The Basic 5" Field Knife - Thoughts and Impressions

Pàdruig

Reap What You Sow
Platinum Member
Sorry, folks - I did not see a dedicated BFK thread, aside from sale threads and a couple of review ones. If there is such a thread and I missed it, please let me know and I will have this one merged.

In my mind, this knife feels a lot different than the FK2 - enough that I feel it warrants it's own thread for folks to share their thoughts, experiences, and the like. I wasn't going to get one of these knives at first, as I was certain that the FK2 fills that particular niche and does so superbly. However, the more I looked at pictures, the more I read of Nathan's thoughts and differing design elements - the more I looked at the BFK as being a separate knife and I figured that my modest assortment needed to have one in the mix.

I just got this one in today and I am happy that I decided to get one - I feel that my thoughts were affirmed and that it is indeed a knife that differs enough from the FK2 that it might be preferred or passed over depending on personal tastes.

I went with natural Micarta, versus the black that I normally favor, and it's nice to experience something different.

mQY2XLt.jpg

Aside from the obvious difference in the feel of the unbuffed canvas micarta versus the buffed linen on the FK2, the handles are pretty similar, despite the latter having more sculpting to it. I don't think I have a strong opinion one way or the other - as I think Nathan has mentioned, they are interchangeable and it's something I might play around with more later on.

mFq4h93.jpg

kvF8IlE.jpg

The real difference between the two knives is the blade. The BFK is longer and that additional length follows a trajectory that results in the blade seemingly having a perceivable downward (or forward) cant. Interestingly enough to me, this changes the entire feel of the knife over the FK2. Some field testing is in order, I think, but like its intended purpose, I may be more apt to use this more heavily than I would the FK2. The FK2 is a quintessential belt knife - a blade that I would use similar to a Kephart, doing camp kitchen work and light camp chores. The BFK seems well suited to more brutish work and might serve that niche in between the FK2 and the HDFK rather well - if one were to be seeking that, of course.

GxnWgV5.jpg

The differences are a bit difficult to capture but hopefully you can see what I am referring to when it comes to its cant.

AUO9Ujx.jpg

More of a closeup shot.

dTxhHwW.jpg

I am looking forward to putting this knife to more use but in conclusion for this evening, I would have to say that the BFK is a knife that I would be apt to throw on my hip for a lot of my outdoor choring - stuff that could be considered borderline knife abuse. Since the FK2 is a knife where I am more keen on preserving the integrity of its edge, it is a knife I would have at my side when hunting, fishing, or really any sort of outdoor activity that doesn't involve a lot of chopping, hacking, or cutting through stuff that could ding up the edge quite a bit.

It's a fine knife and I think it deserves a place in the CPK lineup. I hope this knife, and others that are being considered for this sort of price point, serve to be excellent sellers and even better knives to those that might use them.

Sláinte!

VsAC71M.jpg

Last edited:
Another great write up, thanks Dylan. You make it hard to not want one of these, but I just love the FK2 so much. But then if I get a BFK, I’m going to have to call Paul Long again, and yada yada. Oh man…first world problems 🤣🤣

Great write-up and comparison photos Pàdruig Pàdruig !

I share many of your thoughts on the BFK from not really being interested when they were first announced to deciding that it nicely fills it’s own niche between FK2 and the HDFK. Since I don’t hunt much anymore, I value the more pointy tip on the BFK over more belly on the FK2. I don’t mind the cost saving changes on the BFK at all. I don’t miss the hidden lanyard slot because I don’t use them on this size knife. No jimping and simpler handle shaping is still very comfortable and functional for my uses. The only thing not on the BFK I want is a swedge. I think that would look great with the pointy tip.

I decided I like the BFK well enough to buy a 2nd one and sell my back-up FK2. They are both great knives. The longer pointy blade on the BFK just speaks to me more between the two.

Phil

Last edited:
IMO, the BFK makes a good survival knife. Something light, good length and slim enough for a soldier to carry into the field. It will be able to handle anything that the soldier throws at it.

Based on aesthetics alone, I would pick the BFK over the FK2. But having an HDFK and a DEK1, figured I was covered and didn't need anything in between. But might try to grab one at some point.

The BFK has a simple grace in design that is shockingly difficult to find a flaw in. My first impression was it was nice, then you hold it. It’s the most comfortable knife I own. The forward canting is ideal with great leverage and knuckle clearance. The blade shape is excellent for most tasks. Overall I can’t say I am anything but impressed and curious. If the basic is this good there is a strong argument to find an EDC or DEK.

I like almost everything about the BFK. Before this knife the FK2 was my constant companion in the woods. It did everything I wanted a knife in that size to do and it cut extremely well. The BFK also fits this role. It is definitely indestructible. The only thing I would change on this knife is how thick the grind is behind the sharpened edge. It definitely leans more towards a survival knife with that thickness than what the FK2 is. To me it is definitely noticeable and can be felt when cutting. I understand the reasonings behind it but for me it still hasn’t bumped the FK2 off the top for that reason. If the blade thickness was around the same it wouldn’t even be a discussion. Just my own 2 cents on the topic.

I like almost everything about the BFK. Before this knife the FK2 was my constant companion in the woods. It did everything I wanted a knife in that size to do and it cut extremely well. The BFK also fits this role. It is definitely indestructible. The only thing I would change on this knife is how thick the grind is behind the sharpened edge. It definitely leans more towards a survival knife with that thickness than what the FK2 is. To me it is definitely noticeable and can be felt when cutting. I understand the reasonings behind it but for me it still hasn’t bumped the FK2 off the top for that reason. If the blade thickness was around the same it wouldn’t even be a discussion. Just my own 2 cents on the topic.

Aren't both knives .188" thick at ricasso and sharpened 20 DPS? Sorry, maybe I missed something.

The primary grind is 1/4 degree steeper (slightly more obtuse)
The edge is sharpened at 20 DPS, up from 18

Above is from the description of BFK vs FK2

And it's thicker behind the edge. It can cut a 1/4" bolt without much of a mark, the standard FK not so much. Obviously, the standard FK cuts better. They're somewhat different animals.
Ah, thanks, duly noted. The FK 2 details might be some good info to add to the encyclopedia thread entry. Not sure about others, but I refer to those details often.

Done. BTW, if I'm tagged in suggestions for the encyclopedia it ensures that I see them. I read most of what's posted in the forum, but not everything.

Good to know. Thanks AR-Trvlr AR-Trvlr for updating that so quickly!

Could you add the note about 18 DPS to the FK2 as well? Doesn't seem to be in the original entry, just the BFK which references it.

Back