The Annual Question; Knives for Hunting Season (with poll)

Which 3 additional knives would you take?

• SYKCO Mudd Mutt

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • SYKCO Scrapmax 460

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • Busse Anorexic Basic 4

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Busse Hog Muk LE

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • SRKW Rodent Trail

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Busse Park Ranger

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • SRKW Rat Hunter

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • SRKW Rodent Trail Custom

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Busse HACK Max Warden

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Busse Battle Grade WTH

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters

SpyderPhreak

Rocketman for hire
Platinum Member
So my archery Elk tag starts on Saturday :cool:, and I'm working on getting gear together. :D

So far, I've narrowed it down to these. The BAD and the Snake Warden at the far right live in my archery pack, and I'm trying to decide what 3 others to take along and have on standby in the vehicle (or at camp).

L to R:
  • SYKCO Mudd Mutt
  • SYKCO Scrapmax 460
  • Busse Anorexic Basic 4
  • Busse Hog Muk LE
  • SRKW Rodent Trail
  • Busse Park Ranger
  • SRKW Rat Hunter
  • SRKW Rodent Trail Custom
  • Busse HACK Max Warden
  • Busse Snakeskin Game Warden
  • Busse Boney Active Duty
IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2941.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

While I don't have a Buck tag for another 6 weeks, I've already figured out which one of the 3 10-point big boys I'm after. Hopefully...

(These pics are from 200 yards away, taken with my iPhone through my Nikon Monarch 10x42 binoculars. They're a bit fuzzy due to all the smoke we've had here in CO lately from all the West coast fires.)
IMG_6927.jpg

IMG_6926.jpg

(Notice there's more than one Mule deer in this pic. There were 5 bucks eating acorns inside of 10 yards that day.
IMG_6935.jpg

Another 10-point buck from a few weeks ago. Hard to see here, but this guy's back was so dark, he looked like an Elk at first, even through the binoculars! :eek: Check out the spread on those antlers!!! This is the one I'm gunning (bowing?) for! :cool: :thumbsup:

IMG_6725.JPG

Last edited:
When an Elk goes down from a shot the fun is over and the WORK begins....My go to Elk tool is the HRLM(Howling Rat Little Mischief) its done a couple dozen Elk (friends and family kills included) over the years so I consider it a GOOD LUCK Charm!! However I also have an Anorexic B4 and a Game Warden as helpers. I would like to test out the HACK Max Warden got a couple just haven't had the opportunity to test on Elk.

Good Luck on your hunt...:thumbsup:

Tip for ya - I will sometimes cop/paste names to see exactly what you all are talking about - - I would warn against searching along the lines of "Anorexic B4" or anything with anorexic in it- .... :eek::oops::rolleyes::eek::eek::confused:

Great pics. Best of luck out there. As for me I have tried just about every knife on the list on whitetail and I keep going back to my Active Duty. I think mostly due to the fact that it was my first and is my good luck charm.

That being said I think I would take the Scrapmax along as well. Elmax is super slicey.

Garth

I'm not much of a hunter, but I would hazard a guess that the War Train Handcar would be one HELL of a skinning blade... that belly is perfect its hollow grind is wicked sharp..
EN8d2mR.jpg

460 for sure...it's the best slicer in the lot.

Rat Hunter...it has a very ergonomic handle providing great leverage at the same time

Park Ranger...cause it's new and you likely haven't taken her on a field trip yet

Only one of the above I have owned is Park Ranger, but I wouldn’t have used it for hunting. Almost pulled the trigger a few times on a B4 though. Still might. I seem to gravitate towards a little larger blades when prossessing deer. Looking forward to using a Dog Soldier this year believe it or not!

I never knew this was hollow ground. Is it just the LE infi version or is it also for the battle grade? They are badass for sure.

I'm not much of a hunter, but I would hazard a guess that the War Train Handcar would be one HELL of a skinning blade... that belly is perfect its hollow grind is wicked sharp..
EN8d2mR.jpg

When an Elk goes down from a shot the fun is over and the WORK begins....My go to Elk tool is the HRLM(Howling Rat Little Mischief) its done a couple dozen Elk (friends and family kills included) over the years so I consider it a GOOD LUCK Charm!! However I also have an Anorexic B4 and a Game Warden as helpers. I would like to test out the HACK Max Warden got a couple just haven't had the opportunity to test on Elk.

Good Luck on your hunt...:thumbsup:

That first line of yours is SO true! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Tip for ya - I will sometimes cop/paste names to see exactly what you all are talking about - - I would warn against searching along the lines of "Anorexic B4" or anything with anorexic in it- .... :eek::oops::rolleyes::eek::eek::confused:

LOL. I'll not go see what you might have seen. :eek:

Great pics. Best of luck out there. As for me I have tried just about every knife on the list on whitetail and I keep going back to my Active Duty. I think mostly due to the fact that it was my first and is my good luck charm.

That being said I think I would take the Scrapmax along as well. Elmax is super slicey.

Garth

I do love the AD design, and getting a BAD last year for a good price was just icing on the cake. Extra hard INFI is great stuff for things like this. ;) ;) ;) (Hint, hint...)

EN8d2mR.jpg

Dang, how did I forget about my BGWTH? :eek: And I have that nice Pirtle piggyback sheath for it that he made so I can remove it from the WTF sheath too. D'oh! Here she is next to the B4 and the Muk.

IMG_2946.jpg

And the Pirtle sheath (old pic).

IMG_2004.jpg

You need a steak knife

Nah, already have the ScrapMax 460. Even slicier!!! :D

No wrong answers there.

Exactly. Which makes it SO hard to decide! :confused: :oops:

.....this !! But I vote for the B4 !!

Mate, I already knew what you'd vote for. There was ZERO doubt in my mind! :p :D

460 for sure...it's the best slicer in the lot.

Rat Hunter...it has a very ergonomic handle providing great leverage at the same time

Park Ranger...cause it's new and you likely haven't taken her on a field trip yet

All good points, none of which make the decision any easier, lol. :thumbsup:

What SAR 4? o_O I don't see a SAR 4 there... ;) (And unfortunately, I don't have one either.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well didn't see any Elk while scouting today. :( Doesn't bode well for opening morning. But I'm still going to be out there before first light, just in case they make a big move tonight and happen to be on the property I can hunt 'em on.

Had 3 does this morning that I had all the time in the world to take a shot on, inside 30 yards. They hung around for about 5 minutes. Of course, they probably won't do that next weekend once my tag starts. :rolleyes:

IMG_6962.JPG

While they were distracting me, a BIG polecat got within 30' of me before I had to move and scare it off. :eek:

He made a quick retreat for the bushes. See it?

IMG_2947.jpg

A close-up.

IMG_6955.jpg

Yours truly after sunup...

IMG_2952.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg

Since I was just scouting today, I wore the lightweight camo I usually wear Dove hunting. Tomorrow will blend a bit better. :)

Last edited:
I never knew this was hollow ground. Is it just the LE infi version or is it also for the battle grade? They are badass for sure.
I actually dont recall if its specs are hollow grind.. but I'll take a pic soon..it sure looks like it to me.. it's the thinnest edge I've ever seen on a Busse..

I actually dont recall if its specs are hollow grind.. but I'll take a pic soon..it sure looks like it to me.. it's the thinnest edge I've ever seen on a Busse..

IIRC, all WTH models were deep dish hollow ground. My BG definitely is! With the already thin stock and the deep dish hollow grind going up ~1.2" up to the saber, it makes for a nice, thin slicing geometry. :cool:

Edit: Well looks like I was wrong. Offer says flat saber grind... And sure 'nuff, laying a straight edge on it, it's definitely flat. :oops:

IIRC, all WTH models were deep dish hollow ground. My BG definitely is! With the already thin stock and the deep dish hollow grind going up ~1.2" up to the saber, it makes for a nice, thin slicing geometry. :cool:

Edit: Well looks like I was wrong. Offer says flat saber grind... And sure 'nuff, laying a straight edge on it, it's definitely flat. :oops:
Ya that's what I was thinking but man I'm telling ya.. when I'm home I'll take a pic.. its gotta be hollow:confused:

Ya that's what I was thinking but man I'm telling ya.. when I'm home I'll take a pic.. its gotta be hollow:confused:

I thought so too holding mine. If you look at the grind along the choil, I think it fools you. Put a ruler or something on the primary grind, and there's zero light getting through underneath. Flat. But still excellent slicing geometry!

I'd go with the Muk for skinning and the 460 for the rest of the dressing and processing. Don't think I'd even mess with a third.

Back