The "Ask Jo (NinJO) Thread"

I like the Camo or python micarta scales idea, I’d be in for some.

Also any chance for g10 multi colors scales for HDFK ? I mean purchased as extras like the edc2 scales.
I'm not sure Bill. I'll have to see what Nathan thinks about G10 on this type of blade. Maybe we could do a limited run...

Yeah, I don't plan to put G10 on the HDFK, that's a big scale and G10 is too heavy and slick for the application. I like it on smaller dressier knives, but not something like the HDFK.

I do plan to make some ebonite scales for the HDFK at some point down the road.

20180505_162822-jpg.901635

It's a smooth very hard rubber that looks a little bit like G10 but is grippy.

I'm not sure Bill. I'll have to see what Nathan thinks about G10 on this type of blade. Maybe we could do a limited run...

Ok thanks :)

Yeah, I don't plan to put G10 on the HDFK, that's a big scale and G10 is too heavy and slick for the application. I like it on smaller dressier knives, but not something like the HDFK.

I understand, I like it from a collector side. I like the colors for displaying the knives in sets, g10 really pops :)
Maybe as a side order ? Just the scales only and buyer installs them ?

Wow !!! That looks like some cool stuff ! does it come in colors to ?

That is awesome Nathan, looks like ebonite over Terotuf? I would think it would be a great scale material for any of the choppers, I would love to try some if you end up offering it.

I hadn’t heard of the ebonite before but it looks and sounds great. I look forward to getting some for an HDFK.

Would these be a good scale for the KCCC?

I just missed the "blem" sale today but have been wanting exactly that in a user. The price point is about right what I'd pay, I hard use all my knives and don't care if they aren't polished up to your usual standards. My suggestion - next time you feel lazy or just run out of time, just make a bunch more of these, I'll get in line now for one.

Jo, will the EDC2 scales fit the EDC1? And if so, will the EDC1 hardware accommodate the swap? Surely someone has asked this question or it has been addressed in someone else's post somewhere, but I can't find it.

Thanks!

Jo, will the EDC2 scales fit the EDC1? And if so, will the EDC1 hardware accommodate the swap? Surely someone has asked this question or it has been addressed in someone else's post somewhere, but I can't find it.

Thanks!
Yes, Adam. Tony is right. They are interchangeable, but not the same.

Wow, you weren't kidding. That is an excellent post. Lots of useful information there. Thank you, Mat.

My only gripe with the EDC1 was that I found myself wishing the handle was a tad thinner. I just felt like the handle might have a tendency to roll in my hand. I was excited to find out the handle on the EDC2 would be slightly thinner, so I sold my EDC1 in order to fund the purchase of the 2, only to find out later that I prefer the blade shape of the 1. I recently scored an EDC1 on the exchange and now I plan to contact Jo about ordering some of the thinner EDC2 scales for it. I will need a leather pouch sheath, too.

I can't wait to get this thing configured the way I want it.

Wow, you weren't kidding. That is an excellent post. Lots of useful information there. Thank you, Mat.

My only gripe with the EDC1 was that I found myself wishing the handle was a tad thinner. I just felt like the handle might have a tendency to roll in my hand. I was excited to find out the handle on the EDC2 would be slightly thinner, so I sold my EDC1 in order to fund the purchase of the 2, only to find out later that I prefer the blade shape of the 1. I recently scored an EDC1 on the exchange and now I plan to contact Jo about ordering some of the thinner EDC2 scales for it. I will need a leather pouch sheath, too.

I can't wait to get this thing configured the way I want it.

I swapped handles on my EDC1 to an extra set of edgecut micarta handle scales which I had ordered with my EDC2. No problems and I think that you will like it. I like the EDC1 belly & tip for being more divot-ish and puncturish whereas the EDC2 with the more pronounced belly and higher tip for slicing / skinning if you will. Why not have both, or a couple of each? :p

Back