The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

G Ghost coyote

Question:
When you used the Barkeeper's Friend, did you use it just in the tang to remove the surface rust you found under the scales, or did you wind up using it on the whole knife?

Wasn't 100% sure which, when you mentioned, "it stained the blade". If it's just stains on the tang, they won't be visible once the scales are back on (with my OCD, I'd just coat the tang with some type of protectant while the scales are off, then slap the scales back on).

If you used the BFr on the whole knife when the only surface rust was under the scales, well... I guess I'm curious to see pics of what the staining looks like. Only thing I've ever used BFr for is on porcelain sinks and to clean ceramic and diamond sharpening hones/plates.
I used it on the handle, but I used a toothbrush to give love and got done some paste on the blade.

Hi Nathan, in the Dek3, the sharpened swedge and the sharpened tip meet to form a continuous edge?And thank you for offering all these permutations and combinations which is probably a lot of trouble for you folks.

No, the double edged DEK3 will have three separate defined edged. It won't be a dagger ground, it will have the same profile as the single edge. A person will have a choice of having just the leading edge sharp, or the leading edge and spine (as Lorien designed it) or the leading edge, spine and clip. Sharpening that clip would work well as a weapon but it will be too fragile for any prying or stabbing into something hard.

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist - forgive the maybe silly question, but I wondered:

In your videos (e.g., on the BFK) you use a hammer to drive knives into nails, concrete, etc. What kind of hammer is that and how do the knife spines look like afterwards ?

Roland.

That's a 4 pound straight pien I made of 4150. The spines are usually mushed up a little bit from it. It smacks pretty hard.

I use an EDC to cut metal pallet banding sometimes and it has taken some chips on the spine from repeated hammering.

^ are you ever rude? Serious question!

ETA: your long detailed post with the embedded video and then the Houdini act edit signals to me that there will be a CPK-Sumptin4V.

Yeah sometimes. I have a personality disorder.

I probably won't be using 4V on future CPKs except future competition cutters. It's a nitche alloy that performs well in that application, but it rusts and if Matt Gregory can break it with his noodle arms it's not going to be optimal for upcoming projects. Cruwear on the other hand...

Ci0A0Il.jpg
Nathan will you be offering the combination acid wash on the flats and satin finish for the DEK3?

Nathan will you be offering the combination acid wash on the flats and satin finish for the DEK3?

I noticed the wording was different for those options on the DEK3 than the other two knives.

Usually it’s $50 for the acid wash, $125 for the satin finish, $150 for both options.

On the DEK3 listing, it said $50 for the acid wash, $150 for the satin, no wording combining them together so I figured it was just a mistake and it was left out.

I asked for both options on the DEK3 in my preorder email and figured I’d just see what Jo says in response when she gets to it. Now you’ve piqued my curiosity again!

I noticed the wording was different for those options on the DEK3 than the other two knives.

Usually it’s $50 for the acid wash, $125 for the satin finish, $150 for both options.

On the DEK3 listing, it said $50 for the acid wash, $150 for the satin, no wording combining them together so I figured it was just a mistake and it was left out.

I asked for both options on the DEK3 in my preorder email and figured I’d just see what Jo says in response when she gets to it. Now you’ve piqued my curiosity again!

Hmmm now I'm wondering if the knives are satin ground first before acid washed or the other way around 🤔

Thank you for highlighting that as I had blindly just assumed that there was such a combo option, hence requesting as such on my DEK3. Nathan may wish to chime in but I don't think that it was a mistake or an omission of sort. To me, this pattern is more intimate so it may well be an either / or option. Hmm, dang! I may now have to seek another AW DEK3. Nathan?!

Back