The Case for the Trapper

@SVTFreak add a wharncliffe (like Tony and Reese did years ago) and it makes the pattern more useful for me. I suspect very few folks actually use trapper patterns for skinning or fleshing out hides anymore.

Probably not many, but a few of us still do.

It is my favorite pattern.

I prefer the old Schrade Walden trappers.

They are the perfect size for me, between Case's Mini Trapper and Large Trapper.

And that old Schrade 1095 in those thin blades takes a wicked edge, and cuts like a laser.

Love the pictures. I have sentimental attachment to this pattern.

A Case Trapper was the first knife I bought for myself with my own money. I don't remember the year, but I was a youngster, bought it with birthday money in a sporting goods store in Orlando. It would have been sometime in the early 70's, or maybe '70 or '71. I carried it all through school (yes, back in those days) and all through college, and for several years out of college. Still have it, but don't carry it now.

Trappers are what got me into traditional knives in the first place. I bought 5 identical yeller mini trappers from Case for myself and my groomsmen when I got married.

Looks wise, the trapper remains my favourite pattern. There is just something very beautiful the way the handle swoops and rounds over at the end. But I never carry mine. The two blades of similar profIle and length I find redundant. The spey blade is near useless for me. Either give me a single blade or two blades very different from one another. A large clip and small coping blade would be heaven. Lord if someone could give me a large sized peanut...
But then I suppose it would be a jack and no longer a trapper.

Trappers are a nice pattern, I'm partial to toting these two.

The remington bullet trappers (which the gec 73 and 23 are copied after) are some of the most appealing knives in my opinion. The real deal remington 1123 is a hoss of a knife. Very expensive though, so it's a good thing gec makes affordable copies.

IMG_3432.JPG
IMG_2633.jpg

Delrin
ZNPPoOB.jpg

Ivory
IV254-1.jpg

I use to be a die-hard stockman guy, but I am using a Case yellow CV trapper more and more.

I catch a lot of bluegills spring thru fall and the trapper is what I use to fillet these tasty morsels.

A guy allows us to hunt his property in a neighboring county, that is a CWD containment area. We cannot transport any part of the skull or backbone to our home, only boned out meat. We skin the deer right where they fall, without even gutting them. We put the quarters,loins,etc. into game bags and take to the house. The trapper is perfect for this task and makes short work of it.

My daughter used a Case amber bone mini-trapper to field dress and skin her buck this past week.

So, I rest my case for the trapper

The Trapper, specifically Case's #54 Trapper is my favorite traditional pattern. I've used them to clean catfish, process game, on the job site, around the yard and in the kitchen. They are comfortable in the hand and fairly easy to carry.
I find them pleasing to the eye and ive always felt like i had plenty of knife when carrying one. Ive always been suprised that Trappers weren't more popular and it pleases me to see others speak well of my favorite pattern.
A four layer sak and a Case Trapper was my edc for several years. Im really not sure why I complicated things and switched it up.

Hello all, new guy here and very first post. I LOVE this thread. Nice knives ! I chose to make this thread my first to post in as I just received my first Trapper ever this week. A Case in Orange persimmon bone SS. Ordered it early to inspect it first for my upcoming 50th b-day near New year. Carried Shrade Stockmans since 14, still have them. SAKs this past year. Just dressed a Squirrel today with my Pioneer. Got turned on to the Trapper pattern recently watching an outdoors related video. It just makes sense for those of us who hunt, fish, camp, cook and just plain enjoy knives. Now I somehow have to keep my paws off mine until January....

The only trapper I own is one I put together myself from a Rough Rider parts kit. I really like the idea of a trapper on paper, I like multiblade knives where I have one general use blade and one that I keep fresh for select use. But the standard trapper IMO is too big. I daily carry a Buck 110 so it's not the in-pocket length that bothers me, it's that the blades are too long for a slipjoint, I feel like they have too much leverage against their own springs if that makes sense.

Also, for gutting fish and skinning game I prefer shorter blades, somewhere around 2.5". A 3" trapper would be just about right for the inteneded purpose for me, but the full size trapper makes a great lunch knife!

Yes, I know they make lots of different sized trappers but at this point I don't really NEED any more knives and I have to wait until I run across a screaming deal in order to justify buying something "just because".

voU6OWO.jpg

Hello all, new guy here and very first post. I LOVE this thread. Nice knives ! I chose to make this thread my first to post in as I just received my first Trapper ever this week. A Case in Orange persimmon bone SS. Ordered it early to inspect it first for my upcoming 50th b-day near New year. Carried Shrade Stockmans since 14, still have them. SAKs this past year. Just dressed a Squirrel today with my Pioneer. Got turned on to the Trapper pattern recently watching an outdoors related video. It just makes sense for those of us who hunt, fish, camp, cook and just plain enjoy knives. Now I somehow have to keep my paws off mine until January....

I'd like to see a picture of that knife! I think the orange persimmon bone is very attractive, but I've only seen it on smaller knives so far.

Back