The Anvil Shed, The spot to shoot the breeze.

Go to the National Elk Foundation or Boone and Crockett Club and see if they have a list of top ten elk racks locations taken.
My statements based on 20 years of elk hunting in Rockies and career as Wildlife Biologist.

Biggest heads usually considered found in mountains of central AZ, especially the San Carlos Reservation some extend into Gila Wilderness in NM. A close second is area north and east of Yellowstone NP. Big racks take big animals and good feed to carry them as stated, usually associated with a protected area and limited permit areas. Mature bulls grow big racks, but the size decreases if they get too old or areas of hard winters reduces genetic size. Heads of costal US elk and northern Montana elk are medium sized. CO had big heads 40 years ago but state was slow to limit hunting permits. Even that big guys hand in the photo would not wrap around a big elks antler base. A big rack will be larger in diameter than a coffee cup. I have seen them where my own hand took both hands to reach around thumb to thumb and first finger to first finger Big enough racks can be found in lots of areas to make most hunters happy. I kept trying to get a permit south of Dinosaur NM in NW CO. But landowner permits sell for over 10 to 15 K. Public permits very hard to get. I have given up after applying for 21 years and never drawing a non-resident permit. Well, lets say my knees said to give up. 300

Our gun season in KY runs from 11/11 though 11/26. I figured I would dump a couple of trail camera photos here.

I circled my stand in the first photo. You might be able to make out the squareness of the blind. This is one of the 5-6 bucks in the photos that covered either end of this field. This camera is to my right if I'm sitting in my stand.
MFDC2605.jpg

You can make out my stand better in this photo. This 4 pointer in this field daylight to dark, every day. Yes, sticking his tongue out for the camera.
tongue.jpg

Here's a little better photo of the old guy. This is from the camera that would be 20 yards to the left of me (from my stand).
10.jpg

Within the last 2 weeks, from these two cameras I counted 1-10 point, 2-8 pointers, the 4 pointer, and a spike in addition to a dozen does. Here's a couple of the bucks.
18.jpg

This is the first predator I think I've ever caught on a trail camera.
MFDC2733.JPG

Hopefully these guys are here this weekend. The wife keeps reminding me how empty the freezer is!

I'm heading down to Kentucky Thursday evening. Bow hunt Friday, then firearms for the weekend. I had an 8pt at 5 yards this morning (same buck as the one in my SPS photo), but he needed a couple more years.

Where about in the Bluegrass do you hunt Tony?

This young 8 came within spittin' distance last year. He had a bird picking at him the whole time he was in the field. Was quite entertaining.

This guy crossed my path just once during shooting hours 2 years ago. I have photos of him from last year, but haven't seen him this year, yet.. I had a bow in hand and he was at 80 yards, well beyond my reach with an arrow. About a half hour later a decent 10 pointer came within about 45 yards of me. Just about where the 4 pointer in the first photo from my previous post is standing.

You can't eat antlers, so I'm happy taking doe. Based on the dozen cameras on 100 acres, I figure there to be a healthy 2:1 doe to buck ratio.

Beau0 country down there! I had friends in Campbellsville just north of there. Good luck and bring the photos!

Went to my sons Fall FFA banquet. As a fundraiser, the members as individuals and groups were autioned off as laborers. Some were 2 hours, some 4 hours, and some 8 hours. It was a nice reminder that there is hope for our youth. You so often hear only the bad.

My doe from a couple days ago. Still a lot of standing corn around my area. Hoping this dry stretch allows some harvesting.

Well done Tony! It'll eat better than all your future SIL's antlers will!

I've had only 2 mornings and one whole day on my place. Really disappointed in how little time I've been able to put in the woods this year. I'll have 10 days of black powder coming up soon though!

This is what we brought home from Kentucky a couple weeks ago. My brother killed the non typical 9 pt and doe. My son killed the little buck. I hope to get back down there for muzzleloader.

Knife buying/collecting:

In 2016, I kept up with how much I spent on knives. I'm too embarrassed to list the amount spent! I've been trying to cut down in 2017. So far in 2017, I spent $290 less on knives than I did in 2016 and I haven't bought a knife since July! But I made up for it buy buying a like new 1956 Remington Wingmaster. Or like I told my wife, I saved enough by cutting down on knife purchases that I was able to afford the shotgun :)

Anyway, I guess another way to look at it is that If I've been able to buy guns and knives, then life must have been going pretty good in 2017! But anyway, I'm asking for a certain Buck for Christmas and I'm going to try to not buy any new knives, or guns in 2018 and do more hunting, fishing, camping, hiking etc. that requires the use of the knives and guns.

Nice post jec88, and an admirable goal. The more hunting and fishing I do, the more knives and guns I want. I have very little self restraint so end up with more knives and guns...but, also more hunting and fishing!:D Prestonl

After many days in my blind, it finally paid off with this 5 point. I used my PakLite set to process him.

hyE0Hwv.jpg

2rcdnRP.jpg

Last edited:
Back