The Carothers 6" Utility Fighter

Does anyone have a UF here with both Ebonite and Terotuf scales to compare gripiness?

I agree with @fonedork, Terotuf feels very grippy. However, I think Nathan said he wouldn’t recommend it if you’re going to be processing game, because the blood would get into the cavities and would be hard to remove. Unbuffed burlap is pretty grippy too, but I think unbuffed canvas is tougher. I recall something about not exposing Ebonite to direct sunlight for extended periods of time. Ebonite looks real nice, but it might not be very tough. The double black unbuffed canvas looks pretty good, and should be grippy, tough, and not absorb blood.

Last edited:
I agree with @fonedork, Terotuf feels very grippy. However, I think Nathan said he wouldn’t recommend it if you’re going to be processing game, because the blood would get into the cavities and would be hard to remove. Unbuffed burlap is pretty grippy too. But I think unbuffed canvas is the toughest. I think I recall something about not exposing Ebonite to direct sunlight for extended periods of time. Ebonite looks real nice, but it might not be very tough. The double black unbuffed canvas looks pretty good, and should be grippy, tough, and not absorb blood.

This won’t be for anything to do with handling game so that should be alright. Looking for the best carry combo I think is what I should have said*

Yeah I think you did say it would be your EDC. Apologies for a I little bit of overkill on my part.

I really wanted to go with a Spartan V14 but the price was right on the UF and realistically it will get used more. Something about them daggers though...

ETA: has anyone gotten a taco style kydex rig done? Would be great with a good pocket type clip

Last edited:
Luvin my new streaky freaky UF!:thumbsup::)

FN9YPrb.jpg

Yeah I agree Mark, the new new finish is looking realy nice. And it's got a great edge at 15 dps, Marion did an excellent job on it. I also love the antique micarta scales. Thanks Jo!

Gus, did you send it out to be re-profiled?

Really diggin' those freaky-streaky handle scales. I hope to be successful today in landing one for myself :thumbsup:

No Mat, it was sharpened to 15 dps at CPK upon request. They can’t do it on the DEFs because they have a more obtuse grind. Good luck today!:thumbsup:;)

Ah I see. I didn't know that there was a CPK-Marion!

Thank you Sir for the well wishes for today. If it doesn't happen today, hopefully sometimes before the 100 or so which are slated for Fridays sales completely run out for the old fuhrt Unc. Mat-Matty :D

Hello to all CPK fans!
This is my first CPK knife and I can surely tell it's not the last one. I love this blade - perfect fit and finish, perfect balance, light but sturdy and the handle is so comfortable!
Excellent blade!
Thank you Nathan and Jo for all the help and your willingness to ship it to Poland! (I've already started saving up for the HDFK ...and the EDC.... and the light chopper ;-))

itQB9xE.jpg

Hello to all CPK fans!
This is my first CPK knife and I can surely tell it's not the last one. I love this blade - perfect fit and finish, perfect balance, light but sturdy and the handle is so comfortable!
Excellent blade!
Thank you Nathan and Jo for all the help and your willingness to ship it to Poland! (I've already started saving up for the HDFK ...and the EDC.... and the light chopper ;-))

itQB9xE.jpg

Welcome :) Always glad to see a new face around here :thumbsup:

Don't mean to be a party pooper but just FYI, the Light Chopper and the HDFK patterns are currently in the "retired" status and the EDC will probably make a transition to another iteration unless it also remains retired. You can always try to snag one on the secondary market for a premium though.

Glad to see you over here, I was just thinking about Beautiful Poland today, and hoping you were doing well:)
Congratulations on your new CPK!!

Hello to all CPK fans!
Excellent blade!

itQB9xE.jpg

Just got this one in. Side by side with my current fightery ish knife. Definitely a little smaller handle than I was thinking (plus I am used to the MC/HDFK types now) but the weight and balance are spot on. The classic grip for this type (being forefinger and thumb as the main grip and wrapping the remaining fingers around the handle) feels good and reversing the grip is great as well.
I may still swap it for a dedicated dagger but definitely a cool blade overall and being lightweight as it is makes for a good carry option.

EA33C764-C884-41B1-A221-04E19307E35C.jpeg

Back