The best multitool

DM

Joined
Mar 21, 2001
Messages
53
Just lost my Favurite posession my trusty victornox folding knife. Now Ive been looking at multitools to replace it, I was thinking of getting the new gerber legend, but after reading what some people in this forum said about it I'm having second toughts. Anyone have any ideas as to wich is a good choice for a multitool?
 
Joined
Aug 18, 1999
Messages
2,355
I'm fond of the leatherman pulse. It's just light enough to carry in your pocket. The blades lock. It has scissors but no saw. And it's a tough tool.

For hip carry, I'd go with the Leatherman supertool, Wave, or SAK multitool.

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM
 

shootist16

knife law moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 25, 1998
Messages
7,391
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hoodoo:
I'm fond of the leatherman pulse. It's just light enough to carry in your pocket. The blades lock. It has scissors but no saw. And it's a tough tool.

For hip carry, I'd go with the Leatherman supertool, Wave, or SAK multitool.

</font>
ditto



------------------
Dennis Bible

....Almost here, The Leading Edge....
http://www.theleadingedgeonline.com
 
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
1,190
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shootist16:
Originally posted by Hoodoo:
I'm fond of the leatherman pulse. It's just light enough to carry in your pocket. The blades lock. It has scissors but no saw. And it's a tough tool.

For hip carry, I'd go with the Leatherman supertool, Wave, or SAK multitool.

</font>
ditto


DITTO THAT DITTO! If you carry a Multi "in place of" a knife (gasp!!) You'll want to look at the Wave. If "in addition to" a knife (sigh of relief!!) any of aforementioned are great choices!

I'm new here myself but WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! I always wanted to say that!!
biggrin.gif




[This message has been edited by Jason Burns (edited 03-21-2001).]
 
Joined
Oct 12, 1998
Messages
2,036
I would go with the Pulse or wait for a Juice or a Supertool 200.

I carry a Pulse and a Victorinox Cybertool 29 and find this covers most bases. (and a small sebenza and a Sure-fire E1, but that is another thread)

------------------
Clay Fleischer
[email protected]
AKTI Member A000847
 
Joined
Jun 29, 1999
Messages
7,728
Love my Leatherman Supertool... the tools, but not the blades, as they ARE TOO D**NED SOFT TO HOLD A DECENT EDGE. Tough, maybe, but they're not cutlery steel.
 

DM

Joined
Mar 21, 2001
Messages
53
Everybody seems pretty geared towards leatherman, what about other manufacturers such as victornox, gerber etc ?
+ what about the locking mechanism for the pulse, it looks kinda strange in the pictures.
(thanks for the welcome by the way.)
 

DM

Joined
Mar 21, 2001
Messages
53
Hi again, just woke up here on the other side of the world ( Indonesia ).
First, thanks for the welcome Jason.
smile.gif


next , most contributers seem to only go with leatherman, what about the other brands such as victornox , gerber etc? nobody have anything good to say about them ?
 

DM

Joined
Mar 21, 2001
Messages
53
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CD Fleischer:
I would go with the Pulse or wait for a Juice or a Supertool 200.

I carry a Pulse and a Victorinox Cybertool 29 and find this covers most bases. (and a small sebenza and a Sure-fire E1, but that is another thread)

</font>

What is a juice ? and a supertool 2000? are they not in production yet as you say i have to wait for them ?
 
Joined
Jun 6, 2000
Messages
3,625
Toss up between my Swisstool and my LM Super Tool.

Or anything NOT made by Gerber...
wink.gif




------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!
 
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
1,190
What is a juice ? and a supertool 2000? are they not in production yet as you say i have to wait for them ?[/QUOTE]

Check out www.leatherman.com to see the new products . . . that will let you know what is on the horizon but I do not know how long it would take to become available in Indonesia!?!
eek.gif


 
Joined
Feb 6, 2000
Messages
3,021
Hi DM,
I've used the Victorinox SwissTool quite a bit. It is VERY sturdy and comforable. Some people would prefer longer pliars, but for me they are a perfect hybrid of toughness and precision. Not blunt nosed, not needle nosed. If I had to choose between all the multitools on earth, I'd choose the SwissTool. It's got all locking tools and blades, all the reviews have been great, and its simplicity and power have greatly impressed me.

Just my 2 cents.

By the way, I spent about four years in central Siluwesi (SP?), Indonesia. A little ole' town called Palu.
Now I call Kentucky home.
 
Joined
Feb 3, 2001
Messages
331
Honestly, buy what YOU like!
biggrin.gif
The Leathermans, SOG tools, Gerber Legend&600 series, Spyderwrench, Victorinox Swisstool, Wenger Swissgrip, Keshaw multitool, Buck tools, Schrade tough tool, ect... have all gotten very good recently. Pick one that has features that suit YOU.
biggrin.gif
Just make sure and buy a quality namebrand. My own personal favorite is the SOG powerlock as it seems to do everything well. It has scissors, 3-sided file, saw, screwdrivers, 1/4 inch drive bit adaptor so you can use your own sockets and drive bits, combo blade, ect... But the best part is the compound leverage and the handle covers let you turn the most stubborn fasteners. The Powerlock along with the Kershaw multitool and the Leatherman Crunch are great choices if you need to turn stubborn fasteners often. But these are just my favorites. Buy a quality multi-tool that suits YOU and enjoy it!
biggrin.gif
 
Joined
Jun 18, 2000
Messages
10,648
Go with the Gerber Pro-Scout. You will not be disappointed!
All of the tools lock, the lock is real simple to unlock, it is built very strong, just a flick-of-the-wrist and your pliers are ready, Fiskar scissors, an adaptor that lets you use any standard jig-saw blade (wood or metal). And the new Gerbers CANNOT pinch your hand while using the pliers (a problem with the old ones).
IMHO, there is only ONE con: you have to extend the pliers and open the handle to get to the other tools (but that only takes about 3 seconds).
I would'nt trade my Pro-Scout for any other multi-tool.
Closest runner-up: the Leatherman SuperTool.
 
Joined
Jan 5, 2001
Messages
2,726
Here is the progression I've followed over the years:

Leatherman PST (Pocket Survival Tool)
BuckTool
SOG PowerPlier
Leatherman SuperTool
Victorinox SwissTool
Gerber Legend (Multi-Plier 800)

In each case I switched because I liked the new one better than the one I had been carrying.

I started carrying a PST as soon as they first came out. It was kind of an "upgrade" to the Victorinox Champion I was carrying.

The BuckTool had a much more comfortable grip than the PST and it had locking tools.

The PowerPlier did, as its name implies, allow me to exert more force with the pliers. The tools did not lock, but I still felt that it was a significant improvement over the BuckTool.

The SuperTool was my first real heavy-duty multi-tool. And the tools locked. This was a big step forward. The cost was greater size and weight.

The SwissTool was the first multi-tool that met my long-time desire for locking tools that open while the pliers are closed. To my taste the design is almost perfect.

The Legend offers a somewhat more flexible set of tools than the SwissTool. As a bonus, the Legend is quite a bit lighter than the SwissTool.

Do you think I'm fickle?
smile.gif
Someday I will probably find something I like better than the Legend, but of all the multi-tools I have carried and examined the Legend is my top choice.

--Bob Q
 

DM

Joined
Mar 21, 2001
Messages
53
Originally posted by bquinlan:
Here is the progression I've followed over the years:

Leatherman PST (Pocket Survival Tool)
BuckTool
SOG PowerPlier
Leatherman SuperTool
Victorinox SwissTool
Gerber Legend (Multi-Plier 800)

In each case I switched because I liked the new one better than the one I had been carrying.

I started carrying a PST as soon as they first came out. It was kind of an "upgrade" to the Victorinox Champion I was carrying.

The BuckTool had a much more comfortable grip than the PST and it had locking tools.

The PowerPlier did, as its name implies, allow me to exert more force with the pliers. The tools did not lock, but I still felt that it was a significant improvement over the BuckTool.

The SuperTool was my first real heavy-duty multi-tool. And the tools locked. This was a big step forward. The cost was greater size and weight.

The SwissTool was the first multi-tool that met my long-time desire for locking tools that open while the pliers are closed. To my taste the design is almost perfect.

The Legend offers a somewhat more flexible set of tools than the SwissTool. As a bonus, the Legend is quite a bit lighter than the SwissTool.

Do you think I'm fickle?
smile.gif
Someday I will probably find something I like better than the Legend, but of all the multi-tools I have carried and examined the Legend is my top choice.

Hi Bob , No don't think you are fickle, just looking for the best , as am I. But regarding the legend, i read somewhere else in this forum that the plier grip is very wide apart, do you find this a problem, also other complaints about the ergometrics and quality see http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002353.html
what do you think of their complaints?


 
Joined
Jan 5, 2001
Messages
2,726
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DM:
Hi Bob , No don't think you are fickle, just looking for the best , as am I. But regarding the legend, i read somewhere else in this forum that the plier grip is very wide apart, do you find this a problem, also other complaints about the ergometrics and quality see http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002353.html
what do you think of their complaints?
</font>

The plier handles are further apart than on most multi-tools, but it seems to me that they are about the same as on my regular pliers.
smile.gif
My hands are about average (I wear "medium" gloves) and I have not had any problem with them. On the other hand, I tend to work more on electronics than cars, so I may just not encounter as many large components as some. I'd have to call this one inconclusive.

Other than that I *like* the ergonomics of the Legend. The handles are by far the most comfortable of any multi-tool I have used and the kraton inserts provide a secure grip. The tools are easy to get in and out. The locking mechanism is solid but still easy to release with one hand in a natural position. And I like the "quick-draw" blade and scissors.

Maybe there are QC issues and I got lucky, but I've put my Legend through a lot of heavy use without a hint of complaint. The scissors, in particular, are the toughest I've seen on any multi-tool.

This is obviously one of those cases where individual tastes and experiences differ. My wife and I have both been carrying the Legend since it was relesaed last year and we both love 'em!

--Bob Q

[This message has been edited by bquinlan (edited 03-22-2001).]
 

DM

Joined
Mar 21, 2001
Messages
53
Thanks for everbodys input, especially you Bob. I have almost made up my mind, it stands between the Leatherman pulse and the gerber legend. The pulse is lighter, but I must say I'm leaning towards the legend with all the tools accessible and a one hand opening for the knife.
Anybody bought anything from toptexknives (75.50 $)? are they reliable or is the cutleryshoppe a better bet (81.60 $) both plus approx 16 $ postage. ?
 
Joined
Mar 25, 1999
Messages
526
Hi DM,

Good luck with your choice. I currently carry a Leatherman Wave or a Supertool, and I'm pleased with both (a different tool for a different occasion). This coming two weeks, my PST, PST II, SAK tool, Spyderwrench, Pulse, Bucktool, (yup, I buy most of them, got a soft spot for multitools) along with some knives come from the US. You might want to check and see them in the flesh before deciding on one. I don't have a Gerber Legend though.

PS. Cuttlery Shoppe is nice, I bought one or two knives from them while I was in the States. Not so sure about international ordering though (Indonesian Customs might be tricky).
 
Top