The best multitool

Will the new Super Tool 200 have the same locking system the current Super Tool does?
I think it's the biggest problem with the Super Tool.
Leatherman should find a better lock, I hate pulling another tool up just to unlock the one I'm using.

cpirtle

Leathercrafter
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
If you are looking for an awesome case for the Swiss Tool (I thought the factory one was weak) you can purchase a Bianchi model SW39 .45 cal Clip Pouch. (~$20)

Oil tanned leather, heavy duty spring steel clip, very sturdy. At fist I didn't like the expsed top but once I was used to it I actually like it better. The fit is tight enough to prevent tool from falling out.

When I'm not using it I can carry a spare clip in it for my Kimber.

------------------
"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Allen -- The Supertool 200 uses the same lock mech as the Pulse. Very nice -- much better than the old one...

------------------
Clay Fleischer
[email protected]
AKTI Member A000847

I go virtually everywhere with my Leatherman Wave either on my hip or within easy reach.

One of these days I'll add a Micra to my key chain, I imagine.

I'm with the Gerber boys. I don't care for sheaths and the smaller Gerber does the job for me. I carry the Pro Scout because it's small enough to fit in my pocket comfortably, yet has everything I need on it. Yesterday I was putting a large light fixture back on in a lady's bathroom and was having a hell of a time holding up the fixture with one hand and trying to get the threaded nipple through the hole. Out came the Gerber and I finally managed to get that damned nipple through and the nut socked home.

------------------
Peter Atwood

email: [email protected]

I'm with johnniet on this one.I bought a gerber multi plier for use as a firefighter.Lets say we needed to remove a switch plate while on a job for an electrical problem.Someone would would say "who's got a screwdriver" I would reach into my pocket take it out of the sheith unfold it,and by then someone else already had a screwdriver out and was working on the screws.Or we would need to shut off a gas line,same thing by the time it was out and unfolded someone with regular pliers was already at work on it.

Now I carry a small Robo-grip and one of those screwdrivers with the differant size bits in the handle.Cost for both about $15,faster and better tools to use.

This is what works for ME,if I had to carry tools on my belt,or would be far away from real tools and needed more varity then a Wave would be nice.

I tend to use the screwdrivers on my Cybertool more than the ones on my Leathermans. They are easier to get out and I have several size options for each type of screwdriver. On the Leathermans, the pliers, scissors, and file (and saw on the Wave) are most important.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
[email protected]
AKTI Member A000847

I like the Leatherman SideClip. Sturdier than the Micra and not as bulky as the Wave. It offers the basic tools and clips to your pocket or whatever. I like to keep it simple (IMO, most multi-tools contain redundant or rarely needed/used implements).

Well, I am back to the Pulse from the Wave. 2 mains reasons:

1) Fighting with a tough phillipshead, my Wave folded up on me. I would like to note that this is only the 2nd time in almost 3 years of service (I think -- when did they come out -- I got this one that week). So their "offset" screwdriver works pretty well.

2) The Wave is a thick little bugger and noticeably larger on the ol' belt.

The Wave is now in the Glove Compartment of my truck.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
[email protected]
AKTI Member A000847

Silly question: If you were looking to replace a knife for utility purposes with either the Legend or the Wave (must have a 1-hand opening blade), which would you pick?

As I see it, the Wave is heavier, has poor steel, & only four tools lock.

The Legend has poor plier ergonomics but otherwise outshines the Wave, at least from what I'm seeing here. Any feedback welcomed (FWIW, I'm currently have a deluxe Scout Multi-Lock--a decent tool but I'd like a blade I can open without opening the whole tool).

The Legend.
I think it beats out the Wave since you can use any jig-saw blade in the adaptor and you can replace the wire-cutter blades.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fountainman:
Yesterday I was putting a large light fixture back on in a lady's bathroom and was having a hell of a time holding ..... I finally managed to get that damned nipple through and the nut socked home.

</font>

I'm sure that that innuendo was deliberate, ladies, nipples and nuts -- you dog!!
smile.gif

SBD
smile.gif

I can't speak to the Legend's usefulness, but the Wave is a good tool. I think shootist16 had a review of the Legend somewhere around here. Will see if I can find it.

------------------
Clay Fleischer
[email protected]
AKTI Member A000847

eda-koppo,

If your main priority is a quality knife blade that can be opened with one hand, you'll find none better than the Spyderco Spyderench among multi-tools. I don't know if the Spyderench's other implements will fit your needs, but the blade itself is good enough to make this tool worth a look.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
Stop when you get to bone.