1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The 3 1/2" EDC Share

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Warrior108, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Nbrackett

Nbrackett Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Careful P. You're treading on sacred ground. [emoji4]

[​IMG]

*Its dark and that's a lightning strike behind the Bushboot*

2. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

~ P.

3. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I agree completely! However, I've also been wrong initially on a few models. Namely the OS Karda and the Bushboot. In the past both of those models have been mostly just neutral for me. As I've said previously I'm more keen on the sleek, sexy, minimal knives. The Karda and Bushboot fill those qualities pretty well but the overall 'parabolic' shape was something I didn't really understand. Before, visually only, I was all about the mostly straight, slightly sinuous curves of the Ladyfinger, the Bushfinger, the Recluse, the Patch. It took getting the Bushboot and Karda in hand to make me understand the 'parabolic' shape, to feel it. If nothing else comes of this experience (already not true) at least I've gained more of an appreciation that the knives aren't just sharp, pretty shapes. They're designed to feel good in one way or another. Andy, Chris, Dylan, Allen, and probably most knife makers put a lot of thought into that, and it's really hard to fully understand that visually. Only once you get one of those knives in hand that just 'clicks' for you -lightning strike as it's been described recently- then you can start to appreciate the thought that goes into some of the designs.

Every time I unroll Jerry's knives I pull out the Bushboot. I think that says plenty as to what I think of it now.

This is great! I didn't remember that picture you too. They're so similar! I'm sure some very similar thoughts ran through our heads.

I can't agree more with your last point! I'm enjoying the heck out of this experience, definitely can't say enough about how much I appreciate the trust and generosity that these guys have shown to me.

Thank you!

4. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Only one more 'batch' of Fiddlebacks after this one and then we're moving on to the other makers starting with W.A. Surls!

Before we continue into the larger EDC models, I received another box from Jerry and I was also loaned a couple small knives by Nathan (Thurin), so I'm going to touch on those.

First, a new style 3-Finger Karda. I was glad that Nathan brought this model when we met up today (more on that later) because I've been curious about it. Even better, he sent it home with me so I could include it in the comparisons. As you can see, it's about the size of the EDK but it has more blade; just a slightly larger, chunkier blade. Of all the Karda models that I've handled, this one is actually my least favorite. The back edge of the handle hits a weird spot in my hand and it's not very comfortable for me. Nathan also had a very nice EDK that had much thinner handle scales than Jerry's BRB EDK (all of my pictures of that knife from today aren't very good, but it looks like an EDK I promise). I found that I preferred the thin handle if I was going to be using the knife in EDC tasks, the thicker handle would definitely be nice for wood working and such.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, Jerry's 2nd package included another Runt and PK, and Nathan also sent me with his Pygmy to check out.

[​IMG]

I definitely prefer the Pygmy to the Runt and the Mosquito. It feels better in my fingers and I like the blade shape a little more. Marney is the opposite, she wasn't a fan of the blade. Also, she's been getting over a cold so I haven't been bothering her with knife stuff. She already kind of picked out her EDC model, the Runt, but I want to get her thoughts on some of these 'larger' models so I'm going to see what she thinks she would like as a camping/woods knife. Marney likes the second Runt that Jerry sent, it's blue! I feel the same about the Runt model as I did in my previous post.

[​IMG]

Of the two Pocket Kepharts, I much prefer the new bolstered navy one! It feels like it's about half the weight, it's actually 2.64 ounces to 3.42 ounces, but that thinner steel and different handle material really makes a difference. I'm pretty set on 3/32 for my EDC models for that reason.

[​IMG]

On to the "big" ones! As you can see by my crappy picture below (sorry for the blur) the next knives I played with were the Wingman prototype (sent to me for testing a while back by Phillip), Toboggan, Bushboot, Hiking Buddy production regrind, and Handyman.

[​IMG]

I'm going to start with the Wingman because I've had it in my possession for a couple months now. I will be doing a separate post for this knife, but wanted to include it here as well. *Also keep in mind that this is a prototype version, the final version has a slightly longer handle.

If you couldn't guess, aesthetically the Wingman is not my favorite, but I have found it to be a very handy little knife. The (short*) handle fits my narrow hands well and the swells fit into my palm and fingers and really lock the knife in. I have done some EDC tasks with this knife and I found it to be adequate! The swept back tip isn't ideal for everything, but it worked for everything that I've used it for. The real testing I put this through was with game and it did quite well at those tasks. It don't see myself getting this model as my EDC knife, but it works great as a small game and general use knife if you're looking for that, I already have a small game knife in my F2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Toboggan is an interesting model... I can't think of too many Fiddlebacks with upswept blades like the Toboggan has. I find the handle quite comfortable, sort of like someone took a Hiking Buddy handle and bent it back ever so; nice and hand fitting. The blade seems very useful, but overall the knife just isn't really my style. I do think that a lot more people would own these if they got to handle them though. In my left hand, as a "food knife", the upswept blade gives me plenty of clearance, if it wasn't for that guard I would be able to use the entire edge. Someone who does a lot of food prepping with their EDC would definitely find value in a Toboggan, especially a guard-less one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've already mentioned several times that the Bushboot surprised me. That probably doesn't come as a shock to many of you considering how quickly these things have been selling! Like the OS Karda, the 'parabolic' shape just fits right into my hand, it's quite nice. I tried this thing in all sorts of grips, and the only one that I didn't find comfortable was the reverse-underhand grip. The guard catches the meat of my hand a little bit. I can hold the knife a little bit lower in my hand so that the guard clears, but then I catch the sharp end of the handle in my thumb webbing. Anyhow, you may be wondering why I even try that grip... well, this winter when I was in the field for work, bundling trees with twine, I found myself pulling my knife out of it's sheath to quickly cut twine and this was the grip that I ended up using, so I test it. Is that grip important? No. Am I still going to buy a Bushboot at some point? Yes. Is this MY EDC knife model? You'll find out later... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, the surprising production regrind Hiking Buddy! It's a Hiking Buddy, most everyone knows how awesome of a model that is (myself included now! Oh, hints!?). I have handled a production BC Puukko which is a guardless Hiking Buddy so I have a good idea of what the non-regrind feels like, and I much prefer the regrind! I find the higher grind visually appealing and it also makes it slightly lighter, though it's probably negligible. I already knew that I liked the handle shape because of my F2 which is essentially the same handle just slightly longer. EDC or not I'd love to have one of these just for the S35VN!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last up is the Handyman! Yet another very comfortable handle! I like pretty much everything about this model, it feels good every which way in hand, it has a nice, simple, useful blade shape, no guard for extra clearance, and it's just a darn good looking knife! I would be very interested in comparing a 3/32 Handyman to a 3/32 Hiking Buddy. The Handyman is just slightly longer, maybe 1/4" if that, but between the 3/32 Hiking Buddy and this TT 1/8 Handyman I prefer the HB which weighs just about 0.7 ounces less. This Handyman feels more like a "do everything" knife which I will be getting more into with the final batch of Fiddlebacks! Maybe tomorrow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading along! Let me know if you have any questions about any of the models so far or want any comparison pictures that I haven't posted yet! :thumbup:

PS. Don't worry about the stunningly good looking navy Hiking Buddy that I've neglected to mention. I'll be including it and the F2 in the final group of Fiddlebacks.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  5. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Before I post pictures and my thoughts for the final batch of Fiddlebacks I wanted to share some pictures from Thursday when I was able to meet up with Nathan (Thurin) in Denver and compare even more knives! Sorry for the sun and shadows in some of these pictures, that's how it goes when you're doing shady knife comparisons in the back of an SUV at a parking lot. :D

A whole bunch of EDC models!

[​IMG]

The Fiddlebacks... I wonder how many EDC models are missing from this bunch of knives.

[​IMG]

W.A. Surls models.

[​IMG]

Osprey Knife and Tool.

[​IMG]

Knives from Jarrett Fleming, Dylan Fletcher, and Joshua Gallardo

[​IMG]

Comparing the Fletcher 24/7 to the Surls Harpoon, both very comfortable knives!

[​IMG]

Larger Fiddlebacks! I was glad that Nathan brought these along, I finally got my hands on some models I've been curious about. The KE Bushie is definitely going to be my future scandi ground Fiddleback. I also quite like the Hunter. I also got to play with one of the rarely seen Longfellows, it's larger than I expected.

[​IMG]

:thumbup:

6. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

The last batch of Fiddlebacks!! Some great "All Arounders", I'll touch on this at the end.

First up is the Bushnub, the OG version without the guard. I really like this model! The swell of the handle really locks into my hand in all the different grips I tried and I find it very comfortable. I find the deep guard-less blade quite attractive, not surprising since this is in the Bushfinger Family of which I already own two models, the Ladyfinger and Bushfinger. The lack of a guard would make this knife very suitable for any sort of food prepping tasks you wanted to do with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also included by Jerry was the guarded Bushfinger II, and though very similar, these two particular knives have a lot of differences. First off the II is 3/32 but the OG is 5/32 TT, this creates a huge difference in the feel of these knives in hand. The 3/32 feels a lot more like an EDC knife and the 5/32 feels like a woods knife. Even with the guard I find the Bushnub II pretty good looking and I still think it would do decently well at food prep. Otherwise I have the same feelings about this models as I do about the Bushnub above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I lumped the last three models together because they all essentially have the same handle shape, and my thoughts on the BC Jr. are fairly quick. The F2 and BC Jr. have almost identical handles, and the Hiking Buddy's is just slightly shorter but otherwise the same. I find this handle shape very comfortable whether the long or short one. The F2 is one of my knives and I use it for small game, fishing, and foraging. I love this knife, but I think it's better suited for the previous tasks than it is as an EDC. The blade shape on the BC Jr. isn't one of my favorites, if it wasn't obvious by now, I prefer 'pointy' to 'blunt'. Otherwise I find the knife comfortable and I think it's probably a very handy knife!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The best for last?! Yep, I saved this beauty for the last entry of the "in hand" thoughts on these Fiddlebacks. This Hiking Buddy wasn't sent with the first batch of knives from Jerry, but I'm sure glad he included it in the second package; I'm quite smitten by it. We already know that I'm fan of the handle shape and feel. The 1/4" less handle when compared to the F2/BC Jr. doesn't bother me in the slightest and actually hedges in the HB's favor for pocket carry; shorter and lighter. This particular knife is 3/32 A2 with natural bolstered navy burlap, not only does it look great but it feels great in hand. Nice and light and slightly grippy from the burlap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sort of held some of my thoughts back on the production regrind Hiking Buddy so that I could share them with this one instead. Until getting these in hand I've mostly just been slightly interested but pretty neutral on the Hiking Buddy as a model. Not sure why because I definitely see it as a winner aesthetically, I just never took the plunge and bought one. Probably because I have the slightly pointier brother in the F2 I figured there wasn't really a reason to have a Hiking Buddy... oh how wrong I was! Not only do I want one of the production regrinds for the S35, but I also am seeing a 3/32 synthetic handled Hiking Buddy quickly rising to the top of my EDC list. I'm not committing to a final choice yet, there's another model that also has me quite taken, but this Hiking Buddy has definitely pushed several others out of contention.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, I wanted to share some other thoughts I had about the Bushnub(s), Handyman, and BC Jr. I think that these 3(4) models would fill the role of a "do everything knife" really well. Especially in TT 1/8 or 5/32. I am 100% set on my EDC knife being 3/32, but if I was looking for a model to EDC, take into the woods, food prep, game process, so on and so forth, -a knife to do it all- I would definitely be looking at a 1/8 TT Handyman or Bushnub. The Bushnub II, as I said above, is 3/32 and it definitely feels more like an EDC knife whereas the Handyman TT 1/8, BC Jr. 1/8, and Bushnub TT 5/32 feel more like 'woods knives' to me. I think a 3/32 Handyman would probably fall more into the EDC role for me, but I don't have one to compare with so I'm just going to assume, though I still think I would prefer the slightly shorter Hiking Buddy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  7. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Alrighty! I just skimmed through all my pictures and thoughts so far and it's definitely a lot for someone to read through, so I wanted to summarize and post my "finalists" of the Fiddleback models. Maybe Jerry can link this post in the first post for quick reference! :D

Fiddlebacks

The Fiddleback models that have made it to the "EDC Finals" are the Bushboot, Hiking Buddy, ED Karda, Old School Karda, Esquire, and Pocket Kephart. All of the below knives are 3/32 A2, and they also all happen to be burlap!

The Patch has also been added to this list of 'initial finalists'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My thoughts on the PK, Esquire, and OS Karda are in this post: http://www.bladeforums.com/index.php?threads/the-3-1-2-edc-share.1477680/page-2#post-17019560

My thoughts on the EDK is here: http://www.bladeforums.com/index.php?threads/the-3-1-2-edc-share.1477680/page-3#post-17023669

Thoughts on the Bushboot here, I also briefly touch on the 3/32 navy PK vs the 1/8 jade PK : http://www.bladeforums.com/index.php?threads/the-3-1-2-edc-share.1477680/page-4#post-17030799

Finally, the Hiking Buddy thoughts are here: http://www.bladeforums.com/index.php?threads/the-3-1-2-edc-share.1477680/page-4#post-17035196

My thoughts on the Patch vs Hiking Buddy are here: http://www.bladeforums.com/index.php?threads/the-3-1-2-edc-share.1477680/page-5#post-17090111

Some other summarized thoughts:

- I'm set on 3/32 steel for my EDC.

- I'm definitely leaning more towards synthetic handle materials, firstly because I just prefer them, but also I think they'll stand up to some of the daily uses a little better, and I'm in Colorado so less maintenance on the synthetics.

- Though I think that scandi grinds are useful and definitely have their place, but I want convex for my EDC.

- Looking at the above picture there are definitely some trends I'm noticing... all of the models have generally similar blade shapes; slim, generally centralized tips, the bottom four all have a blade length of about 2.75" give or take 1/8", the top two are around 3.25".

- Of all of the above models I find the EDK and HB handles to be the most comfortable. *This is only handling the knives, not during use because I haven't put any of these to use.

- I still think the PK is a touch too short for all of my uses, but receiving the 3/32 version bumped it up a little bit in my considerations.

- If I had to pick one right now I would quickly choose the Hiking Buddy and wouldn't look back, though I would keep my eyes out for an Old School Karda to pick up later on.

- After looking at the list by blood604, I don't think there are any other Fiddleback EDC models that would make their way into these finalists. Possibly a 3/32 Patch could compete against the Hiking Buddy, I would be curious to compare.

Now to find out if any of the Surls, OKT, Fletcher, or other models can win me over!! :thumbup:

Thanks for reading through! Hopefully I'm providing enough information and pictures to give some insight to others who are in a similar situation.

W.A. Surls

The W.A. Surls models that have made it to the "EDC Finals" are the Huntsman, Minuteman, and Patch. The the reverse order being their rankings. The Patch is far and away my favorite of the bunch, it just fits my hand right. Time to beg Allen to make me a Patch!

[​IMG]

Some other Surls EDC models that I would be curious to get in hand would be the Shark/Cuda, Bobcat, Hornet, Hunter, Mini Hunter, and... the Great White Buffalo, haha! :D

Osprey Knife and Tool

I touched on this on my copied post in the OKT forum, but if I were going to choose one of those four models to EDC it would definitely be the Warthog, so I'm adding it to the finalists with a couple notes! I think I could definitely get used to the little bit of extra size over some of the other "higher ranking" finalists, but I have a few caveats... the first would be that I would want a commando one like my previous Warthog (see below), the second would be 3/32 steel, and the third would be the guard-less version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  8. varga49

varga49 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2016
    No matter which one one you pick this whole series of posts will likely be useful to a good many folks in the future. The first thing I realized when I got my first FF blade was that a picture of a blade only tells so much. These on going comparisons by way of the generosity of one of our FF ambassadors at large [Warrior108] will hopefully get a lot of mileage in the years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Agreed! It's been enlightening to get so many models in hand. Definitely tough to judge just from pictures, though many of my visually preferred knives have also been knives that I like it hand, of course with the occasional surprise!

I sure hope these and Sarah's, and anyone else's comparisons in the future are useful for potential Fiddleback buyers or anyone just looking to learn more about all these awesome knives!

10. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Working my way through all these knives so I can get them back to their owners safety sooner than later! I was able to sit down and spend some time with all of the WA Surls models yesterday. There are 11 models so I'll probably do this in two posts, starting with all of the "Palmer handled" models.

[​IMG]

The Palmer is an old Fiddleback pattern that Andy stopped making if I'm not mistaken, it's essentially a large Runt. I definitely prefer the larger Palmer to the tiny Runt, but it shares many of the same visual qualities that I don't prefer. I prefer slender, sleek, and pointy for my knives. The Palmer handle (and Big Palmer even more so) shape feels good in hand which is why Allen uses it on several models I'm sure. The only slight knock on the Palmer handle for my hands is that in reverse grip -cutting cordage and such- the inward curve catches the meat of my palm. Aside from that and my personal aesthetic preferences, I think the Palmer would make a sweet little EDC. I can see why people wanted them to continue being made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "Big Palmer" handled models all fit my hand better than the standard Palmer and I find that handle shape comfortable as I said above, so these models really come down to blade shape and aesthetics. The Huntsman is definitely my favorite of the bunch. The extra length makes reverse grip more comfortable because the curve of the handle clears my palm. Not only do I think that this would make a very nice EDC, but I'm betting it would be a sweet skinning knife. Of all of the blade shapes here the Huntsman is the simplest which is probably my it's my favorite, followed closely by the Harpoon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last three Big Palmer handled knives all fall second to the Huntsman because of my personal blade shape preferences. The Harpoon and Inlander are essentially the Huntsman with some blade extras. The Nessmuck handle is just slightly longer.

The Harpoon may not tick all of my 'visually appealing boxes', but I find this model super comfortable! Especially in this grip that allows my thumb to rest perfectly on the blade. If I liked blades with extras a bit more I would have a hard time over looking this model!

[​IMG]

It takes a very particular swedge to please me, the Inlander's isn't one of them. Again thought, I find the handle to be quite nice, especially this one in black micarta!

[​IMG]

This Rocky Mountain Nessmuck's handle is just a smidge longer than the previous models and makes it just a touch more comfortable in hand; negligible really. Like the Harpoon, my thumb rides nicely on the blade's curves. As you can probably guess though, I'm unsure about the blade shape. As an aside, the Nessmuck design in general is a model that baffles me. I will randomly find myself drooling over some of them, but other times I'm completely uninterested. I really should acquire one and put it to use for a few months to make up my dang mind... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Now for the 'other' Surls models!

[​IMG]

First up, an unnamed spear point stick tang. I think this is just a cool little knife, but it's not something that I see myself carry every day. The antler handle fit's well in hand and the blade would make a handy little skinning knife. Pair this thing with an old school rifle and go chase some deer! :thumbup:

[​IMG]

The Kanati very much so reminded me of the Fiddleback BC Jr. so I pulled it out to compare a la Sarah, belly to belly. As you can see, the handle curves are pretty similar on both of these models with the Kanati's "useable" handle coming up slightly shorter than the BC Jr. The blade on the Kanati has a bit more of a downward angle overall. I think that anyone who enjoys the BC Jr. would also like the Kanati. Like the BC Jr. and other "Hiking Buddy handled" models, the Kanati handle feels good in hand. In reverse grip, because of the slightly shorter "useable length" the Kanati does catch that meaty part of my hand, but I don't find it as uncomfortable as some of the other models that hit my hand in the same way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Revenant EDC doesn't really do it for me visually; though I think it's a wicked looking knife, in a good way, especially with the curly Q. This model just doesn't sit well in my hands. The guard catches my index finger and the Q gets into my palm. I think the blade shape looks cool, but I don't seem myself owning one.

[​IMG]

The Sawnee is interesting, I was immediately reminded of the Bushboot when I pulled it out. They both have a very similar parabolic curve and feel similar in hand, though I find the Bushboot a touch more comfortable. I prefer the look of the guard-less blade on the Sawnee, but it doesn't serve much of a practical use because the overall curve of the knife keeps the full edge from being put into food prepping use unless you do so with the back of the knife hanging off your prepping surface. The curly Q hits my hand in the same way as the Revenant EDC but I think the different handle shape keeps it from being really uncomfortable. Also, I don't find the signature handle wrap of Allen's Frontier line visually appealing -I don't dislike it at all, I just don't prefer it- however, in hand it feels very nice! Overall I find the Bushboot slightly more appealing, but this is definitely an interesting model, I would be curious to play with one that doesn't the Q.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, the Minuteman! I'm impressed with this model, and just as an extra note this was my roommate Steve's favorite of the entire bunch. This particular one is a very thinly tapered 3/32 CPM with a hollow grind and it's light! Like some of the previous models I had a comparisons pop into my head when I started playing with this knife, the Minuteman pulled a very tough competitor in the Hiking Buddy, one of my favorites from the Fiddleback comparisons! The Minuteman has a slightly shorter blade and a slightly longer handle, but less 'usable handle' than the HB. The deeper curves of the MM's handle feel like they lock into my fingers a bit more than the HB, but the HB is more comfortable in the reverse grips because of the more rounded overall handle. Like the Kanati vs BC Jr. the Minuteman's blade has a slightly more downward angle, I quite like it on this model, plus it's slender and pointy... my favorite!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaking of slender and pointy and keeping with some of my themes so far, I saved the Patch for last. Out of all of the knives that were sent to me this is model that has had the strongest initial impact; the biggest lightning strike! The Esquire and OS Karda made it to my 'finals list' for the Fiddleback models, in fact I would say they're probably 2nd and 3rd behind the HB, but the Surls Patch does everything that those two models do for me, plus a lot more. This is one of those knives that just feels good in my hand anyway I hold it, and I tried as many as I could think of. The curves lock into my hand in all the right ways, it almost feels like it becomes part of my hand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I felt that this model was most similar to the Esquire, so again I compared them belly to belly (sorry for the glare and shadows). The handle curves are pretty similar and these models are essentially the same in blade length and handle length. The Patch is a little more narrow overall. The Patch's handle ends more gradually and I find that more comfortable in the underhand grips as you can see above. Also, the Patch is guard-less, a plus! If someone held out a Patch and Esquire of identical materials for me to pick, I would have to choose the Patch, but I can see myself carry either of these models and being quite pleased with them.

[​IMG]

*I've added the "finalists" to my previous summary post above.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  12. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Hey Orion,

Post #1 updated with links and summary. Great work!! Keep it up and THANK YOU for your sharing your reviews and thoughts!

Thanks,
    Jerry

13. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Looks awesome Jerry! That should be easier for people not wanting to sift through all my blathering.

THANK YOU for making it all happen!

I'll be posting my thoughts on the last 8(9) knives, and a few other things sometime in the next couple days!

14. thurin

thurin Wanderer

Dec 19, 2012
    Great thread Orion. So much info and fun seeing how you've gone about the process. I'm glad I was able to contribute in some small way.

15. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Thanks man!! You definitely contributed, not only to the EDC but also with the larger models! Now I want a scandi KEB. :D

16. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Great stuff, Orion. :thumbup:

:D

Inspired by Jerry, and also because I use whatever knife is on me to welcome the newest knife-related objects to my home, I opened my Sylvrfalcen's pants shipment thusly:

[​IMG]

Speaking of the 'falcen, now having one of my own in hand (ooh, la) I've been thinking more specifically about your pictures and thoughts.

+1 on your bolded statement, above, even if I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum than on on this particular pattern.

I thoroughly enjoy how others are drawn to patterns I am not, and the other way 'round. [Hiking Buddy and Handyman patterns continue to bore me, much to my chagrin-- they would be, are, perfect for me in so many Actual ways....] :)

Specific to your 'falcen thoughts, I can see how a blade shape hewed more closely to the current spalting line could be welcome, envisioning my finger and thumb falling roughly here, respectively:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That said, the handle is so freakin' comfortable in every grip, whether with my thumb on the spine or with my hand wrapped entirely around it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... that I enjoy the knife as-is-- especially because I like its aesthetics! To my own eyes, the finny horn thing echoes (mirrors?) the down sweep of the handle's end, providing visual symmetry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus, the swedge itself is an exquisite touch, executed thusly:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, a dehorned Sylvrfalcen threatens to tip towards a Bushbooty visual, and I can't be havin' that. :D

I know, right?! I feel for the guys:

We love your knives! Change them! Make them Different!

(I'm still in for a Bear Cub Jr, or maybe a Patchnub. :D)

~ P.

17. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    I was worried.

Fortunately:
    It's a beaut, for true! Jerry's Pocket Kehpart and now this Hiking Buddy present a Best Of when it comes to navy Shadetree burlap over micarta bolsters and liners, a favorite combination of mine.

The Hiking Buddy still doesn't work for me over the Patch (and I intend to stop wishing it would!), but my goodness, that truer navy over the golden micarta is sweet!

From Jerry's knives' sojourn here:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Mine are the two with tails, the Patch and the Esquire.)

I also really enjoyed the feel of this particular knife in hand, and may look into the pattern further someday.

For now, I opted for a Bear Cub instead. I love my Cub, but the Bushnub remains a compelling option:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In addition to comfort and use considerations, a guardless blade such as the Bushnub's is way easy to strop right to the heel, as I'm learning with my Sylvrfalcen. I like that in a knife. :)

For me, the Bushnub's 5/32" TT was a revelation; I loved the weight and feel of the extra whomp-whomp in the blade, along with the balance provided by the tapered tang, in a relatively compact package. The thicker steel does add weight (and of course, width), but I guess it all depends on where you are Every-Day-Carrying, and what needs you might encounter. [5/32" TT now registers highly on my Freakin' Cool meter. [​IMG]] On the whole, I think 1/8" TT is my sweet spot? But it all of course comes down to a specific pattern, with varying factors telling to greater and lesser degrees.

~ P.

18. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    On wards we go!

Over the next couple days I'll be posting up the final comparisons including Osprey Knife and Tool, Fletcher, one Flemming, and one Gallardo. I will also be posting some more thoughts from Marney on some of the larger models as well as my overall finalists, and which models I have decided to pursue as my EDC fixed blade(s). :D First up, OKT!

Jerry sent an EDU, Trailhand, Warthog, and Mamushi *guardless* variant for me to check out. In the past I owned a commando Warthog so I have a little experience with that model.

[​IMG]

The EDU is a model that I've been intrigued by since Chris came out with it. I've gone back and forth on a handful of EDUs that were up for sale and I've also been in communication with Chris to get one made, but neither of those have come to fruition. This model sort of goes against some of my previously stated knife preferences, but surprisingly I still find the EDU attractive in its own way. I'm glad that Jerry decided to include this in the models he sent. This one is another sort of Sylvrfalcen situation for me, but instead of aesthetics it's comfort. I really want to my hands to like this knife but I just don't find it as comfortable as some of the models that have made made it to my finals. It feels like my fingers are looking for a little more handle; the finger notch makes my hand slide back and keeps me from choking up to sneak my pinky onto the back of the handle, the lanyard let me cheat a little but I tried to ignore it to get a real feel for the knife. The EDU was more comfortable for me in both reverse grips than in the blade forward grips. I'm definitely not saying that this model is 'out' but I don't think it fits in the EDC role that I'm looking to fill right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the other three models feel more like they fit into the "all arounders" group than the EDC group and the Warthog was my favorite. The Trailhand would make a dandy do-it-all game knife, the deeper blade and extra belly would make an awesome skinner. I find the handle really comfortable in all of the various grips that I tried.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Warthog, as I said above, would make an awesome do-it-all knife. It fits right in with the other models that I put into the group from the Fiddlebacks; maybe just a little bit too big for my EDC wants. The Warthog was my favorite of these three Osprey Knife and Tool models, it fits right in with many of my preferences, sleek narrow blade and all. The older commando Warthog that I used to have made a very nice EDC because of the thinness, I think it might be a touch long for all of my uses, but I definitely plan on getting another Warthog from Chris at some point. This one is a finalist, with a few caveats... see my thoughts in the "Finalists Post".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, the Mamushi *guardless* Variant. This is an interesting knife. It feels pretty good in hand and in plenty of different grips, except the "angle of attack" feels slightly off for me. I guess there's a fine line between good parabolic and slightly too much parabolic. You can sort of see what I'm trying to explain in the picture below comparing the Mamushi to the Bushboot and Sawnee. The other thing I found a interesting about this, and maybe Chris had a good reason for this in his design of the knife, but with a pinch grip clearing knuckles from the bottom of the handle (my preferred food prep grip), the end of the handle still prevents the full edge from getting to the cutting surface (see Chris' linked comment below, I was mistaken on the variant). If my understanding is correct Chris has done a couple different versions of the Mamushi. I would be very interested in handling all of them at the same time. I find this model visually appealing, so if one of the other versions worked well for me I could see myself looking to get one as another possible do it all knife.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...rey-K-amp-T-EDC-Share?p=17057755#post17057755

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  19. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Kris was nice enough to send Dylan Fletcher's Pro 6-5 and 24/7, both of which seem like very handy EDC blades! He also sent a larger model, the Zivug, which is totally badass! :thumbup:

First and foremost, the fit and finish on these is impressive, the G10 handles feel better than any G10 I've ever felt and the ergos are awesome. If nothing else, I at least learned that I plan on acquiring a Fletcher at some point!

[​IMG]

Of the two EDC models, I prefer the looks of the Pro 6-5, but the feel of the 24/7. This particular 6-5 is super thin and has some sweet file work on the spine. The 6-5 is another one of those knives that hit that weird spot on my hand. So I, as I said, I found the 24/7 a lot more comfortable. The super thin handle also makes this knife a bit less comfortable than the 24/7 for me. The blade shape on this one sort of reminds me of the OKT Warthog; deep with lots of belly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 24/7 reminded me of the Harpoon's comfortable blade shape. The 24/7 has an interesting handle shape, but one that I find pretty darn comfortable. Though I will say that I think it would be more comfortable for me if it had a touch more length, I'm talking 1/8" or so. This handle is also super comfortable in reverse grip!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I honestly don't see myself EDCing either of these models as they don't tick as many boxes as some of the other "finalists" do, but I definitely enjoyed handling them! As I said above, I plan on getting a Fletcher of my very own at some point.

Now, because Kris sent it, I took pictures with the Zivug as well. Not much to say about it, it's a big ol knife with a very good looking, comfortable handle. Like all of the Feltchers, the fit and finish was awesome on this. I had fun checking it out, thanks Kris!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    Finally, the last two knives... sort of...

A Flemming Osprey and a Gallardo Bird N Trout!

[​IMG]

The Osprey is about 8" long, a bit too long for my EDC preferences. However, I do like the aesthetics of this model, I find the slender blade and slightly downward angle both pleasing to the eye. The handle on this one is super thin and the swells don't land in my hand the 'right' way so I don't find it very comfortable actually. I'm definitely impressed with the make of this knife overall and will be looking into some of the other models that Jarrett has.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, a maker totally separate from the Fiddleback Family, Joshua Gallardo. Douglas sent this for me to check out so I wanted to include it here as well. This knife would definitely make a sweet little small game and fish knife, it would also make a decent EDC. The handle is pretty thin and the edges are rounded so it definitely has some sharp spots, otherwise it fit pretty well in hand and sharp spots aside, felt good in a variety of grips. This is another guard-less knife and the left hand approves of the pinch grip. Another maker to check in on from time to time... haha! Thanks for sending this one Douglas!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]