The Bushfinger thread

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Bmurray, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Bmurray

Bmurray Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Thanks to Mist's for posting his awesome thread. Let's honor the Bushfinger.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. Luca917

Luca917

Jan 10, 2016
    Bob,
    I want that.

3. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I suppose a Bushfinger thread should probably include the original prototype, and I'll add a pic of and the version that actually went into making that I borrowed from Bill when I did the piece on Fiddlebaxk Forge for SRI back in 2013

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then a couple of pics of the one I have now :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  4. adequacy

adequacy

Mar 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

5. schmittie

schmittie Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    After fd'ing a buck....

[​IMG]

(Wish I would have kept my original bushfinger.)

Clean:

[​IMG]

Used the next one to skin out this doe

[​IMG]

Man, I gotta get some deer this season!

6. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Nice shots Schmittie. I remember all of them as they came along while I was looking forward to playing with a newer model.

7. KP

KP

Oct 24, 2011
    [​IMG]

8. Luca917

Luca917

Jan 10, 2016
    Completely love that osage bolstered...

9. Tim the Wizard

Tim the Wizard Street Samurai Gold Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Here is one :D

[​IMG]

10. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    If you're talking about the proto, it was black bolstered natural canvas. It darkened over time with use. That said, the bolstered Osage ones do indeed look awesome!

I still remember groaning as that one slipped by and I couldn't do anything about it. I love the lighter/brighter green box elder handles.

11. Odaon

Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    I actually prefer the prototype with the Ladyfinger handle to the final version. Not that I don't like the current iteration, just saying if I had to pick between the two I'd pick the proto.

The Bushfinger is definitely on my "acquire" list. Maybe someone will trade me a used Production one for my old school production Recluse. ;)

12. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    If you prefer that handle in use, everyone has their own prefs, I'd just stick with the Ladyfinger in most use then. There was very little difference between those two in feel actually. I wouldn't have minded a little less drop to the point, more like the original, for skinning game but I'm good with it as is really.

13. Odaon

Odaon

Apr 13, 2009
    I just really like the lines on the Ladyfinger, obviously, so I'm a little biased. I'm sure the current version is awesome and I definitely plan on getting one, maybe a scandi one. If I were to trade for a production version it would end up living in my vehicle probably.

14. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Yeah, my production Kephart lives in my truck on my water bottle kit. One of the big reasons I love the CPM S35VN for livining in a high humidity environment.

15. Tim the Wizard

Apr 21, 2012
    I tried my best to make the S35VN Bushfinger rust, even going so far as to submerge it in the Atlantic Ocean and then putting it in a sheath in a glovebox for several days. No luck...

[​IMG]

It is actually submerged in this next pic.

Maybe the only Fiddleback to have been thrown in the ocean?!?

[​IMG]

It came back to me though. This is why they call it stonewashed.

[​IMG]

16. Tim the Wizard

Apr 21, 2012
    Steve's BF is still my favorite. Old School glow powder phenolic handle and CPM154. I put a new edge on it for him and haven't seen it since...

[​IMG]

17. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    I know exactly what you mean. It was three months in south Florida with two knives made of cryo-quenched CPM S35VN and a few in 1095, and two in O-1, that made me a HUGE fan of the S35. It's my all around favorite steel for a knife in this size range, and I own several of them for my work now.

18. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. DavidLim

DavidLim

Jul 28, 2016
    My very first Fiddleback.:D
    IMG_2422.jpg

20. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Man those twig handles are so cool. I wish I could land a cool one with that handle material for the shot(s) concerning Rdagast the Brown. I think it would be perfect for him :)