The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist I'm very interested in the grind which as you say transitions from deep hollow to flat closer to the tip. This is obviously a huge advantage of your machining methods.
Do you agree, that although nearly impossible to do accurately, one could attempt it by hand, by starting on a small wheel and then rotating the blade as you move down the bevel? Assuming that your wheel is wider than the height of the bevel.

Yeah, people do all kinds of crazy stuff. But its extremely unusual and unless you go to something like Blade show most folks will never see geometry like this. But yes, there are hand makers who do stuff like feathering hollow grinds. Loveless was lovely.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist I'm very interested in the grind which as you say transitions from deep hollow to flat closer to the tip. This is obviously a huge advantage of your machining methods.
Do you agree, that although nearly impossible to do accurately, one could attempt it by hand, by starting on a small wheel and then rotating the blade as you move down the bevel? Assuming that your wheel is wider than the height of the bevel.

one cool thing I like is a flat ground bevel transitioning to a convex plane at the tip. You can do that with files super accurately

Sort of. without a liner they can shrink and swell overtime. And with extended use they can get gummed up or smoothed out and eventually need to be sanded rough again.

It is however almost unbreakable.

Nathan, that was in reference to TeroTuf.

What grit sandpaper would you recommend? Any particular way you suggest to roughen them up?

Nathan, that was in reference to TeroTuf.

What grit sandpaper would you recommend? Any particular way you suggest to roughen them up?
Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist ,

Would it be ok to soak a knife with Terotuf grips in warm water with Dawn dish soap to clean the grips, or would this possibly loosen the adhesive that holds the Terotuf to the micarta base?

I did this with another brand's knife with smooth canvas micarta grips, and I scrubbed the grips gently with a toothbrush after soaking, and the clean grips felt much better!

Back