The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

My Onkyo is bravely holding on though some of the individual amps within are no longer functional after a very close lightning strike a year or two back destroyed four or five electronic components. (All of them being somewhat aged or otherwise covered, there was no point in making an insurance claim on my homeowner's policy.)

I can still use it for watching TV in Dolby D, and for music which can share the input...but it's definitely a wounded duck at this point.
I feel bad now.
I have a friend that owns a “high end” AV installation company. He does a lot of commercial installations, but most of his business is for fairly wealthy people at their homes. When his customers revamp their home theaters he hauls their old equipment off for them. It’s usually in full working order but they want the latest and greatest.
Earlier this spring I went and loaded up a bunch of stuff and brought it back to my town to give away to neighbors. I had three Onkyo and four Denon receivers. Five slim plasma TVs (hitachi, Samsung and Sony) a few Sony Bravia led TVs.
I kept a 55” tv because my family room is small.
And I was just down in your area recently. If I had only known.

I feel bad now.
I have a friend that owns a “high end” AV installation company. He does a lot of commercial installations, but most of his business is for fairly wealthy people at their homes. When his customers revamp their home theaters he hauls their old equipment off for them. It’s usually in full working order but they want the latest and greatest.
Earlier this spring I went and loaded up a bunch of stuff and brought it back to my town to give away to neighbors. I had three Onkyo and four Denon receivers. Five slim plasma TVs (hitachi, Samsung and Sony) a few Sony Bravia led TVs.
I kept a 55” tv because my family room is small.
And I was just down in your area recently. If I had only known.
No need to feel bad, though I certainly appreciate the sentiment...so, thank you for that.

I've been watching the same old 40" Sony Bravia in my viewing room for over 12 years now. And it still works pretty great overall, though it's only 1080P. (I think we sit about 7' or so from it...as I recall from when I set up my surround.)

I can afford new gear, but like my vehicles, I tend to keep my electronics for a long time. I just don't get the itch for the latest and greatest for some reason...though I can certainly appreciate the quality...such as it is.

I also read something recently which stated that 4K only makes a difference if you're viewing with a greater than 40" screen. (Which is probably everyone but us.)

I still have an old 32" Sharp TV from 2004 for watching the news and such while at the table. (I'm too lazy to replace it with something else that will fit its spot in the custom piece of furniture that houses it and my fairly extensive CD collection. 🤣

Thanks, sickpuppy1 sickpuppy1

Always good to have enablers in the house. 🤣

(7' is a guesstimate. I think my three front speakers range from 7 - 9 feet from the viewing area.)

I'll end up with something or other...but first I'll need to feel the "need". (Be nice if there were content worth viewing...that would help.)

At 7 feet, a 55" would be good. No bigger IMO we are at about 8' and it doesnt overwhelm at all. And not much is able to be broadcast in 4K so unless you are watching bluerays in 4k its not really an issue.
Ideal screen resolution is one of those highly individual things, but it can be assessed by accounting for various factors.

A) content/experience. Most folks don't particularly care how big the screen is or the resolution, simply for watching the news. As long as they can make out what's going on and read the blurbs, it's fine.

Other folks are looking to try to recreate the cinematic experience at home. Different goals will dictate different requirements.

B) your visual acuity.
1080p, 4k, 8k.... Doesn't really matter if someone's blind as a bat. Everything's a blur anyway. Now, IF your vision is pretty sharp, then the resolution only matters dependent on your seating distance to screen size ratio.

Even with the same visual acuity, resolution matters less to someone who prefers sitting further away. Ever gone to the movies with a bunch of people and some want to sit right up front, others want to sit all the way in the back, and most will be happy somewhere in the middle? That's a good way to understand the seating distance to screen width ratio (width, not diagonal, i.e. whether it's a letterbox format or IMAX, the seating distance to screen width ratio is the same).

Specifically for the movie experience, most folks prefer a seating position somewhere around the 1.25x- 1.5x screen widths away range. Fewer folks prefer getting closer than 1x (and most find 1x too close already), and most prefer to be no further than 1.75x screen widths away.

With that in mind, you can figure out how big of a screen you'd want for XX seating distance, and whether YOUR visual acuity is sharp enough to see individual pixels. At my preferred seating distance to screen size, I can see 1080p pixels. 4k is ideal.

8k (which is already being released) is pointless for me personally, because I can't see the 4k pixels in the first place. Smaller pixels aren't going to make a significant difference.

Are the scales on the Basic 5" Field Knife removable/exhangeable? I have no problem with this on any of the numerous other CPK knives I own. But I'm finding it extremely difficult to remove these fasteners - it's like they're loctited - and I don't want to gorilla-arm it if they're not supposed ot be removable. Please LMK. Thanks!

Are the scales on the Basic 5" Field Knife removable/exhangeable? I have no problem with this on any of the numerous other CPK knives I own. But I'm finding it extremely difficult to remove these fasteners - it's like they're loctited - and I don't want to gorilla-arm it if they're not supposed ot be removable. Please LMK. Thanks!
As far as I remember they are removable and FK2 scales fit them as Nathan said (correct me if Im wrong).
And if Im not wrong then this might help you out:
The screws on the left have red loctite, the screws on the right have blue, removable, loctite
The pins are frequently quite tight and often need to be tapped out with a small punch
Also:
It's the off side, opposite the Carothers mark, with removable loctite
And:
Yes, the short screw gets the red loctite. Sometimes it comes loose first anyways because it has less thread engagement. Particularly if you're turning from that side because the barrel can be pretty snug. If you look up into the barrel you should see some loctite still in there and it will be red on that side.

Back