The 3 1/2" EDC Share

You've outdone yourself once again, Jerry. Not only is this an amazing thing to share, but that data table is outstanding as well. Thanks for contributing so much information for all of us.

Orion, I have a feeling you are gonna have a lot of fun with this. I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

I have the same feeling! Sort of still overwhelmed, we'll see how I feel once the knives show up.

Here we go again! Fantastic stuff, Jerry. There really is nothing quite like the opportunity you so generously afforded me, and now Odaon.
thumbup1.gif~original

Of your newer arrivals, the EDU intrigues me, especially with Chris's maniacally tapered 3/32"! :D

"Female input" is also an interest close to my heart living with four of them every day. Any chance for input on the Fiddleback/WAS/Osprey knives from a female perspective would help provide input for the Makers to consider. Who knows, Orion's Girlfriend may NOT have a persnickety pinky. hahahaahahaha, shout out to Sarah!

takeabow.gif~original

The whole "female input" thing perplexes me, honestly. But then, I'm already 'here.' ;)

Preferences already vary so wildly among the men (the predominant market/enthusiast demographic), including regarding handle material. If a woman wants a knife, she'll want the knife, with or without tweaks based on her own (projected) use, while seeking out handle material to her liking-- just as every man does.

"Women who love knives" are clearly smaller in number than the male contingency, but I'm not sure how much can or should be generalized from any one of our preferences. It comes down to what catches one's eye, intended uses, and how well it carries in one's day-to-day life. [My range starts and stays on the small side, given my settings, pants pocketses, and lack of girth for 'horizontal carry,' heh]

My apologies if this is not what you're trying to get at? :confused: Please do clarify. :)

[Speaking only for myself, I'm hyper-allergic to "girls knives" and/or any marketing that thinks a female should/WILL want something she wouldn't otherwise, as long as it comes in pink, or is cute. As one example. Which is different from a female who wants a knife, and then is glad if it turns out to be a certain color.... With your four at home, and all those knives...? You have lots of source material from which to draw, and knives by which to gauge their responses. :cool: (Any commonalities?)]

:D

Leave to Jerry! I mentioned my lack of a dedicated Fiddleback EDC, he graciously offered to send me some to check out and asks which ones I was interested in, I mentioned a handful, maybe 6 or 8 or so, and he sends out 22!!! Goodness, this should keep me busy.

It's a lot, ain't it?! Try to enjoy it as much as you can! I sure did, although it was kinda stressful too, the sheer volume of tangible input, the desire to do patterns and makers justice in evaluating what works and doesn't. There is nothing, but nothing, like comparing knife patterns head-to-head.

Go, Jerry, Go!

We will definitely share our thoughts on all of the options and post up various pictures a la Sarah, though I doubt I'll be able to hold a torch to her eloquently constructed musings.

You are too kind. I don't generalize well-- I like something or I don't-- but am glad if anything I wrote helps others to think about their own preferences and what will make them happy, happier, long term. :)

Goodness! That would be awesome! This is already going to be quite the task, might as well get more of them in there to compare!

Thinking such as this is precisely what resulted in my Sudden Bear Cub. I suddenly knew it was a potentially very good fit for me, and that I wanted/needed it to arrive while Jerry's knives were still here (with, at the time, more on the way). :D

A few personal comments and comparisons:

Let your eyes stare at the WAS Palmer and the Sylvrfalcen, blur a little and imagine the "Rhino horn" (quoting someone from last Friday) on the Sylvrfalcen is not there. The remaining part of the Sylvrfalcen kinda looks like the WAS Palmer, except maybe the guard area.

I'm not sure if anyone else might see it but when I received the Lonestar EDC, I immediately thought "This really reminds me of a squashed (top to bottom) and stretched Sylvrfalcen."

Nah. :p

... Funny, how we can consider the same knives so differently! The Palmer and Sylvrfalcen are such very different knives to me, one bulby and the other svelte, I wouldn't put them in the same sentence. Likewise, the visual imbalance of the Lonestar throws me off (cue Thumper's Mother's advice, here).

But then, I want a swedged blue Sylvyrfalcen so hard my molars hurt, going on months now, so I'm kind of tetchy about comparisons with that particular pattern. :D

(More seriously, the Sylvrfalcen has a slim straightforwardness of handle that the other two lack, with the right amount of foreshortened swashbuckle in the blade. Okay, that's all just my preferences showing, again.)

Have fun, y'all, and THANKS AGAIN JERRY, and Nathan (still grateful for the Hiking Buddy share), and anyone else inspired by these undertakings.

~ P.

The whole "female input" thing perplexes me, honestly. But then, I'm already 'here.' ;)

Preferences already vary so wildly among the men (the predominant market/enthusiast demographic), including regarding handle material. If a woman wants a knife, she'll want the knife, with or without tweaks based on her own (projected) use, while seeking out handle material to her liking-- just as every man does.

"Women who love knives" are clearly smaller in number than the male contingency, but I'm not sure how much can or should be generalized from any one of our preferences. It comes down to what catches one's eye, intended uses, and how well it carries in one's day-to-day life. [My range starts and stays on the small side, given my settings, pants pocketses, and lack of girth for 'horizontal carry,' heh]

My apologies if this is not what you're trying to get at? :confused: Please do clarify. :)

~ P.

Hey ~P! I was wondering when you were going to chime in with anything. Really, I'm looking for commonalities so we can stereotype women as much as possible. Yeah, that's the ticket! (not)

Of the 4 at home, one girl is 11 months, the other girls are 6 yrs and 7 yrs old. At this point, they're mostly into their favorite colors although, you can see the wheels turning more in the 6 yr old as to how functional the knife would be for chopping, cutting, slicing as she initially checks a knife out. The Wife and Mother In Law both seemed to hone in on the Hiking Buddy model when presented a mini knife show. Mind you, I can't share my 70+ knives with the Wife all at once or I'd be in the doghouse. :D I haven't made progress yet on getting her to carry a fixed blade yet and she prefers a folder because the blade can be hidden and rendered safe in her mind. Thus far, I've given her a Spyderco Delica and she likes that grip a lot but her girl jeans pockets aren't deep enough for it to set in all the way. Then I gave her a Mini Grip and that fits in her pocket much better. She likes the more positive purchase on the Delica but told me the Delica can go home. She uses the heck out of them in a utility manner, never for food and asks me to touch up the edge about twice a week. Mostly its stuff like cutting strings on square or round hay bales or (yesterday) she used it to cut a slit in the placenta whilst helping a calf along into the world. *sigh* One reason I'd rather her have a fixed blade is because of all the miscellaneous things she gets into the folder pivots and washers.

To answer your question on commonalities more clearly; Wife and Mom seem to like the Hiking Buddy the most & they prefer a guard and dislike the guardless models (Sylvrfalcen, Handyman, etc are thus disqualified). They made the comment that it feels like their hand is going to slip up and onto the blade when there is no guard. They did not think the Esquire or Bobcat were big enough (nothing to hold onto) and then the larger ones quickly became too large. Although, Mom does most of the deer/hog game processing and likes the Old School Ladyfinger a bunch.

When the EDU gets home, I can certainly send it off to you if you'd like.

--> J

Hey ~P! I was wondering when you were going to chime in with anything. Really, I'm looking for commonalities so we can stereotype women as much as possible. Yeah, that's the ticket! (not)

:D

Of the 4 at home, one girl is 11 months, the other girls are 6 yrs and 7 yrs old. At this point, they're mostly into their favorite colors although, you can see the wheels turning more in the 6 yr old as to how functional the knife would be for chopping, cutting, slicing as she initially checks a knife out....

... She uses the heck out of them in a utility manner, never for food and asks me to touch up the edge about twice a week. Mostly its stuff like cutting strings on square or round hay bales or (yesterday) she used it to cut a slit in the placenta whilst helping a calf along into the world. *sigh* One reason I'd rather her have a fixed blade is because of all the miscellaneous things she gets into the folder pivots and washers.

"Miscellaneous things," indeed! :eek:

To answer your question on commonalities more clearly; Wife and Mom seem to like the Hiking Buddy the most & they prefer a guard and dislike the guardless models (Sylvrfalcen, Handyman, etc are thus disqualified). They made the comment that it feels like their hand is going to slip up and onto the blade when there is no guard. They did not think the Esquire or Bobcat were big enough (nothing to hold onto) and then the larger ones quickly became too large. Although, Mom does most of the deer/hog game processing and likes the Old School Ladyfinger a bunch.

This is all great information, their impressions, your observations, all of it. I look forward to hearing what they land on!

At the same time, do you have any sense that their identified needs, preferences and/or objections differ materially from those presented/identified by men who don't [necessarily want to] carry fixed blades? Other than the very real women's-pocket-size thingy, of course. :)

When the EDU gets home, I can certainly send it off to you if you'd like.

I just might take you up on that, if only for a helpful point of reference.

Er, where were we?!

~ P.

Of your newer arrivals, the EDU intrigues me, especially with Chris's maniacally tapered 3/32"! :D

I'm also quite excited that Jerry decided to send this one. I've been talking to Chris about getting EDU for a while now, and I finally decided on specs that I like. Just a matter of time until Chris whips that special one up for me!

I'll be real excited to get my paws on this model and see if I'm going to like it in hand.

[Speaking only for myself, I'm hyper-allergic to "girls knives" and/or any marketing that thinks a female should/WILL want something she wouldn't otherwise, as long as it comes in pink, or is cute. As one example. Which is different from a female who wants a knife, and then is glad if it turns out to be a certain color.... With your four at home, and all those knives...? You have lots of source material from which to draw, and knives by which to gauge their responses. :cool: (Any commonalities?)]

My GF, Marney, is the same way. She thinks all of the "for women" pink hunting gear is stupid. Though, just from pictures and talking with her about the knives she does have her preferences like any of us. She wants small, and she likes greens and blues, especially the nice blue burls.

It's a lot, ain't it?! Try to enjoy it as much as you can! I sure did, although it was kinda stressful too, the sheer volume of tangible input, the desire to do patterns and makers justice in evaluating what works and doesn't. There is nothing, but nothing, like comparing knife patterns head-to-head.

Go, Jerry, Go!

You are too kind. I don't generalize well-- I like something or I don't-- but am glad if anything I wrote helps others to think about their own preferences and what will make them happy, happier, long term. :)

~ P.

A whole lot! Though we're both quite excited that we get the opportunity to check them out. Comparing head to head, blade to blade, handle to handle, is going to be an awesome experience. I know what I'm "supposed to like", er what my visual preferences are, but my hands have surprised me before... my eyes say, "no way!" and my hands say, "this will do nicely, thanks". Case in point, the Maverick and the Wingman. I am not a fan of the looks, still, but they're so comfortable that I enjoy using them.

We'll see how this whole experience goes! I'm excited that I get to partake.

Fantastic Jerry [emoji106]

You are fast becoming the Fiddleback Forge knife librarian (if there's such a thing).

Out for delivery!

That was fast! Now I won't be able to concentrate for the rest of the day! :D

Edit: and I ended up working late too! I don't get to start the comparisons until tomorrow.

Last edited:
And so it begins...

I picked up Jerry's package today during my lunch break, before suffering my way through a few more hours of work and an appointment. On my way home I grabbed the mail and to my surprise Nathan's package was waiting for me! When I got home I quickly unloaded my work things and set the packages down on the kitchen table while I made some room.

I laid everything out and gave them a good once over for any shipping damages or things of note. Once that task was complete, I took a deep breath, cracked open a beer, and started checking things out. *Don't mind all of the rod building supplies on the table, just another project I'm in the middle of. :D

hHG1eaFh.jpg

I had some very initial impressions that I'm going to share here, in the coming days I will be doing a more thorough comparison of this overwhelming pile of knives. First though, I want to say thank you again to Jerry, Nathan, Douglas, and Kris for offering to send 'EDC sized' knives for me to check out. I can't say how much the kindness and trusting of the gesture means to me.

Now for my first of probably many thoughts. I want to note that these are just my very initial thoughts on things, I expect that some of these will change as I familiarize myself with these knives, and I plan on getting more detailed in the coming days.

Right off the bat there were a couple models that I was ready to declare as "the one(s)" and send these things back. :D I'm exaggerating, but there are definitely a handful of models that stole the first showing. Those being the Esquire, the OS Karda (a surprise for me), the Handyman, and the Bushnub. I plan on going into more detail on these models in the next few days.

Marney, my GF, was most interested in the small knives as expected. She immediately picked up the Mosquito and declared that she liked it. She liked the handle of the Runt, but preferred the blade shape of the PK, Esquire, and Karda. She said that the Esquire was the most comfortable and she also liked the PK. More of her thoughts in the future.

I also got our roommate, and my best buddy, Steve involved. His favorites were the OS Karda and the Minute Man, he preferred the models with a "smoother" grip like the Karda, Bushboot, Minute Man and Kanati to an extent, etc. He also liked the Mamushi K. He said his middle finger didn't like the swell on the Esquire, Bushnub, etc.

Other knives of note for me were the regrind production Hiking Buddy, Bushboot, EDU, Huntsman, and Sawnee, also the non-Fiddleback Gallardo BnT that Douglas sent for me to check out. I'm not aesthetically attracted to the SylvrFalcen, Lonestar, BC Jr., or the Palmer, though I will say that they all have some interesting aspects to them.

Alright, that's all for now! Just the quick cliff notes of my (and Marney's and Steve's) first thoughts. I plan on getting into the above models again as well as the ones I haven't mentioned yet in a lot more detail. I'm still a little overwhelmed by all of it, but really excited to have to opportunity! Thanks again guys!

Orion

My GF, Marney, is the same way. She thinks all of the "for women" pink hunting gear is stupid. Though, just from pictures and talking with her about the knives she does have her preferences like any of us. She wants small, and she likes greens and blues, especially the nice blue burls.

Marney, my GF, was most interested in the small knives as expected. She immediately picked up the Mosquito and declared that she liked it. She liked the handle of the Runt, but preferred the blade shape of the PK, Esquire, and Karda. She said that the Esquire was the most comfortable and she also liked the PK. More of her thoughts in the future.

In which we quickly establish that Marney has exquisite taste. :D

-- Great write-up, Orion! I like that you've posted your first impressions, here.

[I've learned to pay attention to my own instinctual selections when faced with an array of quality choices, to not 'think away' something that truly beckons-- while of course always, always remaining open to Surprises.

It'll be fun to see how your initial thoughts hold up over the course of ongoing comparisons.

Overwhelming fun, innit?

~ P.

Good initial write up! I'm a pk man myself.. that's why I have 6 of them but always looking for more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In which we quickly establish that Marney has exquisite taste. :D

-- Great write-up, Orion! I like that you've posted your first impressions, here.

[I've learned to pay attention to my own instinctual selections when faced with an array of quality choices, to not 'think away' something that truly beckons-- while of course always, always remaining open to Surprises.

It'll be fun to see how your initial thoughts hold up over the course of ongoing comparisons.

Overwhelming fun, innit?

~ P.

Exquisite taste indeed! She picked me, right!? :D

Thank you! I tend to go off of my initials impressions and gut feelings. If I don't I end up analyzing and over thinking things unnecessarily. Though, with this exercise, that is sort of the point

I have some plans for how I want to tackle this, not quite sure what my final method will be... we'll see.

Good initial write up! I'm a pk man myself.. that's why I have 6 of them but always looking for more

Thank you! I can see why you like it! I also like it, I was just distracted by the previously mentioned models. I could definitely see myself owning a PK.

So it beings...

Before I get started on the knife details and pictures, I want to explain what I'm looking for in my EDC knife and mention a few other things. I also want to mention what Marney, my girlfriend, wants in her EDC knife. I spend most of my week at work, as do most of us. I work as the Field Manager at a state conservation Nursery that specializes in conservation seedling trees, native restoration species, and windbreak trees. I spend more time working outside than inside, and I'm always doing various tasks where having a good knife comes in handy! Sometimes I'll need to cut a bunch of twine, or open boxes and packages, cut weed or frost fabric, fix things, break things, cut stuff while wearing gloves, lunch prep, so on and so forth. When I'm not working I'm either doing various projects around the house or out in the woods. I've got my 'woods knives' pretty well covered, so I'm not taking woods time into account for my EDC knife. The reason I mention this will become clear on some of the later models. Around the house is more of the standard EDC knife uses.

So, I'm looking for an EDC knife that is light and pocket carries easily, 95% of the time I'll have this knife in either my right hip pocket or cargo pocket. It needs to be easy to draw and re-sheath repetitively; if I'm tying bundles of trees I'll be tying, drawing, cutting, and re-sheathing over and over again, usually wearing gloves. This has a bit to do with the sheath, but also the size of the knife, which leads me to the next thing I'm looking for. It needs to be decently hand filling, but not overly as to not interfere with the first requirement. Finally, it needs to be attractive, aesthetically pleasing, eye catching, to me. I'm going to be carrying the darn thing practically every day, I better love looking at it!

Marney, does not get to work outside everyday like I do, she works in an office and wouldn't be taking her knife into the office with her. After work and on the weekends, when she carries the knife, she would carry it in her pocket. She wants a small knife and has already picked out a couple models from the bunch that she would like as her EDC. Her knife use tasks are less frequent than mine. We have two horses that she often visits after work, I imagine that would be where her knife sees the most use. Though she also would bring it on our outdoor adventures where it would see some light use.

Other small things of note. I'm left handed, but do most things with my right hand. Many tasks I do pretty well ambidextrously including cutting, though in a weird way. I do all of my kitchen knife work with my left hand, slicing, chopping, mincing, etc, all better with my left hand. I do all of my "bushcrafty" tasks with my right hand; the wood working stuff, though I'm better at little detail work with my left. Game processing is mixed, I dress large animals equally well with both hands and switch between hands often, I filet fish and breast birds better with my left hand. So, because of that you'll see some 'knives in left hand' pictures.

Finally, for reference, I usually wear about a size large glove.

S2PKHDYl.jpg

FuSFAU7l.jpg

On the next post we'll get into the first batch of knives I looked at...

Last edited:
I've spent the last couple of days thinking about how best to tackle the task of comparing and analyzing all of these knives. The method I came up with was to separate the knives into makers, and then go through systematically handling the knives in various grips that I would commonly find myself using in EDC type tasks. I plan on working my way through a handful (pun intended!) of knives each day, as I can, and sharing my thoughts in this thread. I will also be sharing my thoughts on the Osprey Knife and Tool and WA Surls models in the threads that Jerry posted in their forums. I also want to mention that Jerry and Nathan let me know which knives they were okay with me 'using'. I hadn't initially planned on using any of them, but I may do some very light duty slicing tasks after I've gone through everything. If I do, my thoughts on that will be posted later.

I will be starting with the Fiddlebacks...

The first batch I looked at were the 5 smallest knives, the Mosquito, Runt, Pocket Kephart, Esquire, and OS Karda. This is the size that Marney was most interested in, though I will try to get her thoughts on some of the other models as I work through them. There's a summary of my thoughts at the bottom if you don't feel like going through all the pictures. *For specs on Jerry's knives look at the first post*

r2437Ucl.jpg

The Mosquito is surprisingly tiny! Definitely too small for what I'm looking for, though I still like it. For my hands it's a 2 finger knife with a little bit of help from the 3rd finger. Feels good in hand, as do all of models in the "ergonomic family". Marney liked the Mosquito, but she didn't like it as much as a couple of the other models.

5YVH7yel.jpg

DnROJKhl.jpg

In my left hand I tried out the pinch grip that I would use with a larger kitchen knife, this is my standard food prep grip. Surprisingly, again, the little thing felt pretty good in this grip.

BV7fa57l.jpg

BtE5Aevl.jpg

I was also surprised at how small the Runt is, this is the first time I held one. It's definitely a full on 3 finger knife for me. Again, I think this is too small for what I'm looking for, I also don't find it as aesthetically pleasing as some of the other models. Marney decided that of all the small models, the Runt was the one for her. She prefers the Esquire's feel in hand, and the blade shape of the Karda, but the Runt is the one that she would actually carry and use because of it's size.

kpToITcl.jpg

The left handed precision box opening grip. The butt of the Runt locked into my palm well in this grip, and once I closed my thumb down it felt that a very comfortable and controlled grip for some precision tip work.

6nnSEI5l.jpg

Next up, the Pocket Kephart. This model sort of bridges the gap between the 'x finger grip knives' and 'full hand grip knives' for me. The PK fits in my hand almost enough to get a full 4 fingers around it. The extra depth of the handle make the PK more hand filling than some of the other models; I feel like I could put it to some harder use tasks. Though it took a while for it to click, this is definitely a model I could see myself carrying and enjoying. My only concern is the overall length, I think that some of my knife uses at work could benefit from a bit more knife.

This is the model that Marney had shown the most interest in when we were looking through pictures, but the handle wasn't comfortable for her hand. The extra depth that I liked didn't work for her. She also said she thought it might be the 'thinness' of the handle; it doesn't have some of the swells and curves that she found comfortable on Runt and Esquire.

DU1UCvjl.jpg

2gMXtQVl.jpg

eSmc0Cll.jpg

The Esquire is a model that I've always been visually attracted to, I've been considering getting for as my EDC but haven't had the right one pop up yet. Now getting one in hand confirms my considerations. I can get a full and grip around it's handle, and I find it comfortable in many different grips. This size of knife, about 6.5" up to about 7.5", is what I imagined
would be my ideal EDC size. Now that I have a bunch to play with, I think that's pretty accurate, though I'm leaning towards the models on the bottom end of that range. The Esquire is one of those knives that I pick up and it just feels right, nice and light but still big enough to get some work done. I could definitely see myself putting one of these in my pocket every morning.

Out of all the small knives, Marney said that the Esquire was the most comfortable for her. However, she said she didn't think she would carry and use it as much as the smaller Runt.

aLpLOcul.jpg

LYErj3pl.jpg

JTTnIj3l.jpg

Finally, the OS Karda, a model that I've never really paid much attention to, I figured that I would prefer the ED Karda, or maybe newer 3 finger Kardas to the simple OS Karda. However, the first time I picked this knife up I had one of those "lightning moments" as I've seen it described. It just felt right. The curvature of the handle just locks into my fingers, I get a ton of usable blade with a pinch grip. Choked up with my index finger extended on the spine the butt of the knife locks right into my palm. Overall it just looks and feels good, a surprising revelation, because until getting them in hand I haven't been very keen on this style of blade. It's sort of like a mini Bushboot, another model that has been a bit of a surprise for me. Needless to say, I will definitely be looking out for an OS Karda for myself, hopefully one in OD canvas. ;) Though I find Jerry's navy over yellow pretty nice to look at as well. That navy burlap is beautiful, I understand why many of you like it so much.

Marney liked the blade shape of the Karda, but wasn't a huge fan of the handle.

ISanCgSl.jpg

BnwP3l4l.jpg

zdzplKtl.jpg

dC1NoeBl.jpg

In summary...

The Mosquito and Runt are both too small for what I'm looking for. Marney is pretty set on the Runt being the model that she would like to have. The PK bridges the gap between the 'small knives' for me, and though I think it would make a great EDC, I think it's just a hair too small for some of my work uses, particularly the gloved ones. The Esquire and OS Karda made me realize that my ideal EDC range is right in the 6.5" to 7" range, though I'm also considering a couple of the 7.5" ish models. The Esquire would make a great EDC for my uses and I plan on getting one, but of the two, the OS Karda is the winner. The first time I picked it up I was surprised at how good it felt. It just sort of melted into my hand, very surprising. If I was going to buy a single EDC knife and I had to do so today it would be an OS Karda, some of the larger knives are still in consideration though!

So far, the only thing I've learned for sure is that my list of "knives to purchase" has grown. :D Next post, when I get a chance to take pictures and write some thoughts out, will be on the EDK, SylvrFalcens, Lonestar, reground production HB, and the Bushboot. Thanks for following along! :thumbup:

Really great job, Orion! I'm glad you are both finding knives that feel in home in your hands, and that you can foresee carrying-- and wanting to!-- on a regular basis. :)

Finally, it needs to be attractive, aesthetically pleasing, eye catching, to me. I'm going to be carrying the darn thing practically every day, I better love looking at it!

Absolutely! I'm glad you stated this right out loud. :cool:

I've spent the last couple of days thinking about how best to tackle the task of comparing and analyzing all of these knives.

Even if you get no further, you've done a great job in presenting your perspective going in to the decision processes, and your conclusions to date. For me, it's almost more fun reading about knives I know than to learn more about those I'm still trying to understand. With this many new-to-you knives at once, there's a lot of ground to cover(!). I'm glad you're finding/learning what hits the spot for you in the midst of all this.

I love this picture. :D

I also flat-out love how the Pocket Kephart looks, in pictures and in person. Although I wish it looked as big in person as it does in most pictures; I, too, wish for a little more handle. [I mean, I love the form factor of the Pocket Kephart as is? But as a go-to, my hand wants more.] I will be surprised if I don't end up with one at some point, as is, but:

Here's the mockup Jerry did for me when I expressed a desire for more length-- the original, a photochop with more handle, and one with more blade.

PK%20Compare.png~original

Initially, I liked the balance of the bottom design better, but looking again I prefer the form of the second-- closer to the original. (Once the blade is extended, as in the third picture, it becomes a different knife, and possibly too close to an Esquire...?)

But, I digress. :eek:

Out of all the small knives, Marney said that the Esquire was the most comfortable for her. However, she said she didn't think she would carry and use it as much as the smaller Runt.

Interesting! The proof's in the pudding, or at least, the [projected] carrying and the using, innit? I do carry my own Esquire [almost] every day, but can see how a smaller knife could be more suitable (especially given one's pockets, environment, etc.).

So far, the only thing I've learned for sure is that my list of "knives to purchase" has grown. :D Next post, when I get a chance to take pictures and write some thoughts out, will be on the EDK, SylvrFalcens, Lonestar, reground production HB, and the Bushboot. Thanks for following along! :thumbup:

Great stuff. :thumbup:

[Thanks again, Jerry et al!]

~ P.

Thank you! Definitely lots of ground yet to cover, I'll keep trucking along... maybe change my tactics here and there, we'll see.

I agree on the PK! I had forgotten that you also wanted a little more handle on it, I guess a Bear Cub is technically the next larger in the Kephart family. :D I actually often forget about that model, but I had a very nice Osage one that stayed with me for a brief visit. I liked the feel of it, I should consider that model again.

E8s2vssl.jpg

I remember that chop and paste job that Jerry did, I find the third one most appealing, and yes it is essentially an Esquire. Haha! The second knife would be interesting... I like playing with knives and imagining how they could become just that much more appealing (see below).

At Marney's work environment there's no need, nor permission probably, to have a knife. Though if I had my druthers she'd have a knife and a firearm with her... I digress, I may end up getting an Esquire before I find her a Runt. If I do, I'll let her borrow it for a few days to see if she changes her mind.

Agreed! Thank you Jerry, and Nathan, and Douglas, and Kris! Kris' knives should be arriving this week. He included some Fletcher models that I'm particularly excited about handling!

PS. Quick little preview to the next post. While sitting at the computer working on the last post I had the knives laid out in their canvas rolls and started playing with the SylvrFalcen. More details later...

VMLfaLjl.jpg

B5hBgLsl.jpg

I too would like to see a hornless sylvrfalcen.. it would look especially sharp bolstered.. I guess I could always do it myself but then I'd have to ruin my beautiful sylvrfalcen hahah

I too would like to see a hornless sylvrfalcen.. it would look especially sharp bolstered.. I guess I could always do it myself but then I'd have to ruin my beautiful sylvrfalcen hahah

Which if the two do you prefer? The "leaf shaped" or the "puukko" style.

I would find it very difficult to modify a Fiddleback myself!

I find that the "puuko" style fits the curve of the spine in a very attractive way. It's like a chunkier OSKarda.

Back