1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

The absolute best quality spyderco for the least amount of $ with following crit....

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Dabakr, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Dabakr

Dabakr

Mar 7, 2013
    NOT including the value line I was wondering about opinions on the best quality spyderco that meets the following criteria:

1-Plain edge blade

2-Does NOT have 8CR13moV but has at least the NEXT higher grade edge retention steel.

3-NO hook blades...spear/leaf/ or straight flat only

4-NO glass reinforced handles. g-10 or micarta only

5-has a locking system other then liner-lock. compression/bearing/etc. [just for something different-this is least important crit.]

6-blade size doesnt matter as long as it meets general EDC qualities of not too tiny or too big.

7-has some heft to it. (i like chunky blades as opposed to super fly-weight)

8-<$100

I have been heavily leaning towards a yojimbo2 but maybe not quite ready for the jump to plus $120 knives. I was hoping to get a chance to handle/use a knife with the renowned quality of a US/Tawian/Japan made Spyderco that is NOT part of their 'value' line. I have an ambitious and persistence and while I am extremely impressed with the blade sharpness and the overall feel I have a few issues with F&F. Mostly that I don't see much difference between the quality of my cheaper edc's and the 'value' blades. So-that may be expected and I don't want to judge Spyderco based on 'value' blades without experiencing what all the hubbub is about. So-while I know it would probably be best to wait and buy the Yo2 for the $140+ that it costs I am impulsive and want to compare the ambitious to a higher quality sibling and don't want to breach the (mostly) psychological price point of $100. Are there any $60 to $90 spydercos that meet these specs that will GUARANTEED not have any issues with out of the box friction/f&f/ and so on? I was thinking about a BM but I want to stick with the 'hole' and while BM has its own holes I feel its a copy and would rather wait to get a BM AFTER I see what spyderco has to offer. I know Iv'e been lurking/asking as a new poster hinting around in both forums but I think the BM is going to have to wait as I am sold on the HOLE and think I should hold of on assisted folders (which is all I like over @ bm)till I have a better sense of a quality folder. There has GOT to be something better then the 'value' spyders ( i like them-just not blown away) that is under $100--yes? or no? thanks

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. PanChango

PanChango

Jun 10, 2012
    I would take a look at the Manix 2 or Native V.

3. humblerodent

humblerodent Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Sage 3 satisfies all of your criteria.

4. Dabakr

Dabakr

Mar 7, 2013
    thx. I just checked the manix2 and I like it. must have missed this one. I would prefer the blue but don't know if the translucent textured scales are the glass fiber or wether I should stick to the black g-10.

5. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    Some of the Bug series as well.

6. Dabakr

Dabakr

Mar 7, 2013
    i know I'm being a p-in-the a but I can't find the Sage3 (which i LOVE for less then $100 and if I was going for the sage3 I would have to have the blue. I want a blue scale spyderco if possible except for the YO2 which I already said-I can't get just yet. sorry if it seems stupid to some of you dedicated knife nuts that I'm making an issue over $40 +/- but if you had other pricey collections like vintage watches/lighters/etc. you would get where my pickyness is coming from. I also have a 'concerned' princess that occasionally has an 'opinion' or 2 about these things as her preference is Paris ...not blades!

7. Tommythewho

Tommythewho

Aug 21, 2011
    Just bought a Superleaf for $99, hefty blade.

8. yoko

yoko

Sep 4, 2011
    I finally picked up a manix 2 , and I love it! Fits my hand better then my para 2 and now in s30

9. Dabakr

Dabakr

Mar 7, 2013
    great. does anybody know if the translucent blue Manix2 scales are the extra light glass-fiber with the 'plasticy' feel or should I stick to g-10?

10. Don W

Don W Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Yes the translucent blue has a plasticy feel. I went with the G10 Manix2 and could not be more pleased.

11. EZ Bake

EZ Bake

Mar 5, 2009
    The translucent scales are glass-nylon (which is not in any way "plasticy" if you ask me - but your preference is your preference).

A Para-2 when the drought is over is what you need. The SuperLeaf is on-sale at a number of places and is a chunk of steel for the money (as is the Chokwe - it's slightly over your budget, but again - they're on sale at a lot of places right now and are a heck of a deal).

Outside of the PM2, Superleaf, or Manix-2, you've got few options at the ~$100 range with your limitations (Native 5 is good, but smaller). The Yojimbo has a needle-tip with a fairly thin blade doesn't it?

12. Dabakr

Dabakr

Mar 7, 2013
    Thanks. I've read/seen on youtube great things about the Para2. As for the descriptive-plasticy-I don't have a word that isn't too negative-like 'cheap' which I don't believe it is even though some guys say it feels so. (i.e.-anybody want a gerber f.a.s.t. for cheap?) Your right-its just my personal preference. Touch is a VERY individual sensation and what feels great to one feels different to another. Maybe its my calloused hands that prefers the g-10 texture? I even prefer a smooth micarta as my hands dont need much to form a grip. But I am glad I know that the manix2 in blue is not an option for me.

The Yojimbo is a flat edged 'utility' style blade that just...well it absolutely sings to me. At least in photos it does. Its definitely an odd-man-out design. But how many of us have had this experience and then after a month or so of infatuation it becomes just another blade in the box? I am trying to avoid overspending on blades until I know my way around a bit. Who knows? Maybe I'll be so impressed with a manix or native that I'll skip the y2 and go right to the +$175 category.

13. EZ Bake

EZ Bake

Mar 5, 2009
    Understood man - you want what you want and nobody can fault you for that. The Manix-2 in G10 is probably your best bet if you can't find a Para-2 in-stock. I think you'd love the Yo2 as well to be honest, but I just didn't know about how hefty the blade was.

Do you have a grind preference (flat/hollow)?

14. FCM415

FCM415 Banned BANNED

Jul 9, 2012
    I think the Native5 would be perfect for you. You should strongly consider this knife, I highly recommend it (for what it's worth).

The only criteria it doesn't meet is price, but if you shop around it can be had for around $110. Also, it pops up in the exchange at around $90.

15. hellomcfly

hellomcfly

Feb 6, 2013
    I recommend the G10 Manix2. I think I picked up mine new in S30V for like $70 on eBay. I feel like the manix 2 was an attempt to make the absolute most knife for the money and I think they were pretty successful.

16. rbaker11

rbaker11

Oct 20, 2011
    manix2

17. blade4sell

blade4sell

Dec 11, 2012
    Good pick up...I always thought the super leaf is just as good as the PM2....

18. ezmorningrebel

ezmorningrebel

Nov 14, 2012
    Manix 2 or Native 5.

19. Nuke

Nuke

Jun 19, 2009
    Manix 2 with g10 is an excellent choice. I have the blue translucent, the black g10 and one with custom scales. All three are great but the blue translucent is very light so based on your description I do not think it is what you are looking for.

20. Dabakr

Dabakr

Mar 7, 2013
    Well-the ambitious and persistence are my first flat grinds and I am liking the edge a LOT for what I normally cut. I havn't really had the experience with the flat to compare to years of using my cheaper EDCs which are all pretty much hollow grinds. I actually need to read up or be told what the advantages of the flat grind are. I am assuming they are extremely sharp and not as retentive as hollow but not really sure. I am waiting to find out if I am still 'thrilled' with the newness of the flat. Come to think of it-in my woodshop I can't think of any blades I work with regularly that arent flat grinds. even my hatchet and ...well I guess I have to find out about the virtues of hollow grind because I am now thinking it allows a thicker blade to be thinned so it must have to do with strength? But even my thickest blades like adze and properly honed-cut like the heck. Maybe I'm not that hard on my edc's because I have other tools nearby (usually). I've only really broken Victornox blades in the past.