The Alan Davis custom knife picture thread

Update: This one has been gifted.

Newest Davis added to the collection. This one is big and beautiful. Actually, much larger than would normally appeal to me. But, beauty won out over size! The 3.375" blade is made from Joe Burke feather pattern Damascus. The textured bolsters are from Doug Ponzio Damascus. What really drew me to this one were the mammoth scales. Nicely matched and they have an almost stag-like appearance and texture.

OKq0fQK.jpg

hOlQk9h.jpg

Last edited:
Dennis my brother!! I've been disappeared for a long while! I see your photo skills and taste are as good as ever!!

I got this one in the mail yesterday...Super Pleased...Look at the Mammoth...

Alan Davis Lanny’s Clip
Handle - Mammoth Scales
4” Closed, 7 1/4” OAL
Blade 3 1/8” CTS-XHP Stainless Steel
Liners & Bolsters - SS, Fluted Bolsters
Filed Liners & Backspacer

BB575C75-4AE7-45D0-A6CB-8120F3F5B15F.jpeg 119BBC0A-BDCB-4B45-913E-7214092F8A84.jpeg B258268D-1543-4D01-8700-6E9AF145D586.jpeg 1E6B7851-25BA-4A90-B445-C7D3428BEF67.jpeg

Sent you an email on this knife....gorgeous collection!
I figured that since I own a bunch of Alan's knives, I would just change the title of this thread and make it into an Alan Davis knife picture thread. So, if you have any of Alan's knives and wish to post a picture here, that would be great. We can then have one place to go to see all of Alan's creations. Below is the latest one I received. Over time, will post pics of the rest of my Davis knives.

(Update 3/15/2017: This beauty has a new home)

Here is a real beauty. While I have knives with various handle material .... I am really a wood guy! Love a beautiful wood. When Alan listed this sweet Ironwood burl, all I could say was wow! Less than 15 minutes after he listed her ..... she was mine! The blade is 3.5 inches of Alabama Damascus which Alan parkerized, giving it really great contrast. The carbon fiber bolsters really go well with the presentation grade Ironwood and really make it pop! As with all of Alan's folders .... it is buttery smooth and flies open.

FVCjeAR.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the newest Davis. Couldn't be more pleased. First, I really like the colors in the mammoth. But, what I really like is the fact that Alan thought so much of this knife that he kept it as his personal carry knife since 2017! Always neat to own a knife that he thought so much of that it became his EDC. Actually, this is the second knife I have that was Alan's personal carry. The pics of the first one are in this post. Anyway, besides killer mammoth on this slip joint, the size is perfect for me ... with a 2.875" blade made from some of Del Ealy's Damascus.

ADMAMSJ1.jpg

ADMAMSJ3.jpg

ADMAMSJ2.jpg

Got a long awaited email yesterday from Alan that my Grail knife is done.
The Blade is River of Fire Damascus by Joe Burke.
The blade is 3.5" long and the wood is Black line Spalted Maple.
Trying to wait for it to arrive is like being a little kid on Christmas Eve again.
7F7E00EF-1535-4AEB-8ABA-B225C7FE40D1_1_201_a.jpeg
A8BBCE2C-9F35-4ABD-82BB-3C4CBC374466_1_201_a.jpeg

Saw Alan post that on IG .... absolutely beautiful. Fantastic wood and great pattern in the ROF. Congrats!

Got a long awaited email yesterday from Alan that my Grail knife is done.
The Blade is River of Fire Damascus by Joe Burke.
The blade is 3.5" long and the wood is Black line Spalted Maple.
Trying to wait for it to arrive is like being a little kid on Christmas Eve again.
View attachment 1507272
View attachment 1507269

Damn that's pretty.. Nice lines... Literally and figuratively!! Definitely an eye catcher..

I got my first Alan Davis knife in 2012 and started this thread in 2014 to showcase Alan's knives. Since the beginning, I was intrigued with his style and the fact that every knife he made was virtually a one of a kind. He didn’t seem to make just one or two patterns that he outfitted differently. Many of his knives (especially his earlier ones) also had a sort of rustic appearance that really appealed to me. Yesterday, nine years after my first Davis, the 100th that I have owned arrived in my mail call. I had been working with Alan on this one for quite some time. Normally, when I have him make me something, I just tell him to go wild and make something he thinks I will like. This time, I tried to put a little thought into what I might want for number 100. I decided to go with a black/white color scheme. So, sent him a mock-up of what I was looking for, along with the materials I wanted. Couldn’t have turned out better. Scales are some white giraffe bone with black striations. Bolsters are sculpted titanium that Alan blackened. The 3.25" blade is Damasteel in the Björkmans Twist pattern. The gold anodized liners are file-worked and textured. The back spacer is the first Alan designed in this pattern. It’s titanium and incorporates blackened and textured gold anodized sections. Super happy and, as always, … Alan dun good!!

rUeCvzX.jpg

I51BnLi.jpg

Ja3zfQ5.jpg

EvJozst.jpg

Lkd8pQ2.jpg

Last edited:
A fitting centennial...Congratulations to you both...

I take it that you don’t plan on stopping here?...

Another Davis in the house. Bolsters are textured copper, back spacer is Fat Carbon, 2.25" blade is Alan's own twist Damascus .... and let's not forget the beautifully colored stag scales!

43B1s5y.jpg

Recently arrived. Smooth, highly polished, brown mammoth bark. Bolster and 2.875" blade made from a billet of Steve Standish's mosaic Damascus. Great looking back spacer. Great looking knife!

1bwXmOK.jpg

32aGaRR.jpg

LNbUuZe.jpg

rNUursC.jpg

I can't believe that it has been 2 years since I added another of Alan's knives. I guess I was waiting to find one that filled a void in the collection. Here's the new one, a gent's liner lock outfitted with Sambar stag, a 2.9375" blade from Alan's"cat's claw" Damascus, and Chad Nichols mosaic Damascus for the bolsters.

VfppK0b.jpg

Back