The Carbon & Tool Steel Thread

herisson

Apple slicing rocking chair dweller
I have so many... I don't want to clutter this thread. If you like the knife, go for it. Carbon steel is no down, it's even a plus if you consider some factors. Keep it clean and dry, you'll be golden. And you'll have a razor in your pocket, errr... in your drawer !

Last edited:

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
What's the the bottom knife in your pic called? I like

That is an LT Wright rogue river, exclusive to Knives ship free if you're talking about the bottom knife in the bottom pic, which I think you are.

wxgVmNa.jpg

Had this condor way before it got popular on the tube. It's my 2018 knife, YouTube's 2019 :cool:

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Love the 2nd pic. Some 01. Who made that one?

Ha, that one's mine. My design, made by JK knives. That's the prototype/personal knife. They'll be available for sale at the end of the month. My more pocket skinner oriented model should be arriving tomorrow. Also in O1 tool steel.

A Phil Wilson Southfork in K390 at 63 Rc. The edge width is 0.007 inches. Amazing slicer. But it does tarnish.

2v2HJh2yqxAWtWs.jpg

That's a real sexy slicer! No doubt, you're not afraid to use it on food.

What do you use to keep it oiled? Have you tried coconut oil?

I find it's great and is the majority ingredient in frog lube, which consistently tests well against corrosion.

Twindog

Gold Member
That's a real sexy slicer! No doubt, you're not afraid to use it on food.

What do you use to keep it oiled? Have you tried coconut oil?

I find it's great and is the majority ingredient in frog lube, which consistently tests well against corrosion.

I just use mineral oil, which I have to use on my end-grain cutting boards.