The absolute best quality spyderco for the least amount of $ with following crit....

NOT including the value line I was wondering about opinions on the best quality spyderco that meets the following criteria:

1-Plain edge blade

2-Does NOT have 8CR13moV but has at least the NEXT higher grade edge retention steel.

3-NO hook blades...spear/leaf/ or straight flat only

4-NO glass reinforced handles. g-10 or micarta only

5-has a locking system other then liner-lock. compression/bearing/etc. [just for something different-this is least important crit.]

6-blade size doesnt matter as long as it meets general EDC qualities of not too tiny or too big.

7-has some heft to it. (i like chunky blades as opposed to super fly-weight)

8-<$100

I have been heavily leaning towards a yojimbo2 but maybe not quite ready for the jump to plus $120 knives. I was hoping to get a chance to handle/use a knife with the renowned quality of a US/Tawian/Japan made Spyderco that is NOT part of their 'value' line. I have an ambitious and persistence and while I am extremely impressed with the blade sharpness and the overall feel I have a few issues with F&F. Mostly that I don't see much difference between the quality of my cheaper edc's and the 'value' blades. So-that may be expected and I don't want to judge Spyderco based on 'value' blades without experiencing what all the hubbub is about. So-while I know it would probably be best to wait and buy the Yo2 for the $140+ that it costs I am impulsive and want to compare the ambitious to a higher quality sibling and don't want to breach the (mostly) psychological price point of $100. Are there any $60 to $90 spydercos that meet these specs that will GUARANTEED not have any issues with out of the box friction/f&f/ and so on? I was thinking about a BM but I want to stick with the 'hole' and while BM has its own holes I feel its a copy and would rather wait to get a BM AFTER I see what spyderco has to offer. I know Iv'e been lurking/asking as a new poster hinting around in both forums but I think the BM is going to have to wait as I am sold on the HOLE and think I should hold of on assisted folders (which is all I like over @ bm)till I have a better sense of a quality folder. There has GOT to be something better then the 'value' spyders ( i like them-just not blown away) that is under $100--yes? or no? thanks

Last edited:
thx. I just checked the manix2 and I like it. must have missed this one. I would prefer the blue but don't know if the translucent textured scales are the glass fiber or wether I should stick to the black g-10.

Sage 3 satisfies all of your criteria.

i know I'm being a p-in-the a but I can't find the Sage3 (which i LOVE for less then $100 and if I was going for the sage3 I would have to have the blue. I want a blue scale spyderco if possible except for the YO2 which I already said-I can't get just yet. sorry if it seems stupid to some of you dedicated knife nuts that I'm making an issue over $40 +/- but if you had other pricey collections like vintage watches/lighters/etc. you would get where my pickyness is coming from. I also have a 'concerned' princess that occasionally has an 'opinion' or 2 about these things as her preference is Paris ...not blades!

I finally picked up a manix 2 , and I love it! Fits my hand better then my para 2 and now in s30

great. does anybody know if the translucent blue Manix2 scales are the extra light glass-fiber with the 'plasticy' feel or should I stick to g-10?

Yes the translucent blue has a plasticy feel. I went with the G10 Manix2 and could not be more pleased.

great. does anybody know if the translucent blue Manix2 scales are the extra light glass-fiber with the 'plasticy' feel or should I stick to g-10?

The translucent scales are glass-nylon (which is not in any way "plasticy" if you ask me - but your preference is your preference).

A Para-2 when the drought is over is what you need. The SuperLeaf is on-sale at a number of places and is a chunk of steel for the money (as is the Chokwe - it's slightly over your budget, but again - they're on sale at a lot of places right now and are a heck of a deal).

Outside of the PM2, Superleaf, or Manix-2, you've got few options at the ~$100 range with your limitations (Native 5 is good, but smaller). The Yojimbo has a needle-tip with a fairly thin blade doesn't it?

The translucent scales are glass-nylon (which is not in any way "plasticy" if you ask me - but your preference is your preference).

The Yojimbo has a needle-tip with a fairly thin blade doesn't it?

Thanks. I've read/seen on youtube great things about the Para2. As for the descriptive-plasticy-I don't have a word that isn't too negative-like 'cheap' which I don't believe it is even though some guys say it feels so. (i.e.-anybody want a gerber f.a.s.t. for cheap?) Your right-its just my personal preference. Touch is a VERY individual sensation and what feels great to one feels different to another. Maybe its my calloused hands that prefers the g-10 texture? I even prefer a smooth micarta as my hands dont need much to form a grip. But I am glad I know that the manix2 in blue is not an option for me.

The Yojimbo is a flat edged 'utility' style blade that just...well it absolutely sings to me. At least in photos it does. Its definitely an odd-man-out design. But how many of us have had this experience and then after a month or so of infatuation it becomes just another blade in the box? I am trying to avoid overspending on blades until I know my way around a bit. Who knows? Maybe I'll be so impressed with a manix or native that I'll skip the y2 and go right to the +$175 category.

Thanks. I've read/seen on youtube great things about the Para2. As for the descriptive-plasticy-I don't have a word that isn't too negative-like 'cheap' which I don't believe it is even though some guys say it feels so. (i.e.-anybody want a gerber f.a.s.t. for cheap?) Your right-its just my personal preference. Touch is a VERY individual sensation and what feels great to one feels different to another. Maybe its my calloused hands that prefers the g-10 texture? I even prefer a smooth micarta as my hands dont need much to form a grip. But I am glad I know that the manix2 in blue is not an option for me.

The Yojimbo is a flat edged 'utility' style blade that just...well it absolutely sings to me. At least in photos it does. Its definitely an odd-man-out design. But how many of us have had this experience and then after a month or so of infatuation it becomes just another blade in the box? I am trying to avoid overspending on blades until I know my way around a bit. Who knows? Maybe I'll be so impressed with a manix or native that I'll skip the y2 and go right to the +$175 category.

Understood man - you want what you want and nobody can fault you for that. The Manix-2 in G10 is probably your best bet if you can't find a Para-2 in-stock. I think you'd love the Yo2 as well to be honest, but I just didn't know about how hefty the blade was.

Do you have a grind preference (flat/hollow)?

I think the Native5 would be perfect for you. You should strongly consider this knife, I highly recommend it (for what it's worth).

The only criteria it doesn't meet is price, but if you shop around it can be had for around $110. Also, it pops up in the exchange at around $90.

I recommend the G10 Manix2. I think I picked up mine new in S30V for like $70 on eBay. I feel like the manix 2 was an attempt to make the absolute most knife for the money and I think they were pretty successful.

Manix 2 with g10 is an excellent choice. I have the blue translucent, the black g10 and one with custom scales. All three are great but the blue translucent is very light so based on your description I do not think it is what you are looking for.

Do you have a grind preference (flat/hollow)?

Well-the ambitious and persistence are my first flat grinds and I am liking the edge a LOT for what I normally cut. I havn't really had the experience with the flat to compare to years of using my cheaper EDCs which are all pretty much hollow grinds. I actually need to read up or be told what the advantages of the flat grind are. I am assuming they are extremely sharp and not as retentive as hollow but not really sure. I am waiting to find out if I am still 'thrilled' with the newness of the flat. Come to think of it-in my woodshop I can't think of any blades I work with regularly that arent flat grinds. even my hatchet and ...well I guess I have to find out about the virtues of hollow grind because I am now thinking it allows a thicker blade to be thinned so it must have to do with strength? But even my thickest blades like adze and properly honed-cut like the heck. Maybe I'm not that hard on my edc's because I have other tools nearby (usually). I've only really broken Victornox blades in the past.

Back