The Alaska Project

My final video and paperwork hve been submitted after I received word that I was a finalist for the project. For anyone who has not heard of the Alaska Project, nine people will be dropped off in the bush of Alaska, over 200 miles from anywhere, in early September and the object is to survive and make it back out as a group to civilization. It's estimated that it will take from six to eight weeks. The group will all be strangers to each other and a small crew will accompany to film the adventure for The Discovery Channel. All food and shelter will have to be found, nothing except some very basic essentials will be provided at the start. I hope when the details are released as to what personal gear is allowed that I'm able to carry my Busse ASH-1 LE... but I doubt it.

I should know the results in about a week. Wish me luck.

Allright Quoddy! Congrats man I hope you get on.

The last series they had, they didn't take anybody with any experience in the outdoors which made for a show with a bunch of whiners on camera!

I hope you get on, judging by some of the pics you posted; you have alot of experience and also attended some great schools as well. Am I right?

I hope you get on, judging by some of the pics you posted; you have alot of experience and also attended some great schools as well. Am I right?
I've been to a couple of basic survival schools during my 20 years in the service, and one basic civilian course. Nothing too in depth, though. I spend an enormous amount of time on the trail backpacking now that I'm retired.

So far my only real survival experience was several years ago while hiking in the Adirondacks during the late winter. I twisted my leg and fell on an embankment severly shredding my left meniscus. Since there was no chance of someone finding me, I hiked out for two full days in a blizzard with my knee experiencing the worst pain I've ever had. I finally reached the nearest road and literally collapsed when I realized that I had made it. That incident showed me what I could do if I had to. Inconveniences and discomfort on the trail are now so minor in comparison.

Dude you are hardcore. Thats an awesome accomplishment, I wish you all the luck man. Congrats!

I've been to a couple of basic survival schools during my 20 years in the service, and one basic civilian course. Nothing too in depth, though. I spend an enormous amount of time on the trail backpacking now that I'm retired.

So far my only real survival experience was several years ago while hiking in the Adirondacks during the late winter. I twisted my leg and fell on an embankment severly shredding my left meniscus. Since there was no chance of someone finding me, I hiked out for two full days in a blizzard with my knee experiencing the worst pain I've ever had. I finally reached the nearest road and literally collapsed when I realized that I had made it. That incident showed me what I could do if I had to. Inconveniences and discomfort on the trail are now so minor in comparison.

good god this will be like a walk in the park for you then.

Man that has my knee hurting just thinking about it!:eek:

I really hope you get on, you may want to lie to the producers and tell them your only experience was being locked out of your car at a Walmart parking lot during a drizzle!:D

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Good Luck To you, I sent an application to the first show and never got anything back.

PS: are you the same Quoddy From geocaching

Hope for your sake that this is not like The Alaska Experiment.

And you end up with a guy and his whining kids. :D

Les Stroud - The Alaska Experiment "Back from the Wild"

[youtube]cN6xLG-zvhk[/youtube]

Really I like these kinds of shows and am looking forward to watching this one.
I think it's cool that you have this chance to do something like this.
Please keep us updated.

Hope for your sake that this is not like The Alaska Experiment. And you end up with a guy and his whining kids. :D

Really I like these kinds of shows and am looking forward to watching this one.
I think it's cool that you have this chance to do something like this.
Please keep us updated.

They made it quite clear from the start that this was not going to be the coddled existence that was seen on The Alaska Experiment. Here's one sentence from the initial email I received which gives an idea of what to expect.

"Can you make your own shelter nightly, hunt for food daily and trek across miles of wilderness for 6 to 8 weeks?"

Even if I don't make the final cut, this is one show that I look forward to watching.

They made it quite clear from the start that this was not going to be the coddled existence that was seen on The Alaska Experiment. Here's one sentence from the initial email I received which gives an idea of what to expect.

"Can you make your own shelter nightly, hunt for food daily and trek across miles of wilderness for 6 to 8 weeks?"

Even if I don't make the final cut, this is one show that I look forward to watching.

Awesome:thumbup:

I am now really looking forward to this show!

I graduated Nursing school and am Working at MRMC until they close. don't geoache much anymore but now that school is over I'm Hoping Bandaidhead will be more active.

Glad to hear you are happy I was just asking someone about you.

Hey I signed up for that lol...if the alaska project is the same as alaska experiment? either way...good luck and congrats on even getting that far! Do you get payed/compensated?

nevermind i should have read it before i posted...NOT like the alaska experiment got it. Oh well i bet it still is good

Hey I signed up for that lol...if the alaska project is the same as alaska experiment? either way...good luck and congrats on even getting that far! Do you get payed/compensated?
As far as I know they're considering this totally separate from the Alaska Experiment since the objective and method is completely different. I haven't heard of any compensation, but I haven't inquired, either. I'd do it for nothing so I really don't care.

I would do it for nothing too Quoddy...it would be my dream vacation. I would go as far to say I would even pay them!

Back