The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Not thin enough? Not thick enough? Not metric enough?

Personally, I like thin and light in a knife, especially when dealing with many of the super steels since they can do it just fine. Years ago I sold off everything 5/32” and up. Now 1/8” seems overkill.

Typically, with thin geometry you get a great cutter, which is all I’m after. But then theres Nathan’s video showing the performance of his 3/16....

Personally, I like thin and light in a knife, especially when dealing with many of the super steels since they can do it just fine. Years ago I sold off everything 5/32” and up. Now 1/8” seems overkill.

Typically, with thin geometry you get a great cutter, which is all I’m after. But then theres Nathan’s video showing the performance of his 3/16....
I just got back from a little hiking trip with the wife and kids. We rented one of the state park cabins (Hocking Hills). Hiked during the day - got to shower and sleep in a bed every night.
If we had been camping I would have taken my HDFK or FK2. Because we had the cabin I didn’t feel I needed anything that indestructible, so I took my DEK1. This was the first time I carried and used my DEK1 to any extent. I cleaned up a stick for my youngest to use as a walking stick/sword/rifle. Popped off some kindling from the fire wood to get the fire started - no batoning. And sliced up apples, meat, cheese and bread on the trail for a snack.
All of this to say that the DEK1 is slicer. It performed great at every task I put to it.
And that you might want to look at the DEK1.
I’ve carried the FK2 on a couple different multi day hikes as well. It has always performed flawlessly.
All that being said, you can’t really go wrong with any of CPK’s products. Because if it doesn’t work for you, you won’t have any problem selling it to reclaim your money.
You owe it to yourself to try one. There’s a reason “performance” is their middle name!

Nathan, on the "CPK Buy, Sell, Trade" thread you say: "if you post your authentic Conan the Barbarian collectors edition sword for sale (not a CPK related posting) I will edit your post to be about your My Little Pony collection and then I will mock you." That brought me great joy, as I was thinking or offering to trade my My Little Pony collection for a K18, and now you won't have to edit my post. :D

But seriously . . . how about a post offering one (or two) specific CPK knives for trade for a non-CPK item - or even a non-knife item (something perfectly legal, of course - just hard to find right now), or vice versa. That is, a trade offer involving CPK knives and something other than cash or other CPK knives. Asuming the poster (me) has a gold membership or above (I do). Is that permissible there? If not, does anyone know if it is permissible in any other subforum here at BF?

TIA!

Nathan, on the "CPK Buy, Sell, Trade" thread you say: "if you post your authentic Conan the Barbarian collectors edition sword for sale (not a CPK related posting) I will edit your post to be about your My Little Pony collection and then I will mock you." That brought me great joy, as I was thinking or offering to trade my My Little Pony collection for a K18, and now you won't have to edit my post. :D

But seriously . . . how about a post offering one (or two) specific CPK knives for trade for a non-CPK item - or even a non-knife item (something perfectly legal, of course - just hard to find right now), or vice versa. That is, a trade offer involving CPK knives and something other than cash or other CPK knives. Asuming the poster (me) has a gold membership or above (I do). Is that permissible there? If not, does anyone know if it is permissible in any other subforum here at BF?

TIA!

As long as a CPK is in the mix somewhere I think it's relevant.

Hi Nathan! Do you think a knife can be made in tungsten? What would be her inconvence and quality?

tungsten? Would probably be pretty miserable. Tungsten carbide perhaps? It would be very hard and brittle. There are lots of tungsten carbide cutting tools. They don't hold up well in a narrow edge that cuts well but they have great wear resistance in soft abrasive materials. Wear resistance does not equal edge retention. They're usually found in tools used in rigid setups for very controlled cutting parameters and relatively obtuse geometry.

Back