at places like Ace, Lowes and Home Depot.... says it hurts the market. Middle TN is a very big nursery area like CA, WA, and OR.

I was looking for celery plants, but not successful (yet).

My wife mentioned that her 84 year old aunt bought a bunch of bird seed. My wife couldn't picture her lugging the bags. I told her that she probably loves watching the birds in her yard (in NC) and I understand perfectly. I just bought a 50 lb bag of black oil sunflower seeds which will do me a good while. I was just about out.

Interesting how the nursery industry sits in certain "pockets." How do you suppose that happens? I think somebody started something and was successful. Growing plants is not too easy but it might look easy. Not too much expensive equipment required, no advanced degrees or licenses, so the family, friends, neighbors, and ex employees of the successful guy start doing it and suddenly you have a center like McMinnville, TN, Apopka FL, Homestead, FL or Forest Hills, LA. My wife simply liked growing plants and wanted to stay home with the children so first thing you know she was selling plants. Next before much time passed she hired me and I steady built greenhouses for a number of years. Various ex employees and neighbors have tried to copy us mostly with poor results.

Watching over my citrus trees, looking for some lizards!

View attachment 1306353
I was out watching over my cows goats and chickens myself. With the Corona virus shutting everything down I'm not sure how long we can keep the nursery rolling. It takes staff every day to keep everything watered and growing. We have orders to fill but if garden centers start closing for social distancing it could get real ugly real fast. Since you are in Jax you might hit me up for some plants. I hate to see a plant die (go to waste) but if staff can't come in or be paid, thousands of plants face death in a couple of days.

Interesting how the nursery industry sits in certain "pockets." How do you suppose that happens? I think somebody started something and was successful. Growing plants is not too easy but it might look easy. Not too much expensive equipment required, no advanced degrees or licenses, so the family, friends, neighbors, and ex employees of the successful guy start doing it and suddenly you have a center like McMinnville, TN, Apopka FL, Homestead, FL or Forest Hills, LA. My wife simply liked growing plants and wanted to stay home with the children so first thing you know she was selling plants. Next before much time passed she hired me and I steady built greenhouses for a number of years. Various ex employees and neighbors have tried to copy us mostly with poor results.
There is one grower/nurseryman near Winchester TN (not far from McMinnville) that I have hunted on his properties. He has lots of exotic animals on his various farms. You are probably familiar with him and I believe he was one of the first in the area and was very successful with essentially a national business. I know it takes a lot of employees to maintain things especially in greenhouses. Do you do orchids?

There is one grower/nurseryman near Winchester TN (not far from McMinnville) that I have hunted on his properties. He has lots of exotic animals on his various farms. You are probably familiar with him and I believe he was one of the first in the area and was very successful with essentially a national business. I know it takes a lot of employees to maintain things especially in greenhouses. Do you do orchids?
My wife and my son keep a few orchids but we don't do any commercially. Take a peek at www.robrick.com to get a sense of what we do.

taldesta taldesta The updates are generally due to software bugs or hacker attacks. Folks that use wifi and leave their computer on a lot of the time leave an open door for hackers as the connection is always there to potentially exploit. I'm still using several computers with Windows 7 on them. I know I should upgrade, but I'm hesitant to do so as everything works.

Space is my general problem with starting annuals from seed. But I know it's fun and more rewarding to grow your own. It has been really warm here.... makes you wonder if the last frost is past (weeks early)?

Added 3/21/20: Retailers are already selling potted tomato plants here as well as early shipments of all the usual annual flowers. I picked up a couple geraniums today for the front porch.

Snow here down a little more than a couple of feet here as shown against stacked planters (2x24") for comparison. Pic taken on 21st. But I am in van outside Laundromat (physically distancing) catching wifi rays :D watching the snowfall! It could accumulate.

DSCF8614 PLANTER SNOW 650 MED.jpg

Nobody has made contact re the installation of a dish since I ordered the service last Thu. I may be doing these wifi/grocery runs for the duration.

Keep the sunny warm news from the South coming ... meanwhile I am spackling, painting - no more procrastinating :rolleyes:

Back