The Case for the Trapper

This is the first in a series of posts that I thought I would write. One of my favorite things to do is read a post about a knife design here that rekindles my interest in that kind of knife. Years ago, a similar article got me interested in Swiss Army Knives and now my extensive collection is proof positive of how much I love these knives. I hope you enjoy and look forward to hearing your own stories!

The Case for the Trapper -

Roughly a century ago (ok, I am not sure exactly when) the Trapper came to be. No one is sure exactly when, who made the first or any significant details, but this particular knife became as much a knife pattern representing America as the Stockman or Bowie knife.

The Trapper is, of course, a design with two equally sized blades consisting (usually) of a main clip point blade and a long spey blade. Trappers were the intended benefactors of the eponymous knife that would be well suited for the first line of the fur industry by providing a knife with a general utility blade (the clip point) AND a spey blade that would be well suited to removing a critter's hide without the danger of a keen point that would be more likely to puncture the valuable skin. Whether that is the usual use of this knife or not, the design had a specific purpose but was found to be a handy design for a multitude of tasks.

I grew up with a father who ran actual trap lines. Despite this fact, his preferred knife was the Stockman. However, I have always had an affinity for the Trapper. I know there are a lot of knife fans that feel two blades of equal length do not serve a purpose for them, but for me, a long slicey blade has always been appreciated. I personally like any knife that can serve as well in the kitchen as it can in the woods. In fact, it is often a major part of my evaluation of a knife's usefulness to me.

Needless to say, the Trapper fills this role with aplomb. I love having a clip point blade for all the everyday tasks that I might need to perform, but I find the spey blade is a wonderful tool in the kitchen, processing meat, cutting fruit, peeling vegetables, slicing, dicing and any chores that a dull “pot steel” kitchen knife fails to do well.

For processing game, the clip point and spey blades are an amazing combination. The advantage of a long spey blade, versus the stockman spey, is readily apparent when processing deer sized game where the extra length in the blade helps increase one's reach. Cutting a large roast sized chunk of venison ham is the work of a longer blade. Yes, a good fixed blade is handy for that purpose, but as survival logic often tells us...the best knife in the world is the one you have on you when you need it the most.

I have a few Trappers of various brands. One of the most popular (at least if volume has any say in it) is Case Knives. It appears the Trapper is the flag ship of Case and the handle varieties they offer is staggering. There are so many Case handle options, one can get a knife that speaks to them personally if they so desire.

In my collection I also have a Camillus 717 Yello-Jacket Trapper that I revere. This knife was given to me by someone who found it (I feel sad for the original owner who lost this knife) and I quickly found that I really love the clip point geometry and have found the blade steel reminds me of the steel used in the Buck 110 quite a bit. It feels good in the hand without being too large for daily carry.

Probably my favorite Trapper though, is my AG Russell Dogleg Trapper in VG10. There are so many things I love about this knife that I could write a lone article on its usefulness and utility. The edge angles are amazing and the edge it takes is nothing short of scary sharp. It isn't a cheap Trapper variety, but I have never regretted spending the extra dollars on it.

I could go on and on about the Trapper, ways it has served me, my daily tasks with this knife and all the brands one could potentially collect, but I wanted to open up to other Trapper fans and owners to get their thoughts and feelings on this knife variety. Keep em sharp and keep cutting!

Here is a few of my Trappers:
(Clockwise from the left) - AG Russell Dogleg Trapper, Case Red Jigged Bone Trapper, Rough Rider Locking Mini Trapper Custom Purple Dyed Smooth Bone, Camillus Yello-Jacket in Yellow Delrin, Rough Rider Fat Boy Trapper in Yellow Delrin.
WJQRoBY.jpg

While the trapper is not an ideal carry for me I love the looks of them. In my mind it doesnt get more iconic than a Case trapper in yellow delrin with blackened blades. Seen quite a few of those back in my childhood and I'll always have a soft spot for them.

I have to agree with many of your points, while they are a bit big/hefty for some. It's one of the few "true" traditionals that don't have killer (nail-breaking backsprings) from Case. And I've come to really appreciate how versatile the clip blade is and how good of a slicer the spey is.

When I first got into traditional knives, I did not care for the Trapper pattern. It was too big, and the spey blade was useless (said I, to myself, in those days). I did like the single-blade Case Slimline Trapper (and still do), which makes a wonderful fruit cutter when away from the kitchen.

But the Case Trappers were so ubiquitous, and I didn't have one, and more importantly to me at the time, I did not have a Case in their Pocket Worn Old Red bone. So, killing 2 birds with one stone, I bought this:
View attachment 803139

To shorten a long story, it has become one of my two favorite "big" pocket knives - the other being the Case 6375 Large Stockman. Case's hollow grind really shines when combined with a tall (edge to spine) blade, resulting in a real laser of a slicer. And they really do an extra good job of it on that spey blade. The clip is pretty slicey as well, but just a little sturdier. It makes a great combo. I have no need to skin any critters but it makes a for a great portable food prep knife. I dare say the spey would make a passable turkey carving blade.

Although I am not a big fan of the pattern, I do own three trappers. The one that gets used is the ugliest of the three, a Frost Steel Warrior in a putrid shade of red that earned it an entry in an ugly knife thread that appeared here a couple of years back.

It gets used because I can spread the cream cheese on my bagel with the big spey blade. It sits on my desk and is always ready at hand, but it is too big and ugly to carry.

I still miss my Case CV yella trapper. Long clip blade, and a straight blade for rough cutting (everyone homes in on the spey's blunted tip ..... but I just consider it a straight blade, perfect for cutting cordage, fuzz sticks, and ANYTHING where a pointy tip isn't needed). What's not to like? Too large? That's where the mini comes in.

-- Mark

My Case trapper was the second US knife I bought because it was one of the few available here and at a very reasonable price. I used her a lot until I found I prefer shorter knives, 3 5/8 nearing perfection imho.
I was also a tad disappointed by the jigged delrin, much less pleasant in hand than smooth delrin, as I learned when I received a yellow mini Trapper with beer opener from Randy @rredden. Less a Trapper but still one of my best pocket knife.
I won a chestnut brown mini in a GAW from Barrett (@btb01) and this is to me the perfect sized Trapper. Of course I rarely deal with game (though there's a lot of rabbits living on the roundabouts and foxes have followed the railway lines downtown).
Finally Will sent me a wharncliff mini - different again - an excellent slicer.

The one that came first, Sparxx
Trapper-Sparx.jpg

The wonderful surprises :
Mini-Trappers.jpg

Just yesterday I was at the local knife store and was admiring several trappers: one each Case in CV and Tru-sharp, another I've forgotten the brand, and a Schrade USA (pre-2004). I'm still considering the Schrade because I like the way they ground their blades and the edge they take. The trouble is, I find the trapper just a bit too big and heavy for my tastes. If I bought the Schrade it'd most likely just be a "safe queen," and what's the fun in that? I'd probably like a slimline trapper if I ever had a chance to try one. Lately I've been getting into single-blade knives.

I have a Rough Rider trapper that is quite nice. I bought it mostly as a first experience with the brand rather than because I wanted a trapper. However, I can't seem to find a use for it in my rotation so for now I'm keeping it in my truck as a "backup" for whatever might arise, including serving as a slicer and spreader during an impromptu picnic.

The mini trapper is a more convenient size, I think, and swapping out the spey for a Wharncliffe makes it even more appealing to me. I found one at a big Case dealer near Fort Wayne while traveling this summer and it is one of my favorites. I bought it more for the Wharncliffe blade than for the trapper pattern. (I do realize that once you shrink the trapper and replace the spey blade you've moved pretty far from the original concept, though. o_O)

36067557234_ac050c15a3_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, Ace...I agree with you all the way. I love the fact that the mini trapper makes this a knife for a larger audience. I also have a single blade mini trapper with a Wharncliffe blade (ok..not a trapper at all at this point) and I love that blade. Looking at adding a two blade model with a Wharncliffe blade soon. It just goes to show how versatile this line of knives can be!

I like the trapper pattern. But to me the biggest downfall, at least in my use, is the two blades with bellies. I have the same issue with the muskrat and bull moose patterns. Granted, i understand that many folks need the two similar yet different blade shapes. When you modify it and toss a wharncliff in, then it’s about spot on perfect pattern for me. Granted, I still stick to my stockman patterns cause of what I grew up with, but I have to admit that if I needed to choose a single knife to go with me forever (please no!) then a modified (or improved) trapper would be right at the top of that list.

SVTFreak SVTFreak add a wharncliffe (like Tony and Reese did years ago) and it makes the pattern more useful for me. I suspect very few folks actually use trapper patterns for skinning or fleshing out hides anymore.

I like the Trapper pattern myself, although I'm not a fan of the spey blade. For my everyday tasks it wouldn't/doesn't get used. That said, I prefer a Wharncliffe secondary blade or a single clip blade. I tend toward the single blade most days because it makes the knife slimmer and more comfortable to carry in my pocket. Since I always have another knife, lately a Peanut with a Wharncliffe secondary, I always have that straight edge available to me.
Here's a few of mine.
This Case/Bose is a great knife but at 3.5 oz it's heavier then I like.
FPavcBx.jpg

This Shadow Trapper from John Lloyd is my constant companion. Slim and light, even at a 4" length, it does most everything I could ask for and looks good doing it.
7yijO7R.jpg

This little one, at 3 1/4", from Joel Chamblin used to see a lot of pocket time. It still gets carried but not as much.
6aEARxR.jpg

Nice idea for a thread.

I like trappers but I really like the improved trappers with a wharn and clip.

I do EDC a boker trapper in cocobolo and 1095 around the house, however, using the clip for dirty tasks and the spey for food. My AG Russell sowbelly trapper is a nice blade but I don't carry it often as it's a bit of a beast to carry but would make a great hunting knife with two big blade options.

I will admit, I've become a bit more of a fan for muskrat knives since they seem a little slimmer in hand and I'm not a huge fan of the spey point outside of food prep and any blade with belly works fine for food the small amount of food prep I put folders through. The red bone AG Russell Muskrat with clip and wharn is what I EDC for a small knife around the office.

a0dLlFmm.jpg

uvfqHxzm.jpg

ZBEKy4Wm.jpg

OnSMpgNm.jpg

WZgPAeGm.jpg

Different blade shapes and their intended uses alongside makers interpretations have interested me. Above all, I imagine, the trapper will need to prep a beast of some kind so will need a good belly.

Different trappers from Bill Ruple and Ray Cover

2lj3ton.jpg

30rxnj4.jpg

The Case 6254W improved trapper is gets my vote by far. If you prefer a slimmer, more pocketable single blade20171125_111529.jpg 20171125_112547.jpg trapper, I highly recommend this "ez open" version which is exclusively made for one of the largest Case retailers around. Very handy and practical edc.

Last edited:
Different blade shapes and their intended uses alongside makers interpretations have interested me. Above all, I imagine, the trapper will need to prep a beast of some kind so will need a good belly.

Different trappers from Bill Ruple and Ray Cover
I really like those Ruples, Skirmish.
Here's a couple from Don Morrow. I believe Don learned the slip joint craft from Bill Ruple.
These both have some tough pulls, around 8, which keeps me from using them very often. Wonderfully crafted knives though.
rmNYope.jpg

ENrjR8k.jpg

I really like those Ruples, Skirmish.
Here's a couple from Don Morrow. I believe Don learned the slip joint craft from Bill Ruple.
These both have some tough pulls, around 8, which keeps me from using them very often. Wonderfully crafted knives though.

Gary those Morrow's are spotless. Lovely work. I will look to add one of his knives to the collection. I see Bills influence with the file work and blade grind.

2dgpysi.jpg

Peregrin Peregrin one of my friends had a really nice single blade from Don Morrow, pulls were way too heavy for me. Beautiful builds though. Don is still making knives.

I do like trappers, too, but not so much the current standard 4¼" or the 3½" mini-trapper. The one that works for me is the 3⅞" size that GEC and Bulldog have made. Here's one of each. I do agree that they are improved with a straight-edged secondary instead of the spey.

sXllE0i.jpg

bXYtEFn.jpg

Back