The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan, how're you doing on this fine Monday before Thanksgiving?

I can't wait for TG to come and go so that we can go full on Christmas beastmode and for you to start posting your preference for darker and morbid Christmas jingles :D

Hey Nathan,
I finally received the double edge fighter. It is amazing, the grip is quite different than the Pig Sticker's grip.

It's the first kydex sheath from you that rattles with the knife inside. Is it normal? Because the knife is double edged?

I don't really know what constitutes normal, I'm not a kydex sheath expert <--- which is why I colaborate with one of the best sheath makers in the busness. I like the fit on mine just fine (and if I shake it, it will rattle, I just don't care) but if you don't like yours you can return the knife for a refund, you can send the sheath to Eric for adjustment or you could tweak it yourself to your liking. Personally, for me if the fit and retention is good I don't mind a little play if it means it doesn't drag as much on the blade so I previously have made thermoform tooling to have clearance on the blade and grip the knife by the front of the handle. Eric does all of his own tooling and adjustments so I don't really know what his criteria are. I'm sorry if I can't really answer your question. Please let me know if there is somthing you would like me to do for you.

Nathan, the Lengthwise Grinds on the UF's (via Instagram) look amazing:thumbsup:

My Question is this: I am assuming the DEF's 's will have the same lengthwise Grind?

And how much more difficult was to achieve the Lengthwise Grind?

They Look Amazing :thumbsup:;)

Tom

It appears that I'm the only one in the shop who does the lengthwise grind very well so I'm doing the standard UFs. I think Mark is going to do the dagger grinds and his satin grinds are perpendicular to the blade.

Hey Nathan,
I finally received the double edge fighter. It is amazing, the grip is quite different than the Pig Sticker's grip.

It's the first kydex sheath from you that rattles with the knife inside. Is it normal? Because the knife is double edged?

I don't really know what constitutes normal, I'm not a kydex sheath expert <--- which is why I colaborate with one of the best sheath makers in the busness. I like the fit on mine just fine (and if I shake it, it will rattle, I just don't care) but if you don't like yours you can return the knife for a refund, you can send the sheath to Eric for adjustment or you could tweak it yourself to your liking. Personally, for me if the fit and retention is good I don't mind a little play if it means it doesn't drag as much on the blade so I previously have made thermoform tooling to have clearance on the blade and grip the knife by the front of the handle. Eric does all of his own tooling and adjustments so I don't really know what his criteria are. I'm sorry if I can't really answer your question. Please let me know if there is somthing you would like me to do for you.

FWIW, my UF and DEF both rattle a bit, but the retention is great, so not worried about it. My choppers and HDFK don't rattle at all.

No matter which way, I am still very grateful. For someone like me who puts no effort into this other than clicking on "pay" on my PayPal, I would prefer the lengthwise because it is more forgiving on micro scratches plus vertical being the method of choice on most mass produced "satin finished" surfaces on folders, ergo Spyderco, but it is what it is and there're only very few DEFs so back to being very grateful for that fact that this option was even offered :)

Nathan, did you buy anything cool on Black Friday? Small Business Saturday? Do you intend on letting your wallet loose on Cyber Monday?

ETA, Q would not be fair without my own input. For a sorta (lower) middle-class person, I was sorta Grinchish! Only spent/spending about $500 400 in total, if that, all on knives and related items :)

I don't really know what constitutes normal,...
Return the knife? No way ; )
I was just wondering, if it's intentionally because the FK, EDC, LC and Shiv sheaths don't rattle. I thought that it could have something to do with the knife beeing double edged and a tighter kydex could wear out one of the edges.
I personally prefer a sheath that doesn't rattle, but it's not a deal breaker.

FWIW, my UF and DEF both rattle a bit, ...
Interesting, do you know if the UF and DEF sheaths are the same, or is there a slight difference?

Nathan, I finally got to try some of your D2 today. I skinned out a couple pork shoulders for the grill. Of course these didn’t have hair and dirt like wild hogs, but yeah, the little EDC laughed that work off. Shaving sharp still.

My question is...just curious what grit you run on your D2 for skinning/game processing type work. I felt like I could use a little more tooth on this edge.

Back