The Air Divided by Tarwar

Not me. I looked at them, I saw the cost and the art, the strength; but I had no place for a sword unless I was suddenly filthy rich and got to buy one of everything found on the planet.

Dave Rishar did the definitive and now legendary trial of the HI Tarwar. I hope the cane furniture floated downstream and was used for heat fuel by the hobos. Wasn't much good for anything else after Dave initialed the peices. He warned us and did things with the Tarwar you're not really supposed to do. He was new then but even he understood the line he'd crossed. It wasn't just that his tests were beyond the practical, it was because they'd be at home in the Twilght Zone if you really want the truth, leaving me with a sloppy grin just reading about it.

I made arrangements with Yangdu to get a Tarwar. I wanted Sher to do it but Bura did the pounding. I don't know how those things get decided. He shaped it about as good as one can shaped, with special attention to the edge profile. Really convex, not much sabre there. It's a little over 29" and weighs about 37 ounces. I've no idea what that means in sword art but in my hand it moves pretty fast. Not as fast as could be. You accept that with the Tarwar; this blade is coming through. It's not fancy or racey, and can't dance. When the Tarwar is heading home though, it will strike home.

Just simply a delight to have around. Me, the non knife guy with a sword. I chopped some with it, held it with one and then both hands, getting a understanding of how it balances and what can be done with this tool.
Finally, after all these years, I sliced some air. I divided the vulnerable air.

So now the Tarwar will sit with me at the writing desk. There's a lot of rig-ma-roll around the desk, a lot of pure crap and disorder. Things get lost in the havoc, but not the Tarwar. It is going to sit with me as I write. Maybe a blue steel revolver will stop by now and then too. The Tarwar is my symbol of fighting against the odds, trying to cut through the red tape and mistunderstandings all too common in our world.

No, it won't stay balanced on the computer screen, but it'll stick around. Just like the Cherokee Rose, I've found a good place for it.

Almost forgot; after all the effort the Kami Bura put into it, when Yangdu took it from the packing box she discovered the handle cracked. The beautiful Neem wood. Yangdu sent a small disk of neem with the blade. I sanded some off, and mixed this with clear epoxy. Though the pictures are not as sharp as I'd wanted, you can still see the grain intricacy. Try and find the crack. With a little TLC, a wooden khuk or sword handle can be repaired quite easily.

(pictures to follow)

munk

Tarwar fan here. It fills a gap as a tool-looking weapon, or a machete on steroids.

I have a neem/Kumar-made one I know you liked, munk. Now it has a glassy truoil finish, first one I ever put on a khuk. One of my last HI's, it's <ahem> a yard tool.

Swords just aren't practical, which is where the Tarwar shines. It looks enough like a machete to pass for a non-weapon. The simplicity of the design is time-proven, and the handle is long enough for two-hand swings. Woe to what it hits! Cloven or cleft are the choices!

Heavier than a brush knife, it can shop wood *nicely* and has a wicked swing. And we both need to put up pix. My Mac's card reader isn't working but I'll go shoot some to post from work tomorrow.

Mike

OK here are some pics to marinate around in this thread. (Sorry Munk, just checked my e-mail, when school is in Atlanta traffic is a nightmare)

Without further adoo:

Forgot to say...um...serioously awesome stuff. I want a Tarwar now. Doh.

You gotta refinish that neem bro. You won't believe the difference.

Heck-a-roni Andy; those picts came out better than I knew and I'm happy to see them here. It's great, man. Don't aplogize for helping me. Thank you so much for the assist!!!!

munk

I have always wanted one, but it seemed an extravagance. I am running out of places to put swords...
But I bet that I can find some room.

Thanks, Andy. We needed that... I saw a smiley somewhere that said, "Pix, or STFU."

I DO have a pic, but it's Yangdu's sale pic.

4inch39ounce6rz.jpg

'Nuff said, as Sgt. Fury used to say. ;)

Mike

Mike,
I think yours is the one that finally drove me over the edge. I was so close to just yelling out on the board; "I'll take it!" Budget and family be dam-ed. Here I was in the middle of debt thinking of a blade of blue steel. Exactly what I was not 'entitled' to think about. My wife had grinned, said, "Well, you haven't spent any money in awhile, go ahead and get the Balance khuk." That was like a month ago.

So, I was supposed to grab a Tarwar, a sword for Chrisakes, and throw it on on top of the pile? No way. You know; a sword, why, every outdoorsman carries one of those while in Elk country. Sure, next to a toaster, about the most practical tool that comes to mind.

Well, I have the Tarwar now, and it is just Great. I mean, sitting here on the desk like it belongs, as if it'd been there for years.

Bury me not on the Lone Prarrie,
bury me with the Tarwar by my side.

say what??!!

munk

I like wood, Steve, it's a friendly material to work with.

You know, I just realized I'd finally sliced air, the way knife people do. Me, slicing air.

munk

Beautiful blade. Thanks for the pics.

And Munk, no matter how much you profess not to be, you are definitely a "knife guy" :)

Damn.
No escaping it at this point, is there? I mean, just because over the last four years I've nabbed 20 khuks, but only one firearm; that doesn't mean anything, does it? And the blade by my bedside...come to think, the 1911 has been on the top shelf of the closet for 4 months....who put it up there?
You don't mean all this emperical evidence actually adds up, do you?
Look, I felled a lot of Ponderosa Pine with a khuk, but I want you to understand that the chainsaw was in the truck, OK? It was right there....coulda done the chopping and been back in time for Monday Night Football, instead of out in the woods with the kids running around like wild Racoons.....

hiking....haven't carried a sidearm for months...that's too much weight if you count the Khuk riding cross draw. But you can't count that; it's only there to bring back specimens of knotted pine for wood working, you know? No favoritism there, Nope.

I can see where you got it wrong.

munk

Sounds like you're having fun with it. Thats the awesome part of this thread. The inbedded air of fun.

Gear Oil....that's what I forgot to mention.

Once you put Gear Oil on something, you have Gear Oil with a little something besides. A drop of this special dinosaur distillate on your pants will still be there after the wash.

And Gear Oil smells. Like Oil Well Farts. Bura lubed my Tarwar before shipping- with Gear Oil. And no matter how many times I've stripped the surface of the blade of solvents, wood, soap, and mere gun oil, the Gear Oil smell is still there. Enough oil from the metal got into the sheath. It's be there when the mountains have crumbled down and the sheath is a pile of dust- a little pile of dust with Gear Oil.

munk

Back